How far can just £1 get you?

you must be younger than me Stephen; school dinners were 2/6 per week at our school. I was at seniors from 1962-1967.

Sorry pressed post in error....Or 20 goes on the gas or electric meter - oddly, I never won a penny from those machines :(

And how bars of chocolate have "shrunk" over the years, remember those big blocks of Cadbury's chocolate? They are a mere fraction of the size they used to be in the 50's.

And how bars of chocolate have "shrunk" over the years, remember those big blocks of Cadbury's chocolate? They are a mere fraction of the size they used to be in the 50's.

Of course they are...do you expect the same price? The years have gone by...would you expect gas bills to be the same size?

dd4d3d7b.gif

• Upvote 1

We don't get a gas bill per se, we have the propane tank refilled, 500 gallons.

StephenFord

You gotta get this sleepwalking problem sorted. :)

I just checked on my handy wallet sized ready reckoner chart

Three bob is is 15 new Pence, 4d is a third of a shilling or 1.65 New pence.

so Three and Fourpence(3/4d) is 16.65 New pence.

30 skool dinnuz would have cost you £4.99½ New Pence, We'll call it an old fiver.

Mick - 3/4d was the price for a week - i.e. 8d a day - so you got five for that. There were 6 x 3/4d to a pound, so 6 x 5 = 30 skool dinnuz for a pound. That's why the price increases were in multiples of 5d.

Aha! StephenFord I see it all now summovit!

I thought at 3/4d you must have gone to a posh skool, and had gravy wiv your taters and skinless custard.

8d is less than our 12d, However I was on Free Dinner tickets for a while, to which there was a bit of a stigma.

However I did like custard skin, or skin off the chicken. Still doo. :)

Actually I only knew the prices of school dinners from announcements and frequent reminders when the price changed. I distinctly remember Mrs Sewter at Mikado Road repeating each morning "Don't forget - dinner money is going up next Monday - you'll need to bring four and tuppence." And even then some dimwit turned up the following week with the old amount and got an ear-bending. Personally I never ever stayed school dinners - and as I was a fussy eater as a kid, I never wanted to.