• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't come across a photo of the whole run of three bridges, but here's a Pic the Past of the short stretch of road between two bridges And those houses are/were here....... must've been a real

Thank You Ravintrainman. I have split your original post as it deserves a Topic of its own. It is worth putting it on our Calendar

For a few shots of part of the real thing........... http://www.rcts.org....79&img=G-241-35 http://www.rcts.org....78&img=G-241-34 http://www.rcts.org....80&img=G-241-36

Afraid I can't claim the credit, as mentioned wish it had included the other 2 bridges, the more I look at it the more I see, just noticed how wide the London North Western bridge over Sneinton Hermitage was just before their goods station (top right), there,s a few less Midland sidings/lines than on an undated but post 1904 pre 1923 map I have but those shown follow original map lines, inc the 2 severed ones on the left which orginally ran from the melton route around the sidings as shown to join the Lincoln line just east of the level crossing

just seen your post Cliff Ton, not sure when meant to be, just read in a book those "severed lines" were "an upgrade to the line from from the crossing to avoid the sidings" does not say when added, could have severed with the closing of the Melton Line over Lady Bay bridge?

• 3 months later...

Phew, trying to catch up on some of the photos & comments re meadow lane area/railways. I was a Midland loco fireman 1948-63, know the area well as I lived on Brand St. I also walked past the 3 houses between the GN bridges 4 times a day to & from Sneinton Blvd. school. The Stevensons lived in the detached house with their 4 daughters Gladys,( now Iremonger, Beechdale) twins Margery & Margaret & Olga, the Kirks were nextdoor but one, son Stan was a school mate.

The panorama Ashley has almost too much to take in, the severed goods line on the left ran over London Rd junction through to Beeston sidings. Ican also trace the double scissor movement through the GN Exchange sidings across all the tracks up to Trent Lane junction (not shown) and the reverse into Manvers St. goods yard, then only used for wagons of govmt. surplus material for Jackie Pownalls & bananas for the ripening wharehouse beneath (Hintons & later Ffyfes)

Nice post Albert, let's hear some more! someone wrote (somewhere) re how when looking at maps you keeps seeing more? it's true! prompted by bits in post I looked at a map in a book I have and for first time saw there was another bridge over Canal Street, one I'd totally forgotten about, the one from Weekday Cross to the GNR at Trent Lane seen through the arch of the GCR mainline one

NTGM018546.jpg

The second Bridge is new to me too Ash.

I take it the premises on the left just through the arch are Midland Magneto

Further to Ashley's two-bridges picture, here's one of a train coming from Weekday Cross on that same bridge. At the rear end of the train you can see the "Fitchett and Wollacott" advert on the side of the bridge. That is facing towards London Road - the opposite direction to Ashley's photo.

bridge-3.jpg

Further to Ashley's two-bridges picture, here's one of a train coming from Weekday Cross on that same bridge. At the rear end of the train you can see the "Fitchett and Wollacott" advert on the side of the bridge. That is facing towards London Road - the opposite direction to Ashley's photo.

bridge-3.jpg

I have a large scale map of this area(Broad/Narrow Marsh, Canal Street before the railway was built & some smaller scale maps too.(1950s)

We could do with getting an 'After shot' for that 'Before pic'?

Where would it have been taken from to get that High angle?

Where would it have been taken from to get that High angle?

It's a shot which would be impossible now due to new buildings. I reckon it was taken from the rear of the Boots offices on Station Street (now Capital One)

At that time everything on the south side of Canal Street was fairly low-level; but now there is a massive apartment/office block which would prevent any view of trains (if the line still existed)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Michael Sorry for the delay in replying, bisee bisee. I spent most of my childhood on Brand St. leaving in 1953, I recollect some boys in your backyard playing football with a 'dried milk' tin as a ball, I was on night shift at the time !!! We were @ No.10 & @ 14 (back 2 back with U) were the Frosts, my grandparents. Elder brother Len & wife lived with Grandad for several years, 2 younger sisters were Evelyn & Shiela. Mum & Dad stayed on till being rehoused prior to demolition 1970ish. Many memories but poor on names!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your reply, Albert it was nice to hear from you. I had to laugh at your comment regarding the 'dried milk tin' although I realise you wouldn't have been laughing at the time. I've spoken to my eldest brother, John and he remembers a few people on Brand Street (Where's Deeps when you need him). Some of the people I remember are the Pepper's (daughter Janet) and the other side of the entry was the Stainsby's. John remembers they had a nice looking daughter called Jean. Opposite the Stainsby's on Brand Street were the Edwards. My friend was Douglas and there was Barry and Glynne(?) and their parents. Georgie Panter was also my friend. John also remembers Betty Bassett and you had to be a bit nifty on your feet to escape a bite from her dog. There was also Mrs Wyler who had a son called Len. In my family there were my parents Arthur and Phoebe, my eldest brother John, then Arch, myself then my younger sister Margaret. We left Grainger Street in 1960 and went to live off Valley Road, Sherwood. I hope I've brought you some memories, Albert and if I have then let me know about them so that I can reminisce with you too.

Albert, I've been thinking of the Frosts. Was it the same Frost's who had a shop on Meadow Lane?

i've got some photos taken from the roof of the galleries of justice earlier this year, fairly high up but looking in the opposite direction to cliff tons pic, in fact the roof i was on seems to be just out of shot on the left in that photo.

i'll have a dig around for them.

*edit* found em-

2r7216g.jpg

a9fd3.jpg

352rpna.jpg

• Upvote 1

trickets rag yard just the other side of that bridge, were the bike is was railings for monkey park now were virgin meadea is

that should have said meadow lane pics

bet some of you meadow lane guys remember monkey park better than i do we always used to play on there on the way to pleasure park and if we had the energy on the way back up meadow lane to catch bus back to netherfield too.

wow just looked at my profie and realizes i have made 155 post in last 3 weeks

• Upvote 1

Babs, where does 'Monkey Park' come from? I assume you mean the Recreation Ground on the corner of Daleside Road and Trent Lane. When I lived on Grainger Street off Meadow Lane I would play football on there. The games would often be the Meadows against the Sneinton and it was never for the faint hearted with about 15 a side and anything goes. The teams were made up of people of all ages and there was always trouble but it just added to the fun. I had my first serious fight at one of these games when I was about nine or ten and my elder brothers carried me off the park on their shoulders as others patted me on the back because I'd won. I couldn't wait to get home to tell my Mum but when I did I got a clout for fighting and warned that she'd tell my Dad if I did it again. I also remember Trickets because when I was about ten we'd put the rags into a pram and I'd go and weigh them in for cash. They'd weigh the rags and then the woolens as you'd get more money for the woolens. I remember one time they found some big stones in the pockets and I was told if it happened again I'd be banned. When I told my Dad he just laughed and said "You can't win everytime". Obviously, the stones made them heavier so you would get more money. We also used to use the pram to fetch the weeks grub from the CO-OP on the corner of Meadow Lane and Daleside Road. In fact we used to use the pram for everything except babies...lol

Re; Phil Box's three photos; here's a couple I took a while ago with different angles of the same area showing the last remaining parts of the old Broad Marsh. On Phil's photos you can see a building with a white lower half; that is Popham Street and this is looking up Popham Street with that building on the left.

marsh1.jpg

Just about the only surviving example of what the whole Broad Marsh area looked like in the early part of the 20th century.

And this is a surviving railway bridge abutment on Maltmill Lane, part of the line which went from Weekday Cross to Trent Lane

marsh2.jpg

• Upvote 1

yes thats the one i ment micheal we used to call it monkey park because of the big climbing frame used to remind me of the ones in the monkey house at twycross zoo in the 50s. like you we used to come to trickets from netherfield , a lot further to walk than you on meadow lane,we used to get an old pram from somebody fill it up with as much as we could put on it then a gang of us would walk up colwick rd to trent lane and down to trickets we all had our own little carrier bag with our picknic for the day . we would then way in our rags and wools and the pram then trough the bridge to monkey park have a little play on there then we would go off down to pleasure park have our picnic and spend our shear of the cash we had made at trickets keeping back 3d each for the bus fair back to netherfield that was when kids were allowed to get on the bus on there own,as i got that little bit older it was my job to divi up the money and save everyones 3ds for bus , so we didnot have to walk all the way home again after a long day out ,it was still a long walk to the bottom of netherfield once we got of the bus. sometimes some of the mums would come too with the younger kids on the bus and meet us at trickets and off we would all go to pleasure park a real community day out, and cheap too.

• Upvote 1

Yes babs, I can remember the climbing frame and there was also a large slide I'd play on. I also remember a 'merry-go-round' or 'carousel', I'm not sure what you call it now. You'd push it round until you got some speed up and then jump on. As I was reading your post I was thinking to myself what a fun day you would have had at Monkey Park and then on to the Pleasure Park for your picnic. We made our own fun in those days unlike today where people are sat on their bums, obsessed with mobile phones and electronic gadgets. The Monkey Park and Pleasure Park were 'our era' and the mobile phone etc.is 'todays era'. I wonder what 'era' our great grand kids will live through.

• Upvote 1

yes micheal

although none of us had a lot of money or toys ect we certainly had lots of fun for nothing or very little money and our expectations were much less than the kids youth of today but i think we were much happier for it .and our moral values and respect for what we did have was much greater than it is now in this trow away socity dont want it any more so weel bin it and get something new, but i am glad i was brought up then rather than now