It's 35 years this year since Mrs 'bro and me tied the knot. Had me thinking, what wedding presents do we still have?

We have a wooden fruit bowl, an ornamental plate, some cutlery and a wall plate. I cannot think of enything else.

35 years ago many presents were functional, most are long gone.

What is your most enduring wedding present(s)?

Hi littlebro, the only wedding present I've left over is a Carriage Clock and I'm looking at it now - whilst typing - placed centre of the shelf on the fireplace in my lounge; its design I'd describe as timeless!

The clock was a present from my mum and dad and bought from the Co-op jewellers in the big store on Parliament Street; I still have its information sheet.

When I was a child, a clock always stood centre on the fireplace shelf; I can see that I'm keeping up the tradition. :smile:

not exactally a wedding present as such but before i gotmarried i used to pay in to a club at work when i worked at boots in beeston it was for a shop in beeston i think was called gimsons and when i had saved about 50 pounds i would go and exchange the vouchers for things for my bottom draw . one day i went down and saw a set of 4 really good pans the price on the bottom pan was about 15 pounds i asked if that was the price of the set or just the largest set ,man behind the counter said whole set meduck ill have them i said and he wrapped them up i also got a dinner set and full set of pirex dishes . when i got the pans home and unwrapped them found they all had indervidual prices on totaling about 40 pounds so i got a real bargin.still got and use the pans and some of the pirex dishes are still in use too and i think if i look in my cuboard mite still be a plate or two about that was 40 years ago.

Sheffield steel cutlery set and kitchen scales. My new wife and I combined most of the stuff from our former marriages, sometimes can't remember now what belonged to who. I'm sure there's more stuff If I sat and thought about it more but that is what first comes to mind. As Littlebro says most presents of that era seemed to be very functional.

Two piece king size duvet, and some duvet covers and pillow cases (Unused because they've never matched the decor!) an (as yet) unused set of table cloths/serviettes and place mats, a wind up 'retro' style alarm clock and a ring (Third finger left hand) that no matter how many times I twist it , I still can't find the combination to get it off.

Mind you , we've only been married 12 and a half years!

I can't think of any remaining pressies from my first marriage - but I do still have my Wolf Cub jersey with the "Sixer" stripes and my sew-on badges.

We still have a Royal Doulton tea service, a set of Viners cutlery and a fire iron set. Nobody uses tea sets anymore, the cutlery is too dainty, and we don't have a fireplace, but apart from that I wouldn't part with them for anything!

Hi Kath, who says: 'nobody uses tea sets anymore, the cutlery is too dainty'? :ohmy:

Nothing beats a nice cup of tea in a lovely china cup, served with a home made scone - a dainty, stainless steel knife on your plate with which to butter it with. :Friends:

I couldn't think what the 'fire iron set' was properly called, it's just come to me, a companion set? [dustpan, brush, tongs and poker] if you come for a visit jackson, I'll get me posh stuff out for your cuppa.

It's a companion set Katyjay. If you're getting the posh tea set out let me know and I'll send you some real tea leaves to use with it.

You poor girl! Polishing brass for your gran by force - that's terrible

. !tony!

I know Compo, terrible what they put me through, a mere child: :(

Well I remember every Thursday afternoon, newspaper on the dining room table, whilst I delicate little soul that I was, was made to polish the brass companion set, brass candlesticks and other trinkets from off the fireplace, big, brass plant pot and big, brass wall plates - with galleons on them - you'll know the ones.

Brassed off I was at having to do the brasses and d'ya know what? I was ne' er given a piece of brass to thank me for my trouble. :Shock:

Only kidding . . . .

I quite liked doing the brasses for my grandmother; I thought 'Brasso' incredible stuff - magic wadding. I loved to polish them, make them shine as brightly as possible. :biggrin:

The only problem was having to do this chore every Thursday, every once in a while would have been appreciated.

I too enjoy cleaning brasses. At work I used to clean all the incinerator brasses daily. Had it been compulsory I would have been reluctant to do it. You have my sympathy for being under orders.

Don't have any of "our" wedding presents (first marriage), and the second time was a "stealth" wedding, so no presents. But, I do have a carriage clock that was one of my parents wedding presents, and my sister has their "wedding" tea service!

I got a garden spade as one of my wedding presents all nicely wrapped up in silver paper with a big red bow lol