R.I.P. Davy Jones

Monkees singer Davy Jones has died aged 66

The US gossip site reports that an official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them of his death.

It is thought he died of a heart attack this morning.

Mancunian Davy was lead singer of the Monkees, having joined the band in 1965 along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork.

The band were originally put together for American TV programme The Monkees - and were meant to be like The Beatles.

They sold more than 65 million copies worldwide and had massive hits such as 'Daydream Believer', 'Last Train To Clarksville' and 'I'm A Believer'.

His last live performance was on February 19 in Oklahoma.

In 1965 I would run all the home to Norton Street from playing on the Forest Recreation ground,

to watch the Monkees on TV. Wasnt Davy also Circus Boy.

Mentioned here elswhere?

RIP

So sad about Davy passing. I was watching him in a TV programme about boy bands the other evening and thought he looked so well and so articulate in his speech.

God Bless Davy, you and your fellow members in 'The Monkees' left us with some beautiful songs. X

No mick, it was Mickey Dolenz who was 'Circus Boy'.

Although I believe Davy J was in Coronation Street for a time before the Monkees started.

On a musical note....back in the mid 60s, with everybody I knew you were either a fan of the Beatles or the Monkees; one was for serious people and the other was for the girlies. At the time there was no choice for any real music fans.

But in later years I began to listen to the Monkees material again and, regardless of whether they played on it or whether they were real or manufactured, I realised that their singles were bl**dy good and have stood the test of time better than a lot from that era. I have a 3 x CD compilation of most of their recorded material, and I can listen to it today without any problem.

And on a final note - even though Davy Jones was usually regarded as the front man of the group, he didn't sing the lead vocals very often (Daydream Believer being a notable exception, as Jackson mentioned earlier). Lead vocals were usually Micky Dolenz, the front man who sat at the back.

And a final final note....I worked at Central TV on Lenton Lane for many years, and in the early days Micky Dolenz worked there as a Producer/Director on childrens programmes, so I was on nodding terms with him in the corridor for a while.

And he lived somewhere in Leicestershire

• Upvote 1

Grantham ain't far from Leicestershire....

Dolenz produced (Or maybe directed ,) the highly successful Astra which continued Patsy Kensits progress to fame (After the frozen peas advert) He was also responsable for Metal Mickey IMMSC

Any way RIP Davey ( who played Ena Sharples grandson in Corrie) I met him once too in Barbados 1989, staying at the same hotel as us, he was a guest at the wedding of Donald Pleasance, which took place on the beach by our hotel too. Nice (ish) bloke, although you got the feeling that he really wanted to be somewhere else at the time rather than 'engaging in pleasantries' with us.

I had always thought he lived in the Newark area. Seems like he did for some time according to the below:.

'WHEN The Monkees split in 1969, after three brief but hit-filled years, drummer Micky Dolenz decided to move in to the world of television. And it was a move that would eventually bring him to Nottinghamshire.

By the 1980s, he was in demand as a television director in Britain, which prompted the Californian singer, drummer and actor to move to London.

"I was doing work for several different television companies," says the 65-year-old.

"We were looking all round the UK for a home. We had three young children and wanted to live in the country but still be within striking distance of London. And we found Winthorpe House. Central Television were offering me work in the area so it worked out perfectly."

Set in six acres and with up to ten bedrooms, the luxurious Georgian mansion near Newark reputedly cost him around £180,000 in 1989.

"It was a wonderful lifestyle; polo ponies in the summer and hunting and fishing in the winter," says Dolenz.

"But that house was hard work too. A massive amount of time and energy was needed to maintain it. It was a huge property and, on top of the initial investment, I had a full-time staff just to keep it the way it needed to be kept, as it was a beautiful Georgian home."

He adds: "But I love gardening and I was able to spend so much time doing that. It was great."

Dolenz regularly appeared at local village events but moved out in the early 90s when he and his wife split up.'

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Hey-Hey-Micky-s-Monkee/story-12243608-detail/story.html

• Upvote 1