Not that I'm aware of.

That part of Nottingham is a bit of a disgrace, especially being so close to the Castle where all the tourists hang around. The top end of Castle Gate has been a boarded-up ghost town for several years since the Costume Museum (?) was closed down. There's a couple of terraces of Georgian buildings there, but they now look like something in Radford or Hyson Green. When it comes to dealing with the past, the city fathers today are no better than the idiots who got rid of Drury Hill.

And the Severns Building has been mentioned on these forums before; it, too, is closed down and empty, and I still think its current location on Castle Road is bizarre. It looks like it was just randomly dropped in the middle of anywhere.

The buildings are still up for sale, someone has applied for planning permission for student accomodation on castle gate, I think it is the wrong part of the city centre for student accomodation.

http://plan4.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/WAM/pas/showCaseFile.do?councilName=Nottingham+City+Council&appNumber=12%2F01688%2FPFUL3

I think it is the wrong part of the city centre for student accomodation.

No part of Nottingham is the right part for student accommodation :)

I agree that old buildings like those on Castle Gate shouldn't be used for student housing, but unfortunately a precedent has already been set. At the top of St James' Street (a stone's throw from Castle Gate) a Georgian house is already being used as student accommodation. This one.

https://maps.google....,21.69,,0,-6.94

And on the front of that building there is a plaque noting that Lord Byron stayed there at some time in his life.

Newdigate House: not forgetting that it was once the home of Marshal Tallard; taken prisoner from the Battle of Blenheim - 13th August, 1704 - but treated with respect by Nottingham's fine citizens. :)

PS: Wish I had the money to afford to dine at 'World Service' - some people are so fortunate.

• Upvote 1

Newdigate House: not forgetting that it was once the home of Marshal Tallard; taken prisoner from the Battle of Blenheim - 13th August, 1704

Strange but apparently really true :)

Whilst living at Newdigate House, Marshall Tallard introduced celery to this country. Until he appeared, celery hadn't.