Ghost stories of nottingham?

I went to the Spiritualist Church on Derby Road many times about 30 years ago. They never asked to visit my home or asked directly for money. Although we did put some cash in the collection. I found them to be nice people, regarding the mediums, some were better than others.

I received a few messages. When the medium comes to the person, sometimes there is a feeling of connection, as if no-one else is in the room but you two. One was good news, although it seemed at the time to be very improbable, it came true. Another was a warning, which I forgot, until it came true.

I can't say that spiritualism or other paranormal happenings are 100% true, but my personal experiences suggest that just because scientists don't know how it can happen, it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

As far as taking money off the gullible is concerned, organised religions, especially the Church of Rome have been shamelessly doing this for centuries.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haven't you had enough? You've already been Casanova, Romeo and Ben! 

That is spooky, Carni. Thank goodness Poppy survived.   I have only ever had spooky experiences actually in houses. I used to live in an old farm house, near Newark, which had creepy stairs,

Waffle indeed !!   you never watched ''Randall and Hopkirk''                   

never been to a spritulist church my self but know a few who have . had never really belived in fortune telling untill in my late teens met a guy through some friends who insisted on telling me my fortune even giving me the half crown to cross his palm with , but the stuff he told me was amazing and has since happened of course at the time i just laught it of but even more ammazing to me was what he told me about some of the things that had happened to me in my life before this , not hard some of you will saybut the things he told me i had never told any one about including my own family and even today things i have never told anyone about including dave, so how did he know these things i will never know.

bryan as most people who know me will tell you i am agnostic and have no personal belife in god or the bible but do belive that each indervidual as the right to belive in what they choose and i am very sceptical about mystics and sprituists but this gut still has me wondering

Hi Babs,

my inquiry was that the 'belief' in God and the bible are taken without hard proof,much the same as spiritualism.

I am not questioning the individuals rights in their beliefs

For what it's worth, here's my twopennorth:

I have already said in previous threads that my maternal grandmother was a practising medium for over forty years. She certainly believed in God too. A short while before she died she told me that I "had the gift". A gift has to come from someone - and I know of no-one who gave me any gifts of the kind being discussed here. True, odd things happen to me and I sometimes foresee things such as the fatal motorcycle crash killing a friend - but anyone riding a bike has a good chance of crashing so that sort of thing could well be co-incidence. I was brought up Roman Catholic, together with all the beatings and brainwashing that came as a package with the religion in those days. I no longer believe in God or Angels or Satan, etc.. The whole business of religion makes no sense to me.

I went to the Derby Road Spiritualist Church on a few occasions and wasn't particularly impressed; although a very good friend of mine was in charge of the services for many years, until he became too infirm to continue. Incidentally, he too believes in God.

So where is this leading? If someone will look up the name Wilford Wilson in connection with the murder of wife and children in the 1800s then maybe we can make a more positive statement, for this name came from a spirit 'Ouija' board back in the late 1960s. It has certainly made an impression on me but I will not declare it to be spirits; more likely the way in which the glass flung itself against a wall and smashed. Did someone push the glass? I don't know; there were three of us at the table and it would have taken co-ordination between all of us to hurl the glass with such force; it just seemed to leap from under our fingers.

I have a feeling that one of my ex ladies, one who meant more to me than any other, has died. I cannot say if it is correct because I last saw her in 1980. I have no idea where she went or what name she used after we parted. Maybe one day I will hear news, maybe not. Anyway what I'm saying is I don't believe in spirits nor do I disbelieve. I have what I think is an open mind about the issue.

bryan i did realalize what you ment so dont worry just trying to say from a personal view that although i am agnostic i am still very open minded on religion and life after death in what ever form it might come.

I still question my beliefs, i guess i will because im still quite young. Iv experienced many spooky things, many without a rationable explination. Trust me, iv sat there on almost every occasion trying to think up of an explination mainly to make myself feel better, but often, there isnt one. When it comes to physics and mediums, i do think there are some phony ones, i went to a physic church a few weeks back, there was a 'medium' there, who got everything wrong, he just guessed everything. He told someone their mum was with him, he went on to say about a holiday, a car, some fond memories.. After he said it, the women who he was talking to then piped up and said - That woman sat next to me is my mum. I dont have a car, nore will i be able to afford one or a holiday for that matter. he was just laughable. The person im related to has never been wrong about anything, when i was about 16/17, they told me the age id fall pregnant, whos the dad name would be and said that would be the person i settled down with. I got pregnant at that age & month i was told, the person's name they told me is my partner. Thats only one example of what iv been told. But thats in my own experience, theyv never charged me for anything they have said.

Even though iv experienced the happenings in my house, receieved messages and been told things no one else could of known, i still question if we even come back, i have a terrible fear of death, dying and what happens next. Weve spoke about my fear before on another thread, but its got no better. As for myself having the gift, mine are usually in dream, i get warnings or messages, one dream shown me everything about the birth of my daughter, i was shown the room, the bed & the clock i was shown was at 1:00, My daughter was born bang on 1:00. & i had never been in a labour suit before. A few weeks back, i had a dream my cat was attacked, i ignored it & had another dream of the same thing, exactly 7 days after my cat came home covered in blood, hed been attacked and his neck cut and a bad limp... Thats one of the examples about what i experience within myself. I also see and feel things.

I dont believe in god, i dont read the bible, i just try and hold faith in what i believe in (The after life) Although you could see my thoughts and opinions and believes as a spiritualist, So in that case, i guess you could say i was sort of religious. I dont believe god made the universe, nore do i believe in jesus. I just think something must of happend for the religion to start, but what? Maybe jesus was one of the first recognised physics, people didnt know about physics in those days, but mary being a virgin? i just dont believe it. I take great comfort in knowing someones around me who i cant see, but on the same token, i still dont think ill come back when i die.

Some people believe & some people dont, some people dont believe & still experience things that they cant explain, i dont mock anyone with religious views or peoples beliefs, we all have the same fate & whatever someone takes comfort in to make their life happier and easier is nothing to do with anyone else, i respect them if anything for holding such a strong believe and laying their faith in it.

A stimulating and interesting epistle, Pixie. Fear of death is very common but a fellow called Tom Lodge, senior DJ on Radio Caroline in 1964, overcame this by studying Zen. He eventually became a Zen Master and as he lay dying he continued to post his thoughts and feelings on Facebook. It was an experience 'watching' this man die; his thoughts, feelings, pain, etc. As his time drew closer he began to look forward to the transition to what he called the next chapter and in his final note, just hours before he died, he wished everyone happiness and expressed a desire for everyone to feel happy for him at the beginning of his new journey. What a man he was!

Wow, what an amazing guy! Very brave. Iv been known to run to the bathroom to be sick whenever thr though pops into my head, i feel pathetic for it. My partner laughs at me cos i cant watch murder mystery programs or anything that involves dead people. I confuse myself because on one hand i believe in the after life, spirits etc.. But on the other, i still dont believe ill come back, i fear eternal darkness & not knowing how my family is after my passing & in ways, im scared ill be forgotten.

1. You will not be forgotten.

2. Average life expectancy in UK has risen from 71.1yrs in 1960 to 80.4yrs in 2010 and is likely to keep rising so no worries there! (See No.4)

3. I used to work in a crematorium - it's gets you used to facing the inevitable.

4. For a bit of fun take a look at this life expectancy calculator: http://www.uwic.ac.uk/shss/dom/newweb/lifestyle/age_expectancy2.htm I'd be interested to see how you score :o)

Thankyou for those words of comfort, its strange how we all fear it to an extent isnt it. It doesnt effect my day to day life, its when im in bed withthe lights off, just dropping to sleep, the thought creeps in and bang im awake.

...Speaking on physics, i went to see one a while back, no one knew about the fear i have at the time, the guy told me my granma with with him & was saying those nights when you get scared, think of jesus on the cross ontop of a hill, then the sun shining behind him,.. think of the sun. He had no idea what he was on about as he didnt know me from adam but you know what, i think of that now & it helps.. Gonna do the calculator now, what did you score Compo?

I scored 90, leaving 69 years to annoye everyone, muahaha!

pixie i think many of us when we young had a fear of death but as you get older and your understanding differs from when you were young your fears subside and you accept the inevitable more. i also think as a young mum of young children the greatest fear isof what would happen to your children if anything were to happen to you but as your children get older you know they can look after themselfs more and you get less worried.

i think alot to do with the fear in younger people too is the fact alot of us at my age havent done much with their life yet or experienced many things that the older people who dont fear it as much have. still a horrible fear to have, but iv read on the internet of people with the fear alot worse than i have it.

I dont believe in god, i dont read the bible, i just try and hold faith in what i believe in (The after life) Although you could see my thoughts and opinions and believes as a spiritualist, So in that case, i guess you could say i was sort of religious. I dont believe god made the universe, nore do i believe in jesus. I just think something must of happend for the religion to start, but what? Maybe jesus was one of the first recognised physics, people didnt know about physics in those days, but mary being a virgin? i just dont believe it. I take great comfort in knowing someones around me who i cant see, but on the same token, i still dont think ill come back when i die.

Some people believe & some people dont, some people dont believe & still experience things that they cant explain, i dont mock anyone with religious views or peoples beliefs, we all have the same fate & whatever someone takes comfort in to make their life happier and easier is nothing to do with anyone else, i respect them if anything for holding such a strong believe and laying their faith in it.

Pixie

Firstly, respect to you that you are accepting of other people's faiths, always a good place to start from.

From what you say here though and from many other references in the words you write in this thread you appear, if I may say so very respectfully, to gain little from your own particular faith by the way you detail your troubled feelings.

It's also interesting to note that you seem easily able to have faith in matters of the 'afterlife' and 'spiritualism' but not in God.

I dont believe in god, i dont read the bible, i just try and hold faith in what i believe in (The after life)

It's not for me to say but one day you may feel differently.

Pixie,

reading your post 33,you state " nor do I believe in Jesus".

Reading further down on your post 37, " I think of that now and it helps",is that in reference to Jesus on the cross, with the sun behind him?

The ancient Greeks knew about psychics, around 600 BC,the most famous being the 'Oracle at Delphi'.

The thing i think about to make me feel about (jesus on the cross) it isnt jesus i think about, its purely the sun behind the cross, its not even the cross i acknowlege, I believe in evolution as theres alot of proof we evolved. If i prey, i dont prey to 'god' i prey to the people around me, the ones who can help to guide you in the right direction. I went to a CofE school, regular church visits etc. But i was never pushed into believing it, i was brought up to make my own mind up, which i have, but maybe one day something will make me more religious, who knows, im a big believer in fate & i believe if you have no faith within anything you dont have much of a 'drive', Everythings planned out before your even born in my opinion & what happens, happens for a reason, because everything that does happen, is MEANT to happen. Like i said before, i think i contradict myself alot with my thoughts and views on religious topics and what i believe in.

Everythings planned out before your even born in my opinion & what happens, happens for a reason, because everything that does happen, is MEANT to happen. Like i said before, i think i contradict myself alot with my thoughts and views on religious topics and what i believe in.

By whom? If there is no supernatural being.

Not trying to be sarky here, but you have raised an interesting question.

I am also curious about the entities that the so called mediums communicate with. I would not dispute that they may be able to give you info that definitely seems to fit. Question is where do they get it from?

Those who resort to mediums, fortune tellers etc. always seem to work on the assumption that the spiritual beings they communicate with are benign and always tell the truth. I would suggest it 'ain't necessarily so.

If these beings operate outside the space time continuum with which we are familiar it is quite possible that they know things about you and your family which amaze you when you hear them. Thus a greater dependence on these beings is created.

What is their ultimate purpose in communicating with human beings? As the old saying goes, there's no free lunch.

Human beings will often lie to you or try to con you for whatever purpose they have in mind. Why would we assume that spirits are any different?

I write with some trepidation as I have seen discussions of spiritual topics on the web go down the hill fast. My purpose in posting the above is not to create argument but hopefully to stimulate some creative thinking. We ignore spitual things at our peril.

These mentions of ancient contacts via the mediums or whatever they are called can now be verified easily

via Ancestry.Com, in fact they might even get them from there?

I would like to hear what a medium has to say about my father, there are specific things about that man that I would

know, but mediums would not.

"Do we have the grandchild of Tom in the audience.... Thomas.... Jonathon... John,, Yes... He has asked me to give you a message"

Totally get what you mean, there's no hard proof, iv only ever had two people tell me things that where right or came true. I guess it all depends on what you believe in, Everyones untitled to their views. But it seems like alot of people clame to be mediums etc and they take wild guesses. Do you know a such and such? No? What about a name beginning with P? Brilliant, right I have that person with me now... Alot of people can work on your facial expressions, body language, we could all get quite cought up in this debate. As iv said, I do believe some what in after life, but on the other hand I don't. So I'm pretty mutual on the subject for now. And I have no idea, I just think if somethings goin to happen, then it's going to happen, everything happens for a reason. Somethings happen to open our eyes, somethings happen to make way for a new experience or a new chapter in our lives etc. I never really give much thought in religion, but reading this thread back to myself, reading about my own beliefs, I'm thinking alot of these are the same as a believer of god etc, maybe I should have a flick through the bible......

A read through the Bible is a pretty good idea. That said, I would not start in Genesis and try to read it through. Its a pretty fair bet you would get bogged down in the geneologies and laws of Deuteronomy and Numbers. Best place to start is the book of John in the New Testament. Just try to read it as you would any book without any pre-conceived ideas. You might be surprised.

"I guess it all depends on what you believe in, Everyones untitled to their views." (End quote)

Not really. There is such a thing as objective reality. Spiritual beings can be real whether I believe in them or not.

I was an electrician for many years. I might have believed with all my heart that a cable was turned off. But if I happened to be wrong and it was still live it could kill me just as dead no matter what I believed.

The Bible tells us: 1 John 4:1-2 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

Now there's a pretty good test.

My mother was a great believer in astrology. Needless to say we had some pretty interesting discussions, not always too pleasant. She was very entrenched in her beliefs that the stars and planets could influence our lives here on earth depending on when we were born.

If I remember rightly her final word on the topic was something like, "Well you believe what you want to believe."

Well I did, (Believe what I wanted to believe) and it has never let me down. Through the death of my first wife and many other issues which I won't bore you with. It has also totally removed my fear of death. I'm human, I fear pain to some degree, but after I breathe my last I have no fears of what will happen at all.

as you know dave we as a family were brought up attending methodist chaple although we went to sunday school we were never forced into going , and i i got older i tried quite a few different sunday schools manly because that was were my friends were going at the time , from being about 12 to 15 years old i attended a penticostal sunday school and also went to bible classes for us teenagers were we read and studid the bible and what we thought the meanings of this were, i then driffted away from church and my various life experiences brought about my change of veiws on god and the bible and i became what i would say was agnostic in my own belifes.

as for the one time i did have my fortune told i have no way of knowing how this man knew the things he didincluding things i have never told anybody to this day including my husband or my family . and the things he told me about my future that no one even to this day knows about that have since happened.

i will never tell anybody some of the things but have rightenit down and it is put with other stuff to be opened only after i die. this person a;so wrote me some of his predictions down and this is also with these papers. make of that what you will.

You can't flick through the bible,to Christians it is the Word of God,and is studied in a revered manner.

"I'm thinking a lot of these are the same as a believer in god etc"

There is nothing the same as a believer in God,you are a believer in God or you aren't.

Pixie, you must understand the Bible is a Holy book,not a magazine to flick through.By your casual remark, it may cause offence, or hurt to people who read these posts and are Christians.

Please think carefully before you write about some thing you obviously know little of.

Bryan