When alan(Wack)Walker started this thread I was a little concerned as to the comments that would be made. I thought it may be a case of 'Nottingham is cr*p and I can't wait to emigrate to the Promised Land'. This hasn't been the case as I've found the posts to be eloquently written and their love of Nottingham is clear to see. Many years ago, my wife and I spoke of emigrating to the sun but in the end I found I couldn't leave my close family and relations behind. We are a very close family who meet and communicate on a regular basis. I think that people who emigrate have to make so many sacrifices after their life changing decision. The Nottstalgians who went off to distant lands all seem to have done well for themselves and I'm really pleased for them. As for myself, I think that Nottingham is a fantastic City to live in and can't see me living anywhere else. As mentioned in other posts, Nottingham has just about everything you could wish for. Every kind of sport is catered for, quality restuarants, great night life, shopping and recreation facilities. We have the River Trent flowing through the City and the Nottingham Castle. There's so much more I could add regarding Nottingham. Nottstalgia has also taught me so much about the history of Nottingham. The people who leave Nottingham to live abroad will settle in their new country and become part of their communities. They'll adopt their new way of life but I'm sure that a little piece of their heart will always be for Nottingham.

• Upvote 4

We love a place but once we leave it seems like we can never go back. When I emigrated I lived my first four years in Toronto, Canada. Like Nottingham it had so many of the same qualities. We moved West to Calgary after four years because house prices were very high and we just could not afford one.. Almost like emigrating all over again. We loved Calgary even more and got our first house there. the Rocky mountains were visible from the end of our street. This past October I took my American wife up to see Niagara falls. She loved it! We decided to go on and have a look at Toronto. She had never seen it and I had not been back for 37 years. It is still a nice city, but neighborhoods had changed and in my opinion not for the better. The apartment buildings I had lived in now looked run down and I would not want to live in them now. Rush hour was always busy, but it now seems to be rush hour 24/7. I suppose that we are almost programmed to think that things are best in our first experience of them. When we return change has happened and we are disillusioned.

I was born and bred in Nottingham in the old meadows and still live in Nottingham, it's not the ex-pats or Notts folks who are calling Nottingham it's the press/tv who call us gun city, knife crime city, ect. Nottingham is a fine city yes it's got it's problems like the city council for one [ha ha] We had a chap come up from London to work at the same garage as me his first comment was is it gun city? who told him that? yes it was the national papers again. I will defend Nottingham to the hilt To the press/tv come and live in this city before criticizing it

Scary thing is finding an alligator hanging around,looking for an easy meal,a reason for not buying a house with a swimming pool.

It is common for folks to find a ten foot+ 'gator' relaxing in their pool.

Yes - tastes like chicken!