Saturday Night and Sunday Morning - The 'Authentic Moment' in British Photography

Following on from Sillitoe Day, there is a major photographic exhibition based on Saturday Night, Sunday Morning at the Djanogly Art Gallery; it runs from Saturday 17 November - Sunday 10 February.

The exhibition also features a selection of never-before-exhibited stills from the Karel Reisz's film, more information here,

http://www.lakesidea...?e=2062&c=5&d=0

• Upvote 1

I will certainly be going to the exhibition, as my GGrandparents and family ran the pub that was in the film. They also had other pubs in the Victoria centre area before the trains were there, including the original Bunkers Hill all this was in the late 1880's, any info on the area or pubs at this time would be greatfully appreciated, cheers.

:) Thanks for the info. Stu

Re: 'White Horse', Ilkeston Road; always thought it a strange juxtaposition: such beautiful, green tiles fronting a pub but why shouldn't a pub have artistic features?

Unfortunately 'White Horse' is no longer a public house; now reputed to be a Thai Restaurant.

• 1 month later...

Enjoyed the exhibition as a fan of old black and whte photos of Nottingham and the area.

I have to say that t still rankles that the Film dialogue was in a sort of Yorkshore accent and it was said at the time that it was because folk in the rest of the country would find it difficult to understand?! Feel it was more to do wth the actors fnding it a lot easier to effect a Yorks accent than the language as spoke in God's own country (which is Notts and NOT Yorks as others would ave you believe!)

Went to the exhibition with my older brother, and he told me that nowhere in the film was Nottingham mentioned, and many ignorant folk dahn sarff thought it was set in Manchester!

I have to say that t still rankles that the Film dialogue was in a sort of Yorkshore accent and it was said at the time that it was because folk in the rest of the country would find it difficult to understand?! Feel it was more to do wth the actors fnding it a lot easier to effect a Yorks accent than the language as spoke in God's own country (which is Notts and NOT Yorks as others would ave you believe!)

Went to the exhibition with my older brother, and he told me that nowhere in the film was Nottingham mentioned, and many ignorant folk dahn sarff thought it was set in Manchester!

This could re-ignite the wars of the roses. They see Nottingham, hear a Yorkshire accent and conclude "It's Manchester" ! Duhhh...

I had an invite to the official opening of this exhibition the other week as I have been working with the University on a Raleigh project they have been running (I used to work at Raleigh). We sat with a woman who was at a table on her own and as luck would have it she was chaperoning Shirley Ann Field for the evening so a couple of minutes later SAF came and sat next to us. We chatted away for about 20 minutes before she had to go and do the official bit. She was very charming and down to earth and still a beauty, much nicer in the flesh than the press coverage photos I later saw. She signed my copy of Saturday Night and Sunday Morning as did Alan Sillitoes brother who as you doubtless know, also appeared in the film. I'd like to get Albert Finney's on there too. For anyone who hasn't been to the exhibition it is well worth a visit. Some wonderful photo's.

• 1 month later...

There must be many thousands of 'people pictures' archived away in shoe boxes that contain important historical background image information.

• Like 1