I put a computer together for the wife's business this week, and jeeze how small the Mother boards are getting these days! It's a Biostar and can't be much more than 8ins by 9 ins! AMD 3.10Gig Athlon triple core processor and 8 gigs of RAM. 160Gig Seagate barracuda sata hard drive and a CD/DVD sata drive.

That's physically the smallest Mother board I've seen so far for a mid tower case, and I have assembled/built dozens of computers over the last 15 years.

I also note, Tiger Direct have a free software download to allow XP to be run as a separate window on Win7!

I have an annoying fault

I keep losing internet though my laptop shows it still connected.

Other laptops on the system still have full connection

Any Ideas John?

Can't say for sure, but sounds like a software problem, a corrupted file maybe.

Sounds like a software problem, but could be an intermittent problem on your Ethernet card too. You might just go into your "Device Manager" and check to see if there are any conflicts which will show as yellow triangles with an exclamation mark in them at side of the devices.

I'd do a search to find out what that is and how to correct that conflict.

It's probably in conflict with the WiFi adapter at a rough guess, you should find the answer either doing a google search or going to MS's website.

Mick. Are you with Talk Talk ?

Because if you are, then I think you will find that THEY are the problem.

They are under-resourced, unreliable and they lie to customers.

'Unlimited downloads' ? Not possible and certainly not achievable with Talk Talk. They operate a 'contention' sytem which pulls people off the network without warning and you sit looking at your computer wondering what the hell is going on!

Of course, if you're not with Talk Talk, then forget everything I just said.

If you are, then ditch them immediately and save yourself a lot of braincells.

Go with Plusnet or Sky. Then you can also use an over-rider like 18185 and save a fortune on voice calls.

No not with TalkTalk but considering them as an option, now not, thanks.

What are plusnet like?

I would prefer a service without TV and phone is that possible?

I am with Plusnet and they are first rate. I was going to quit a while back as BT doing a cheaper deal but Plusnet matched BT so I stayed with them. I think Plusnet are actually part of BT. I would highly recommend Plusnet.

That's physically the smallest Mother board I've seen so far for a mid tower case, and I have assembled/built dozens of computers over the last 15 years.

Are you familiar with the Pi Raspberry. About the size of a credit card and a fully functioning computer with HDMI output. Runs the OS from an SD card. I have just acquired one. Costs £20

But I'm on about "full sized Motherboards" in mid tower cases, they used to take a full tower case up at one time. Although there are only two "combs" for extension cards instead of the old five or six.

Gone are the days when we had to have a sound, video and Ethernet cards, so I suppose two are enough.

Mick, did you get that conflict problem sorted??

No John

Not had time

I did a search and found conflicting reports about it either not to be concerned about.

Another said uninstalling it windows would reinstall itself.

But one person who tried it could not get it back.

Re. Plusnet.

They are a subsidiary of BT since being bought out about 4 years ago.

When they first started, Plusnet were excellent. Then after BT bought them they had a period of being absolutely crap.

At one point they lost everyone's email and then to cap it all they got hacked into and all of their subscribers received tons and tons of horrendous SPAM.

PC Magazine called them 'terminally scatter-brained'.

BUT, they eventually got their act together and now they are back to being reliable and reasonably priced.

That's why I am back with them.

(BT have kept them as a seperate concern).

Talk Talk (Tiscali as was) are a definite no no. I would warn anyone of getting involved with them.

BT as always are the most expensive and the deals are ridiculously complicated - you just don't know what you are getting.

For those that have a Sky TV package you can get a good deal on broadband and it is fast and reliable.

Here endeth my broadband consumer report!

(Hope Mick gets his internet access sorted)

I put my Solid state drive in this week from cold its up & running in 15 secs

Also added the powerline ethernet no more drop outs ,Now i have 4 of them this is the only way to go other than wired

I was able to dual boot Win 7 32bit & win 7 64bit as my quickbooks wouldnt load on 64

Then just for fun i thought i would try Win Xp so now i can triple boot but 7 is way better in either version

Added a Bamboo thingy thats going to take a while to get used to but it came with PS Elements 10 on sale & really inexpensive, The pen works great its just the pad knows how many fingers you use & does different functions

By the way try a update for the driver that is giving you a prob. Take it out if it dosnt work you can always get it back. from the manufacturers support but cant see why if its not working anyway

Ps if it used to work try restoring back as far as you can go.