a trip to derbyshire

TODAY WENT FOR A DRIVE INTO DERBYSHIRE AS USUAL NO WERE IN PARTICULAR. GOT TO BUXTON ANDENDED UP GOING VIA CHAPLE LE ENTIRTH AND TURNED TOWARDS CASTLETON AS WE STARTED TO CLIMB THE HILL UP TOWARDS THE BLUE JOHN MINES SPOTED ON OR TWO HANG GLIDERS HAD JUST SAID TO DAVE LOOKS LIKE ONE OR TWO GLIDERS OUT TODAY. JUST AS WE REACHCHTOWARDS THE TOP OF THE HILL AN AMAZING SIGHT MET US COMMING FROM ALL POINTS OF THE HILLS SUROUNDIND WERE FIFTY TO SIX HANG GLIDERS AND PARRA GLIDERDERS OF ALL DOFFERENT COULOURS IT LOOKED AMAZING THE BETIFUL COULOURS AGAINST THE BRILLIAN BRIGHT SKY. AS THERE WERE SO MANY CARS PULLED UP IT WAS IMPOSIBLE TO STOPAND WATCH FOR A WHILE BUT I WISH WE HAD TAKEN THE CAMERA OUT WITH US. PROSUMME IT WAS A CLUB MEET OR CONVENTION OF SOME KINDAS WE DROVE TOWARDS HOPE AND HETHERSAGE WE PASSED EVENMORE CARS WITH HANG GLIDERS ON TOP SO HOW MANY THERE WOULD BE IN THE END I DONT KNOW BUT IT WAS AN AMAZING SIGHT FOR ME.

A mate of mine used to practice every dangerous sport there was...Hang gliding nearly cost him his life though, he crashed into a hill side caused by a freak wind. He was in hospital unconscious for days.

He once told me he glided up to 10,000 feet once, he said he was well above the legal height he was allowed. He did it just for the hell of it, "God it was cold up there" he said..

I had a few goes back in the 70's , when it was called "High Kiting" for some long forgotten reason, only getting to fly 'two's up' on those occations. On one flight we actually caught a good thermal that took us up a bit , so much so that we were up for a good half hour and landed back on top of the hill !!

The weekend I was due to go 'solo' was a total washout and after that I had moved on to pastures new, so never got up again.

Great fun though , and highly recommended to any of you physically (un) fit to try it . I don't think I could do straight off of a cliff edge though ! just a nice steep hill will do for me thank you very much.

sorry every one for my terible spelling on this bad even for me but hope you all get the gist of it. tried to edit it but lost every thing i had put on but its back. so wont mess about with it. and before some of you bright sparks ask no i had not had a drink since thursday

No problem with your spelling or upper-case text Babs

You will see any errors underlined in red, you can correct these if you wish by right clicking on that word and choosing the correct word. However the posts that you make have been no problem to read.

How come I don't get an auto spell checker ( I had actually installed ispell but that dissapeared in the recent system upgrade !)

How come I don't get an auto spell checker ( I had actually installed ispell but that dissapeared in the recent system upgrade !)

You don't need it do you Beefy old chap?...on the other hand...d-i-s-s-a-p...........MMMM! Yeah! good idea..... !rotfl!

Mam Tor is the place the hang gliders launch themselves from, as you say a great sight, also in the same area is Winnats pass, cycled up it many times but never had the nerve to cycle down it, and the walk from Mam Tor to Lose hill and back into Castleton is well worth the effort

Rog