34 minutes ago, Beekay said:

That's what I mean. How can you call that a bike. Not only that but they've got the audacity to put pedals on it. I'd feel a prat and half riding that in Lewes. 

These Just Eat and Deliveroo type riders seem to prefer these to get in every pedestrians way.

• Like 1
  • Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a "church" ride a couple of months ago, ride through the villages taking pics of their churches, here's the results   Beckingham all saints Claypole,Saint Peters  

The weather didn't look too bad this morning so I got the trike out,filled my drinking bottle with water and put a couple of banana's in the bag and set off for Lincoln,Brayford warfe to be exact,five

Met up with a new friend today who has just moved into the next village to us,I saw him last week when I was riding back home along the cycle/footpath between our two villages,it was then he told me h

Before i was old enough to drive i biked everywhere i had an ex.Navy bike no gears rod brakes. One trip i made regularly was from Nuthall to Underwood Hill it was a good workout esp. over Moorgreen res.to the turnoff  by the MGO bus garages at Underwood my mate lived by the Hole in the wall pub on Wilhallow Lane. I think i would need an electric bike now.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Here's the stem I fitted. It is the same length as the original non-adjustable one.

DSC04104.jpg

That stem looks to be a 11/8" threadless steerer tube,if you do decide to get suspension forks that's what you need to be looking for, in saying that you will still get wrist pain if your weight is on the wrists and suspension forks only get rid of the aggressive bumps which you don't really come across road riding, try the cheaper option first ie: riser bars and more upright riding position, hope this helps

Rog

Yes thanks that is what I shall do. I want to have the riser bars in my hands before I spend money on them. Just don't get the right impression looking at a picture online.

Do you have a local bike shop?if so have a word with him/her and handle different sizes, failing that see if Decathlon have riser bars in stock, they should have, it's good to try before you buy, if you do go to Decathlon try sitting on some of their bikes with raised bars (usually hybrid bikes or town bikes)

Rog

They'd be alright, anything to take the weight off the forearms and wrists, I notice pianoman has straight bars so would be leaning foreword with all top half body weight being forced onto wrists which after a time does become painful and subject to "pins and needles" in the hands

Rog

Hope Pianoman is reading this. I've noticed in Belgium and Holland they all ride cycles in a bolt upright position. A bit like a prim school ma'am pedalling to work. (I remember as a lad, my butchers bike, with little wheel at front and big basket, had sit up handlebars).

• Like 1

I don't particularly like the handlebars that point backwards. I am not sure about how upright I want to be. Whilst I don't want to be on a racing bike neither do I just want to be poodling around.

Understandable about that, slightly raised handlebars should help and have you tried bending your arms at the elbow when riding, I know that sounds a bit daft but bending at the elbow acts as a kind of shock absorber and takes the shock loading away from forearms and wrists

Rog

Do you remember the fad for have 'track handlebars', a bit like the speedway riders use. Reminded me of longhorn cattle.

They call them Cruiser style bars now and they aren't cheap, I think they are American style similar to the old Schwinn bikes

Rog

Just been testing lower tyre pressures. I have put them at 40psi today but I soon slow down even on the flat if in too high a gear.

• Like 1

You can get some very soft handlebar grips, some made of silicone or sponge/high density foam, keep the tyres inflated to the max pressure stated on the tyre for road use, running them on lower pressure is more likely to pick up a puncture, I'll have a look through my book to see if there is any reference to position on the bike

Rog

A look through my book has shown this computer graphic of standard rider, notice the bent arms at the elbow,(shock absorption) seat slightly forward, position of the knees when over TDC of the pedal stroke are slightly forward of the crankset and shoulders slightly foreward of the knees after TDC of the pedal stroke, plus you could add to the comfort by fitting sponge handlebar grips

DSCF2326-2.jpg

Rog

It can get very involved if you want it to, I just set up my bike for rider comfort, ease of pedalling, progressive braking etc, If I was to look at the technical data and performance graphs that's in the book I think I would have sleepless nights, if you are comfortable on your bike and it's set up correctly just enjoy riding it and let the mathematicians worry about the scientific side of things, this is a good reference book though

Rog

I might have a look in Hawk Cycles on Victoria Rd. at Netherfield. This was formally Graham Read’s shop. He called himself ‘the Raleigh Cycle King’. Graham was an old friend of mine who sadly died a few years ago.  I bought a Dutch style city bike for our daughter a couple of years ago from there. Graham used to have a life sized portrait of himself in the shop. I wonder if it’s still there?

Worth a try for sure, let us know how you go on with them if you decide to buy

Rog

Right, well today I went into Long Eaton Cycles. Proper bike shop that sells good quality stuff and the staff know what they are talking about. Spoke to the man in there and told him what the problems were and his response was that there are two ways to deal with this. I jumped in and told him I had already fitted an adjustable stem - that turned out to be his number one recommendation. He went on to his no 2 and started showing me ergonomic handlebar grips. I didn't think much to this until he handed me these at £40 per pair. They were something else. They supported the palms of my hands perfectly and were very comfortable to hold. I am back in Long Eaton on Thursday and I am certainly considering buying them. They have similar in Halfords but cost more. The ones in Halfrauds are called Ergon(?). Regarding the trekking handlebars I posted a link to in my post above, as we were talking I was standing at the side of a ladies Pashley which was fitted with that type of handlebars. I got on the bike, grabbed the handlebars and instantly found them very painful even just to hold as they were turning my hands outwards in relation to my forearms. I am pleased I didn't jump in and buy them. The man in Long Eaton Cycles didn't seem too impressed with the idea of fitting riser handlebars but did say that suspension forks would be completely pointless.

• Like 1

At least the fella was honest Pianoman, and didn't try try baffle you with science or fob you off with something that would have been expensive and of no use to you.

• Like 1