• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a "church" ride a couple of months ago, ride through the villages taking pics of their churches, here's the results   Beckingham all saints Claypole,Saint Peters  

The weather didn't look too bad this morning so I got the trike out,filled my drinking bottle with water and put a couple of banana's in the bag and set off for Lincoln,Brayford warfe to be exact,five

Met up with a new friend today who has just moved into the next village to us,I saw him last week when I was riding back home along the cycle/footpath between our two villages,it was then he told me h

Was gonna ask how you transport them Rog.,then I read at the bottom. You must have a big car to get that lot in. Do you have to remove the front wheel of the penny farthing? Also is there room for Mrs.P?

the front wheel comes away from the spine of the penny, wheels come off the Ladies Humber, all I have to do is fold down the rear seats and everything fits in snug with plenty of room for us, the Gents Hercules bike goes on the rack at the back of the car

Rog

Plenty of room, everything in the back apart from the food which will be in my back pack

DSCF2253.jpg

Rog

She don't know yet, I'm keeping that a surprise for when she's half asleep when we set off tomorrow

Rog

Great show at Ashby Magna yesterday, plenty of people there as well as all the exhibitors, plenty of steam engines both tractors and rollers, stationary engines, motor cycles, cars, lorries, fairground rides etc etc

My little display of vintage cycles guarded by Mrs P

DSCF2255.jpg

A couple of rarely seen exhibits, Sinclair C5 and Monkey bike 125cc (dont think this one is Honda though)

DSCF2258.jpg

DSCF2259.jpg

Rog

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Good ride out this morning on the Diamondback XSL, first decent ride since I finished building it, decided to change the gears from 3 x 9 to 1 x 8, reason being I don't use all the gears maybe three/four on a ride, tilt the seat back one notch and roll the handlebars backward two notches, nice and comfortable now, anyway good ride taking in some rough fire road tracks through Stapleford wood, bit of hill climbing to Norton Disney then rough track again down clay lane to Bassingham back home on the cycle/footpath to finish at the village hall, time taken just over an hour

DSCF2311.jpg

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

A good ride out on the Diamondback, light responsive nice ride, a few more miles on the clock now before the rains came

DSCF2314.jpg

DSCF2315.jpg

DSCF2316.jpg

Only used about 3 or 4 of the 24 gears so looking at changing the front triple crankset for a single, got a nice lightweight one with a 36 tooth chainring so will give that a go

Rog

• Like 1

For those of you with a technical/mechanical interest in cycling (possibly our Ben) this is a very interesting reference book

DSCF2325-2.jpg

Rog

As a matter of interest, is it possible to replace rigid front forks with suspension forks? Just had a look on Decathlon and they all seem to be replacements for there own bikes. My bike has steel rigid curved forks. I seem to be getting a bit of arthritis in my wrists and I know about it after a while of riding.

Yes you can swap them for suspension forks, the thing to look for is !steerer tube" diameter, 1"  threaded or non threaded and 11/8" again threaded or non threaded, another thing to take into consideration is wheel size ie: 26", 27.5" or 700c, however you say you have pain in the wrists after a ride, have you tries raising the handlebars a couple of inches or fitting riser bars so you are not putting your weight on the bars as much

Hope this helps, give us a shout of you need further info

Rog

The handlebars are as high as they will go and I have fitted an adjustable stem as well. The latter did improve things. The bikes frame is aluminium with steel forks, hence the colour difference. Here's a couple of pictures

DSC04102.jpg

DSC04103.jpg

I’m missing my bikes. I gave all three away when I was unable to get my leg over due to a bad hip. No that I can once more, I quite fancy an electric mountain bike. It would be able to get me back home if I felt tired. No double entendre comments please! 

• Like 1

Why a mountain bike Phil? I thought they had hefty wide tyres. Are planning to use it on rough terrain, cross country etc. How much different are they to a touring bike. I was always under the impression that bigger tyres made it harder work to pedal. I remember racing bikes had wheels a bit bacon slicers.

Forgive my ignorance. 

Screenshot-20230723-155901-Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Here's the stem I fitted. It is the same length as the original non-adjustable one.

DSC04104.jpg

Then riser bars look the better option for you, I know this sounds silly but have you tried moving the saddle forward a bit that would help by having a more upright riding position and not putting so much pressure on the arms/wrists, have a look at these bars, different heights will add to the more upright position, I notice a big difference when I ride different bikes some are weight forward and some are sit up and beg, the latter having less stress on my arms/wrists

Rog

s-l1600.jpg

The picture I've added above is what I mean. Looks more like a heavy moped with the engine missing.

1 hour ago, plantfit said:

Thats not a mountain bike B it's a bloody embarrassment

Rog

That's what I mean. How can you call that a bike. Not only that but they've got the audacity to put pedals on it. I'd feel a prat and half riding that in Lewes. 

• Like 1

I assume you mean Mansfield Road, Eastwood?  I haven't tried it up there. Can get up Mill Road OK. I can also get up the old road from Moorgreen past Greasley Church to Watnall Corner OK on it too and that is quite a steep hill.