Railway line from Calverton pit

Just wondered if anyone has any info, pics or history on the old line that travelled from Calverton pit under the A614 and A60 and on towards Bestwood Village and beyond? I'd be particularly interested to hear if anyone has walked along it or indeed if it is possible to do so. Ashley, anyone?

Stu, a site I've mentioned before http://www.rcts.org..../mysteryphotos/

In the "Location" box scroll down and there are two entries for "Cotgrave xxxx". Only one photo in each, but it's better than none!

And this I got from a book

calv.jpg

Describes it as "after the line was singled" and apparently it is a minor lane near Papplewick Pumping Station. I've looked on Google and I reckon it's the one to the right of the "A"

http://maps.google.c...=h&z=15&vpsrc=6

Thanks Cliff Ton, I'll take a look at those. I've driven over that line on the two main roads north about a million times always resolving to go down and investigate one day. I have been on bits and pieces of it not far from Papplewick Pumping Station and I know there is also a footpath running roughly parallel with it between the A614 just above the Seven Mile House and Papplewick village.

Thanks again.

Doesn't show it that clearly on google map but the line went over the A614 (bridge still there), not a line I was interested in, never walked etc but read after the pit shut etc some "experts" questioning why the line had been double tracked? with theories that it was going to be some cross country connection? mentioned elsewhere somewhere on here

It would be interesting to see any photos of trains on that line, or any other pit or industrial lines come to that? I remember seeing steam trains crossing Melbourne Rd, also one on the line that ran at back of Eltham Close from Broxtowe? pit, even had a footplate ride on one at Stanton Ironworks but photos of such are rare

Thanks for the info, Cliff Ton and Ashley - much appreciated.

Yes, quite a coincidence re the news story there. I think history tells us that we have to be circumspect when taking these formerly built avenues though the towns and countryside and rendering them no longer usable for transport.

Having said that there are examples of them being put to good use such as in the Southwell Trial and in the Peak District. I really can't see them ' attracting more tourists to the county' as suggested in the news articles though. Nice for locals though.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I walked along the Calverton line in summer 2011. Here's a link to a blog post I wrote about it: http://spottingthego...s-to-nowhere-4/

There is a link to a set of photos from the walk at the end of the post.

Sadly (in my opinion), it appears that the rails have since been lifted and the vegetation cleared in preparation for the laying of a recreational path. The route has to be protected for potential future rail use, though, in line with local government policy.

Richard

I would have thought an ideal branch off the tram or robin hood line? with park and ride site near the mansfield road, guess a bit too obvious for the powers that be? Can't say I've walked that route, guess spoilt by the masses of former GCR GNR NSR sites etc that were around for years after line closures

That sounds an interesting idea Ashley. Certainly some kind of spur from near Bestwood Mill Lakes out to the A60/A614.

I plan to walk this route when I get the time, I'll take my camera and heed Richard's helpful account above.

A few more pics:

http://www.calvertonvillage.com/CollieryRailwayPictures.html

And the proof is there! it can (could have been) done! I'm not joking these planners or whatever have,'t got the brains they were born with, IF they are (were) thinking of easing congestion, working for the public in general instead of some daft grand design dream why the hell haven't these former routes been reinstated? Much has been said of the former GCR/GNR routes within the city but nothing of the long gone GC bridge over the Trent used ala The Lady Bay one? and now it looks like the Calverton,Gedling and Cotgrave routes are going? Maybe it's me and I know nothing of likes of costs, feasibility etc? or maybe they have seperate ideas? spend £9 million on a local bus terminus, or the however many millions to get the trams to Beeston along a route already with a good bus service? Perhaps the master plan is you drive in to likes of Radcliffe, Calverton or Cotgrave, park up and then walk in to work on the new footpaths? probably be no work soon so doubt that's the master plan though? still we can always roar down the new A453 to the 80mph M1 for a night at an open air bar in likes of Brixton,lol