Nottingham..but not as you know it.

http://www.nottshist...hamstreets1.htm

Reading about old Nottingham fascinates me...click on this map (in the link) and then increase the % to see clearly how Nottingham streets were set out in 1748.You will recognise many of the roads even though the names have changed.

How many realise that Milton Street (Boot Lane then) was once a hill until the whole area was massively lowered.The route into Nottingham from Mansfield was at that time most peculiar on reaching the city.It appears that Milton street was so narrow that carts and coaches would turn right at what we now know as Trinity square...up Forman Street to the end then left onto Parliament Street (In those days Back Side)

The lowering of the area will be one of the reasons that those that knew the Empire Cafe on Forman street will remember you had to go down two steps when entering the building.The cafe floor being originally the basement.

Lots of interesting reading on here to those interested...Woodborough road was very short and then a footpath only to Mapperley Plains.Traffic to the Plains would leave Mansfield Road at Red Lane (Redcliffe Road now) the road being nearly impassable in wet weather with the mud.

1aa2c246.jpg

Interesting too to see that the Trinity walk area was Mr Booths wood yard.And the Trinity Square area was still fields.

• Upvote 2

The thing which strikes me is the number of big houses with big gardens, right in the town centre.

City living isn't a new thing after all. The difference is that people who do it today live in boxes stacked up on top of each other, whereas back then if you lived in town you had an enclosed garden and mature grounds.

There is still one house with such a garden left,

Right bang in the middle of the city.

Its been asked before, I'll ask again

Where?

Is that a quiz, or do you not know? :)

It's Bromley House on Angel Row, just down from the Odeon.

Pic the Past have quite a few photos of the garden (and the building itself if you aren't sure which one it is)

There's quite a large garden to the rear of this place on Low Pavement

7293605252_5c6edc0940_b.jpg

Thanks for that one on the outskirts of the city Ian :)

I am sure you know the answer to the one in the city centre, But do the newbies?

I can't see any gardens behind houses on Angel Row, there's a couple of trees behind one building near the former Odeon, is that the one you mean Cliff?

The one I've posted is well and truely in the City Mick , it's on Low Pavement opposite Lloyds TSB, and only about 250 yards from the market square.

I've had another look at it and can't find any info on the place. Perhaps someone with a bit more local info can help,

Any way here it is from above:-

7294527902_93381cf216_b.jpg

Loads of garden there !

Think your building is now a Paul Smith outlet Beefy?

willoughby-16c-39772.jpg

It's next to Jamie's Italian Restaurant on Low Pavement close to the rear entrance to the Broad Marsh Centre.

12563067.jpg

That's the one Stu.

How long has Paul Smith had it , any ideas ?

I am mixing it up with the one between Maid Marion way and the castle.

But the one I am thinking of is even closer to the City Centre.

I can't see any gardens behind houses on Angel Row, there's a couple of trees behind one building near the former Odeon, is that the one you mean Cliff?

Look on Picture the Past for Bromley House. There are half a dozen photos of the garden, as well as quite a few interior shots.

poohbear, thanks for starting this topic as I've found it very interesting. I've lived in Nottingham all my life but since joining 'Nottstalgia' I've realised I know very little of the history of Nottingham. I also enjoy it when you have several members joining in to add their knowledge of the topic in question.