You have to believe me on this , after making them for years I still enjoy a piece even now. And believe me , there's nothing bad goes in them , honest.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The change in taste "may" be because they reduced the salt content, but I doubt it. The amount of salt that was put in processed food was horrendous, but I believe in the U.K. it has been cut by abou

Bit OT, but one of my favourite meals is roast rib beef with yorkshire pudding. But we do it me mums old fashioned way, just over half cook the piece of rib roast in the pan, turn up the heat for 10m

What a waste of good beer .............. !jumping! A better idea is to drink a six pack (Or two) first, then it doesn't matter what it tastes like.......

When I worked as a Post Office Tech. we had offices on Little Tennis street, Daleside road. We were the first factory unit that opened down there.

When they built next door to us it was a Pork Farms factory.

I used to take orders from the guys and go round to the factory to order the pies, sausage rolls etc.

We got them fresh as and they were wonderful.

One day when i went round, the lady from the front office was in the production facility at the back, and being a regular now, was invited back to get my order.

All I can remember was pigs heads everywhere ! and guys going at them with knives removing all the meat from the heads !

Sort of took the egde of them a bit, but we still carried on buying them as they tasted were so good.

Having said that my gran used to boil a pigs head for hours in a big pan, smelled bloody awful, but the brawn she made was pretty tasty and good.

Why are Pork Farms pies not as good as they were years ago.

My regular Christmas Large Pork Farms Pie is no longer purchased.

Beefsteak got them for me years ago.

But no more, they are tasteless. What is missing from the recipe apart from jelly?

Sorry! Forgot about the iced buns - simple but scrummy!

I used to love those iced bus. Anyone know the recipe?

Mick: It is probably salt that is missing. Modern commercials seem to be worried about adding salt to anything these days.

I used to love those iced bus. Anyone know the recipe?

Go to shop , buy iced buns, easiest recipe I know !

We have a Tesco. I shall try them next shopping day. Never thought of them - what a plonker! :)

Why are Pork Farms pies not as good as they were years ago.

My regular Christmas Large Pork Farms Pie is no longer purchased.

Beefsteak got them for me years ago.

But no more, they are tasteless. What is missing from the recipe apart from jelly?

Its probably the jelly / aspic or whatever that had the most taste.

Dont scream, but I still collect pork dripping from a leg roast, as I love the jelly, I dont eat the white fat though.In fact I did one last week and just finished the drippin ! ;lovely.

The change in taste "may" be because they reduced the salt content, but I doubt it. The amount of salt that was put in processed food was horrendous, but I believe in the U.K. it has been cut by about 50% and most people do not notice. It is still more than enough and over here it is ridiculous.

After Mary was diagnosed with kidney disease, they told her to go on a low sodium diet - which means reading labels on food - and it is alarming how much salt there is. Bear in mind, you NEED about 1600mg/day - one serving (8oz) of many canned soups is 1000mg! When cooking we now use very little salt - I thought I would notice the difference, especially in cooked vegetables. I now use about 1/10th the amount I used to use, but cannot tell the difference - and Mary's kidneys are recovering!

Sorry, a bit of an OT rant, but it is important to understand what the food processors are doing to us!

(Bread and dripping with salt, fat and jelly - DELICIOUS)

• Upvote 2

I love a good pork pie with beetroot but it's dificult to find a really good pork pie these days. They all seem to be dry and tasteless. I can remember when I was a kid at Christmas and we'd have the really big family sized ones, they were delicious. I also loved the dripping of the Sunday roast on a thick slice of bread. Mmmmm.

Exactly Michael Booth.

We await the beefsteak verdict on modern pies.

Yes I love Pork Dripping fat & jelly on toast with salt.

Local Home Bargains is selling jars of Goose Fat. I suspect this would be good for Roast taters?

Bread and dripping was one of me favorite sandwiches for snap..

My missus just about pukes if I make a dripping sandwich, Americans just don't appreciate good food.....LOL

And what about a slice of bread put in the piping hot juices in the roast beef pan as it comes out of the oven????

Leave it there a few seconds and then, sprinkled with salt and pepper, a hot delicacy fit for a king; complete with juices running down the chin!

Bit OT, but one of my favourite meals is roast rib beef with yorkshire pudding.

But we do it me mums old fashioned way, just over half cook the piece of rib roast in the pan, turn up the heat for 10mins to high, and pour the yorkshire pudding mix around the meat, then cook for another 20-30 mins and it is just the best !

The pudding soaks all the meat juices and bakes them into it, the taste is unbelievable.

• Upvote 2

My Dad used to love bread and dripping sandwiches as 'pack out' Never really enjoyed it myself'

Wait till Sunday/ Monday for the pie verdict, but I'm more than likely in agreement that it's the salt content that's been cut down.

• Upvote 1

If you pick your joint well, ours always seem to come with a little fat which renders out in the pan, but you can always add a little lard or even veggie oil prior to cooking.

We buy a Maggi gravy mix here in oz, it comes in several flavours, but the rich meat one seems pretty good so we use that, but you can't have it both ways, unless you do do two joints :laugh: :laugh: you'll have plenty left for sandwiches then !

The beef joints I buy here are very lean - so I pour olive oil over the joint prior to cooking, and use that as the base for the gravy - which is delicious. No, I don't use Bisto, or any of thr gravy bases, I use beef stock, and make a roux from the drippings (olive oil) and flour. Yes, you have to do a LOT of stirring, but it is worth it!

I only use olive oil to cook with and much prefer it to any of the other cooking oils - save them to make biodiesel! ;)

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pork Farms