May I add another thread to this topic?

Did anybody use to listen to Radio Luxembourg in the late 50s? Folks had an HMV valve radio back then and used to pick RL up of an evening. Bit scratchy but the only station back then that you could get the good music, apart from the Forces network requests on a Sunday morning which had some good tracks.

it's funny, this has gone into it's own new topic, yet email said it's in what are you listening to now? anyway much said of those days already, inc my memories of old valve radio in my own attic bedroom, really loved it up there as a kid, good view over Basford, Shippo,s star and Weldon's chimney (said to be tallest in Nottingham?) towards Aspley one way and GCR New Basford to Perry Rd with Hucknall aerodrome in distance the other. Had what I thought a nice smell for ages too! (no, not that!) caused by me bringing home masses of paper, school books, pencils, etc that were laying around the burnt out shell of sisson & parkers school warehouse on Palm Street (I think) all perfect condition, but stunk of smoke! lol

I split the post into its own topic

The reply notifications are sent as soon as the post is made.

Glad the system is working :)

My brother and I would always listen to Radio Luxembourg, especially on a Sunday evening. There was the 'Top Twenty Show' and also Horace Batchelor's 'Infra Draw Method' which was his way of winning the football pools. there was also the American Forces Network (AFN) from which I first started to hear the Blues and Rock & Roll music. I have a photo of my sister and I sitting next to the radiogramme listening to Radio Luxembourg. It was so stage managed by my Dad as we sat there looking so angelic, so funny. When my brother and I get together for a drink and we reminisce, Radio Luxembourg will always crop up during the conversation.

Trevor S, regarding 'good music' wasn't 'Saturday Club' - with Brian Matthew - going, back in the late 50's? :cool:

And the 'Forces network requests on a Sunday morning', do you mean 'Two Way Family Favourites'?

As teenagers, back in the late 50's, my sister and I in desperation tried to capture the Pirate Radio Luxembourg on the old, brown wireless. :yahoo:

Was that the BBC radio show with family greetings sent out to members of the UK armed forced abroad ?

If it was I remember a Notts request around 1970...

"Here we have a request from Mrs XXXXX from Crocus Street, The Meadows...

My that sounds like an idyllic place... Crocus Street, The Meadows?"

Trevor S, regarding 'good music' wasn't 'Saturday Club' - with Brian Matthew - going, back in the late 50's? :cool:

And the 'Forces network requests on a Sunday morning', do you mean 'Two Way Family Favourites'?

As teenagers, back in the late 50's, my sister and I in desperation tried to capture the Pirate Radio Luxembourg on the old, brown wireless. :yahoo:

Don't remember the Saturday Club but you may well be right re 2 Way Family Favourites. It was for our armed forces in Germany etc as per mick2me post.

Thanks Cliff Ton, I loved hearing the music again, I could remember my Mum sat on the backdoor step, with the sun shining, shelling the peas for our Sunday dinner. I'd be sat next to her and would try to sneak one into my mouth but she'd see me and give me a playful clip round the ear. While we were doing this Family Favourites would be on the radio.

• Upvote 1

Same here Michael; I remember sitting on the porch step and shelling peas, the smell of beef cooking from the kitchen nearby; later I'd go in to help make the Yorkshire puddings: some to have with the roast beef and some - a few blackberries dropped in - to be served for pudding. 'Family Favourites' on in the background - music to work by. :smile:

Nice one mick2me, nostalgia at it's best. 'Play With Fire' is a great song by the Rolling Stones. I've seen the Stones at the Marquee Club, In Nottingham and I was also at the 'Stones In The Park' concert after Brian Jones died. The Radio Luxembourg vid you put on shows the energy and buzz that was generated through the radio. Also, I should add, like Fynger says, lots of adverts.

Did you have to remind us mudgie? :Shock: 'The Billy Cotton Band Show' with Alan Breeze and Rita? and Kathy ? Almost as boring as 'The Black and White Minstrel Show. Still at least it was entertainment on a Saturday night which we hardly get now. :(

jackson, it didn't matter what you wore in those days, nobody cared..lol. Reports of up to half a million people attended the concert. As we were all travelling down to London the radio station kept giving regular updates on the attendance and getting more and more excited as it kept shooting up. The Stones had just released 'Honky Tonk Women' and it was on the radio every five minutes or so. All those people and I never saw any trouble at all. We were all there to see the Stones and pay our respects to Brian Jones. A fantastic day in my life.