Hi. I'm new to the forum and don't even know if I'm posting the right place but here goes nothing!

Does anyone have any old photos, anything from 20s through 90s really!, of the Bar Lane, Ellis Guilford, Saxby's, Commodore, Nuthall Road, Bar Lane Twitchell sort of area?

Being only 20 years old none of it is here now but I have vague memories of the Commodore and old Ellis and Guilford buildings.

Maps of where Saxby's factory was would be especially interesting to me as I believe I live where it used to be!

Welcome Tomiggy7891, we don't seem to have a specific forum for Basford so I reckon you'll be ok here.

On your request for old photos, are you aware of this site http://www.pictureth...rg.uk/index.php which gets referred to a lot on Nottstalgia.

If you put Basford in their Search boxes, you'll get hundreds of results which will keep you amused for hours

I have a photo of my grandad sitting outside the Saxby's factory that he was helping build! But I expect that's not much use when you want the actual buildings in the photos.

Welcome Tomiggy7891, we don't seem to have a specific forum for Basford so I reckon you'll be ok here.

On your request for old photos, are you aware of this site http://www.pictureth...rg.uk/index.php which gets referred to a lot on Nottstalgia.

If you put Basford in their Search boxes, you'll get hundreds of results which will keep you amused for hours

Thanks! I hadn't heard of it but it looks good!

I have a photo of my grandad sitting outside the Saxby's factory that he was helping build! But I expect that's not much use when you want the actual buildings in the photos.

It still may find it interesting if you wouldn't mind posting it? All photos welcome!

No photos unfortunately, but I lived in a prefab at 11 Aslockton Drive from 1950 to 1954, and Saxby's famous chimney dominated the view up the street. It's hard to believe that's 58 years ago - it seems like yesterday that mum and dad set off for Long Eaton in the removals van, and my gran and I (a little lad of 5) followed by bus.

There are few photos on Picture the Past of that area...shame as it was my stomping ground throughout the fifties.Here are three shots taken in 1928 from a biplane.The large factory we know as Saxbys is marked as a perambulator factory on there, and on one or two maps.I take it this was before Saxby's moved in and before my time.They show one chimney stack,but in the fifties there were definitely two side by side.

At that time (1920s) Bar Lane didn't go straight down to Nuthall Road,but went in a dog leg opposite the twitchell and came out the other side of what is now Sainsburys...the old road is still there (picture) In the fifties those houses on the right down to Nuthall Road were built,but none on the this side of the old road running up to the school...that was all allotments.I used to walk through those allotments every day to Whitemoor school coming out where the picture shows and then down the twitchell to what used to be High street in those days...now Basford Road.

You can see arrowed on one picture the Ellis and Guildford schools still being built (red) the route of the old Bar Lane (yellow) and the twitchell (green) The fields in the far distance are now the council estates yet to be built.The two rectangles of the schools can be clearly seen on each picture.The large factory in the centre of photo three is the old Vedonis Works...one Saxby chimney at the very top.Note the allotments...hundreds of 'em.Many were being built on throughout the fifties.

2537101e.jpg

5a326857.jpg

093df51d.jpg

14c7afae.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here he is, he's on the back row, 2nd from left. I've written 1930's on the photo, but not sure when the factory was actually built.

No photos unfortunately, but I lived in a prefab at 11 Aslockton Drive from 1950 to 1954, and Saxby's famous chimney dominated the view up the street. It's hard to believe that's 58 years ago - it seems like yesterday that mum and dad set off for Long Eaton in the removals van, and my gran and I (a little lad of 5) followed by bus.

Oh I see. Thanks for that, I now see where the roads are and can definitely see how the chimney would dominate the view!

There are few photos on Picture the Past of that area...shame as it was my stomping ground throughout the fifties.Here are three shots taken in 1928 from a biplane.The large factory we know as Saxbys is marked as a perambulator factory on there, and on one or two maps.I take it this was before Saxby's moved in and before my time.They show one chimney stack,but in the fifties there were definitely two side by side.

At that time (1920s) Bar Lane didn't go straight down to Nuthall Road,but went in a dog leg opposite the twitchell and came out the other side of what is now Sainsburys...the old road is still there (picture) In the fifties those houses on the right down to Nuthall Road were built,but none on the this side of the old road running up to the school...that was all allotments.I used to walk through those allotments every day to Whitemoor school coming out where the picture shows and then down the twitchell to what used to be High street in those days...now Basford Road.

You can see arrowed on one picture the Ellis and Guildford schools still being built (red) the route of the old Bar Lane (yellow) and the twitchell (green) The fields in the far distance are now the council estates yet to be built.The two rectangles of the schools can be clearly seen on each picture.The large factory in the centre of photo three is the old Vedonis Works...one Saxby chimney at the very top.Note the allotments...hundreds of 'em.Many were being built on throughout the fifties.

Thank you for this! I had seen those photos but I could not see where the route of old bar lane was. And I had also thought the twitchell was actually what is now Nuthall Road. I can understand the images a lot better now.

Do you know of any later photos with the two chimneys? Or if anything happened with the large grass area between the two factories with what seems to be two random houses!?

1885 map here..The old Bar Lane marked in yellow.Twitchell (red) site of the Ellis school (blue) Nuthall road (green) At that time no buildings on the Saxby site or further back except what may be a few small farm buildings or cottages.I can't find anything else from that area at the mo...maybe somebody else will come up with something.

83b01a54.jpg

PS. Just found on another map...the small buildings on the Saxby site are marked 'Nursery' and a large area is covered with what will be fruit trees.

Do you know of any later photos with the two chimneys? Or if anything happened with the large grass area between the two factories with what seems to be two random houses!?

Another four houses appeared on that site in the fifties...they weren't there pre war.

f6356434.jpg

Sitting here middle of the night I'm starting to doubt my own memory...I'd have put money on Saxbys having two stacks.Damn it all I could see them from my bedroom window every day until I was 14.But all I can find in the odd rare photo is one stack...now either my memory banks are on the blink...or one of the stacks was removed in the sixties.Maybe somebody else can convince me one way or the other...we shall see... :crazy:

Another four houses appeared on that site in the fifties...they weren't there pre war.

Yeah they are still there now, the far right of the "new 4" joins my back garden so I guess absolutely nothing has been on the site of my house IN HISTORY which is disappointing.

Although seeing all these photos of the Saxby's factory is brilliant.

Poohbear, whereabouts did you find the 1885 map?

And to settle your memory, it seems there were two chimneys, enjoy!...

IMAGE REMOVE, HOTLINKING TO COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL!

Just another question if anyone knows, on the left of this photo is a concrete fence, did this go all the way to the other end of Bar Lane? If so then they are the same walls that are still there today.

quote..09dc310a.gif

This is a hotlinked image if you intended to post a remote image of the chimney they may deliver other content via that link.

The previous image was removed as a pop up copyright notice appeared over the image.

Copyright owners can deliver ANY alternative image to remote sites linking to their material!

• 2 years later...