Who, Where and What ?

Guest scooterboy

Guest scooterboy

Righty oh. Being as it was me that put the complete name and picture to Brook Benton then it must be my turn for the next one... :ph34r:

So who is this chap, where was he born and what is he famous for ? :ph34r:

I know its a 3 part question but it should get you all thinking over the xmas period.. :ph34r:

post-29-1134469515_thumb.jpg

I don't think it is a scientist but an actor in the guise of a magician. I, like Bamber, know the face and it is driving me mad where I know it from. He looks a bit like Merlin out of King Arthur. If I knew how to use the image search that Bamber mention then I would be able to put myself out of my misery, as it is I will just have to wait.

A ;)

Guest scooterboy

That right Bip I did and thanks for pointing it out.

Born in sneinton. well done Angi, off you go with yours.

I know i dont reply very quickly, as it is the busiest time of the year for us cabbies.

cheers BIP :ph34r:

post-29-1135216542_thumb.png

You have all got it wrong, what I meant was, with Scoots having his busy time and all, did we have to wait for him to tell us that Angi was right!! Not that Mick had posted the conundrum. He is away and that was about as daring as I could get.

Whoooooo's a coward then??

A ;)

• 1 year later...

Has to be General Booth..born Snottingham Terrace, Sneinton Dale

Later changed his Christian name to Colin, and scored many goals for Forest...Red will confirm.

Cheers

Robt P.

booth2.gif

General Booth it is!

My mum lived just across the road from where he was born - in a corner (newspaper) shop. Not sure if it is still there. When her dad was killed in t'pit, they moved to Eastwood.

Sir Donald Wolfitt, born in Balderton Newark in 1902, Actor

Wolfitt well worth a thread all to himself...totally outrageous character!

As a kid in the 50's, I used to occasionally stay with an Aunt and Uncle who had an ironmongery shop on Newark's Chain Lane, just off the Market Place.

Wolfitt was a former class-mate, and friend, of my Uncle Frank - and I recall seeing him in the shop a couple of times, during visits back from his London home.

With his booming voice, and huge frame, he was rather intimidating to a cowering 10 year old!

This was around the time he had emerged as one of the last 'Actor/Managers' and had become famous for his film roles.....and for the way he used to terrify his fellow actors.

In spite of this fame, he took every chance to revisit his friends and his birthplace...unlike some other person, from 14 miles down the A1, who chose to completely ignore her birthplace upon her climb to the top of the greasy pole!

Read that her statue is to be shortly unveiled in Parliament....

An earlier one was rapidly decapitated when on display at a London exhibition.

They dare not risk a statue in Grantham Market Place....wouldn't survive 24 hours.

Cheers

Robt P.