I'll start by offering Tom Browns Brasserie at Gunthorpe in the more expensive class. It used to be a lot less expensive to eat there when taking the 'Early Bird' deals (some of which were available all night). I have to say I've visited there a lot less since they started charging extra for vegetables which is a con in my book. Still a nice place to visit though.

Tom Brown's Brasserie

There's a nice little greasy spoon just off J24 M1 as one makes ones way to East Midlands airport, can be very busy in the week but at weekends not so. Would recommend the all day breakfast for £2.99p and all the tea and coffee one can drink......

Bip.

On George Street in the city. The Tarn Thai restaurant.

A restaurant that is not cheap but represents value for money and a fair price for the type of food, environment and service on offer. It was opened in around 2006 and has a very attractive look to it, including water features etc. The staff are very friendly, welcoming and courteous and most important of all the food is sublime.

A lovely night out.

Tarn Thai

That's all well and good but one can't eat the decor....................

when I was in Thailand some years ago one could eat like a lord from the street vendors and still have change from ten baht....enough to buy a bunch of bananas for a passing elephant.

Bip.

Quite like Pizzeria Savai by the London Road roundabout for an Italian. I don't think that Nottingham is particularly well-blessed for really good Italian restaurants but this place is a lively room with decent food and an enjoyable night. There's an upstairs too which tends to be a bit quieter.

http://www.pizzeriasavai.co.uk/

Quite like Pizzeria Savai by the London Road roundabout for an Italian. I don't think that Nottingham is particularly well-blessed for really good Italian restaurants but this place is a lively room with decent food and an enjoyable night. There's an upstairs too which tends to be a bit quieter.

Is that the place with the pay and display car park outside...and so handy for the Arena?

One is getting the impression one is going through the good food guide for Nottingham.

Bip.

Has anyone been to the Indian place on Upper Parliament Street that was featured in the Gordon Ramsay series a little while back?

do you mean the wok? if so no.

Bip.

I doubt that 'The Wok ' would be an Indian restaurant Den

showing my ignorance once again beefy.

I own a wok and cook me chips in it does that mean I to is a Indian.

Bip.

If you want good Italian food then visit La Capanna on Mansfield Road in Sherwood.

IMO the best Italian closed some years ago -Valentino's on Alfreton Road. Franco the chef is now working in Derby, and Salvatori is working in Chilwell. A great team sadly missed.

The Balti went down for a while, with much smaller portions.

We went a couple of weeks ago and the starters and portion size was OK.

But the Balti tasted different, Not a patch on before?

Perhaps they have changed the chef?

• 4 years later...

IMO the best Italian closed some years ago -Valentino's on Alfreton Road

Last night same place Alfreton Road - now called Renos - Fantastico !

http://www.renos-nottingham.co.uk/

ranked 7 of 547 restaurants in Nottingham on tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186356-d2432795-Reviews-Reno_s-Nottingham_Nottinghamshire_England.html

El Greco's was a favourite of mine in the 70s.

Another favourite, this time the 60s, was the Empire Café on Foreman St. Blockbuster cake slice and cup of tea - a tanner the lot!

Another 60s memory is Hatter's chip shop (Later the Mermaid) on Front Street Arnold. Great little sit-in upstairs.

Joe Lyons was a decent cafe, Empire cafe had good grub,meat pie,chips and a cuppa',1/9d, for dinner.

Elbow cafe for breakfast,the 'works' for 2/-.and if you had any money left, late night fish and chips,at your local 'chippy'.

Wonder what the comparison would be in prices today!!!

I had forgotten about the Elbow Café. 24hrs at on time I believe. Great Café, good grub at good prices.