What did we look like

What about substituting the little bobble with a sixpence, on our suspenders, to hold our stockings up, because they were always breaking off at awkward times. And that familiar feeling of the sixpence working loose and slowly slipping down your leg into view,not to mention the Nora Batty wrinkles appearing on the ankle. :huh: :P.Having to do the funny walk, holding on the the top of your stocking through your skirt until you could find some where to put the sixpence back in place. Or did this only happen to me.? :unsure: :blush: Oh Hum.

It would be the summer of '65 and a bunch of us scooter boys, we're parked in the market square when three policemen came walking by, most of the guys are wearing parkas and full length leathers. As I recall, one had sergeant stripes on the sleeve. And the cop was telling him to take them off or there'd be some charging with some offence. Than they walked over to some other scooters and Big Eddy's red Sportique had removed the front mud guard and was going to put on one of those sporty, motorcycle type mud guards. So they nailed him for having no mud guard and a few guys with no road tax. Very keen eye these Nottingham police. The Parka business never heard anything more about it, if it's even a law.

RGR

Where did we used to buy those parka's from, been racking my brain, was it the army stores at the bottom of Exchange Walk ?

Wakefields comes to mind, but unsure.

Anchor surplus was still a scrap yard some where up Heanor way so it wasn't them.

They were the real deal too not imitation crap, and the liners as well.

I was always a bit of an "Army Surplus" lad and also remember buying a tank drivers suit, head to toe with zips everywhere and padded kapok, very warm and good for the motorbike or fishing, but not so cool on the Lamretta :-) and fairly heavy.

I had an original pair of Barr & Stroud" naval binoculars, with internal switchable filters, I bought too, cost me a couple of quid at the time, only sold them a few years ago on Ebay, got 70 pounds for them.

There was also a little shop on Drury Hill that used to sell lots of ex army surplus electrical bits and pieces, I bought a set of throat mikes (microphones) and a leather flying helmet from there, god knows why as I never used them for anything in the end. But I just loved rummidging around those places. I still do to this day and have an assortment of Ammo cases and other brick a brack in storage in a mates shed, that I have picked up here.

I also have a folding NATO shovel in my truck now !

Always wanted a lightweight Landrover, the one's designed for parachute dropping, but never got one.

Hi Banjo48 as l recall l got my parka from Wakefields Army Surplas store Nottm.they didn't carry them all the time some were warmer than others.The guys that used to come up from Peterborough to the Dungeon club had a source from a U.S.airbase in that area one guy called laughing boy could get those flight jackets with big fur hoods never could trust those guys.l remember Sam Salter driving to Brighton on his Vespa wearing a full length suede coat in the rain when he got back to Nottm.it was kind of white and stiff as a board those were the days got to go watching Miranda now on TV.

I remember a lot of my mates were mods with all the regalia, the mandatory Lambretta with mirrors etc, Parka, mohair suit and trilby (I was a rocker but we were all still mates). I wonder what their present work mates would think if they could see what they looked like. I keep a photo of myself with very long hair just to remind me of what WE were like. When I show it to youngsters today, they can't believe that teenagers of the 60s actually looked like that. And I didn't tie my hair in a pony tail!

i used to work at wakefields in beeston 74/75 ish now i left dec 75 as i had my first son march 76 we still sold parkas and had high turn over along with wrangler levi and brutus jeans and other realy cheap brandsof jeansbrutus were always the best seller dark blue and light blue they also did a brushed denim type that felt a bit like a soft velvet when you first wore then.

bilbroughborn knew a lot of the rocker lads from that area both from 41 club and whitehart did you ever go to any of them .

That must have been the time I got busted for having the tax disc from my motorcycle on the scooter,a 4 quid fine.

Such a hardened criminal.

Better to have no tax showing at all.

Using VEL on another vehicle is fraudulent use - criminal offence ...

Alongside the other two vehicle excise offences:

Failing to display a valid tax disc - fixed penalty ticket.

Untaxed motor vehicle - £1,000 or more fine from DVLA. And/or Vehicle seized and crushed.

Remember?

the suits with out collars, drain pipe trousers and the thin Italian ties.

Pan-cake make from Max Factor, Miners shocking pink lipstick and Outdoor Girl make-up.

Tights with beetles on them. Granddad collars. not forgetting the Mini and Maxi skirts.

although I think Maxi skirts came in, in the 70s. and not for getting the 4/5inch stilettos heels.

Drinks larger/lime larger/black babycham, pony, port/lemon to name but a few.

I used to get trendy clothes from Lawrences down Hockley. I bought a flowered shirt and flowered lace tie. Then my dad went down and bought them for himself. He still has the tie.

I was quite lucky as my brother lived in a Mews off the Kings Road and I spent at least one weekend a month with him.

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't read the above message in the type it was originally posted in.

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't read the above message in the type it was originally posted in.

Bilbraborn is using a slightly non-standard typeface which is obviously on his computer. If that font isn't on your computer, your PC will automatically substitute something else; which may result in illegible chaos.

It is Comic Sans, but if it is causing difficulties, I will change back to Times New Roman. Sorry. I always was an ockerd owd git.

IS THAT BETTER? LOL unionflag