Not all modern buildings are ugly

At the Lenton end of Castle Boulevard, the old MFI warehouse has finally been demolished and been replaced by a new building for the Cornerstone Church.

Unlike the Contemporary thing at Weekday Cross or the Car Park at the railway station, the "church" seems to have been designed by someone with a bit of sense and taste.

church1.jpg

church2.jpg

If you look at the "Before" and "After" it's no contest

both1.jpg

• Upvote 1

It's always down to personal taste with these things and my goodness there are some atrocities in Nottingham that need balancing out but I quite like the University of Nottingham's library on Jubilee Campus near where I work.

252dtp-600x374.jpg

I worked in this one until recently, the Sir Colin Campbell Building on Triumph Road. Each to their own but I really like it. A nice well thought-out environment to work in too with surrounding landscaping featuring the lakes and other water courses and features.

When you've worked in industry in a few 'dark satanic mills' and woebegone and bleak industrial estates as I have, it's a pleasure to work in such circumstances.

findus.jpg

Triumph Road has certainly changed a lot from the old days!

This reminder below sits outside the Sir Colin Campbell Building:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/browniebear/7310637122/lightbox/

I'd be interested to know more about Sir Colin Campbell as the building certainly does have a slightly 'nautical' appearance I have to agree (me hearties).

• 2 weeks later...

It's always down to personal taste with these things and my goodness there are some atrocities in Nottingham that need balancing out but I quite like the University of Nottingham's library on Jubilee Campus near where I work.

252dtp-600x374.jpg

Looks like a half buried shuttlecock?

But I like it.

• 1 year later...

Having just read and watched the Death of A railway on the Nottingham Post website I thought about all the magnificent buildings of the past, from Stone Henge, all the cathedrals and old churches that we have and places like the V and A museum, Think about the time and craft that went into planning and building these monuments, then I look around at what is built today, and wonder what our descendants will make of our taste, and will they truly stand the test of time? What will be our testament to mankind?

Something like this maybe.......?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-29044927