What a weird days play !!

When I made that last post he was only on 30 something !!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Walked past Harold Larwood and Bill Voce in Kirkby this morning......couldnt bring mesen to tell em the score......just got a coffee from Subway and sat and drunk it down at 'Long Off''...........

"Trevor S, wherever in the world that I've been staying, I've always been an Englishman from Nottingham. That's why I can't understand how you can put Australia before England. I realise that you've m

Australian Love Poem Of course I love ya darlin You're a bloody top-notch bird And when I say you're gorgeous I mean every single word So ya bum is on the big side I don't mind a bit of fl

Born and bred in Oz and 19 years of age. This one slid under everybody's radar.

It was believed that he was in the side for his bowling abilities but, as a clearly surprised Mark Taylor said during an interview at the lunch break - "They kept this one quiet and it is obviously his batting skills that got him in the side. No wonder Lehman had a smile on his face."

Beefsteak, I was mesmerised by that last wicket stand and the talent of Agar. To watch history in the making - unforgettable.

Even SWMBO stayed up and watched the display!

NOW, something that puzzled me and others watching the match.

Your Notts player, Stuart Broad, went off the field with his supposed shoulder injury. He was off that long that even your biased commentators on Sky were saying that if he cannot play, he should be replaced.

Next thing, he was back on the ground but when a ball was sent his way, there was ample TV coverage of Broad returning the ball with a very weak throw and to all appearances; being unable to lift his arm higher than shoulder height. The TV clearly showed Broad pulling faces as he then flexed his arm; still not going over shoulder height. A team mate was there with him, having run up to quite clearly ask him if he was alright. The TV commentators were unanimous in stating that he should be sent from the field before he does further damage to his shoulder.

The surprising thing was his sudden recovery! No sign of any injury, turning his arm over without difficulty and sending balls down in excess of 80mph for 6.5 overs before snaring Agar.

Be honest, Beefsteak, you saw the same thing. Where did Broads' magical cure come from or, was someone foxing us as to the extent of one's injury slywink

Whatever the case, it was a magnificent day of cricket and if the rest of the series is as good as this; we have many sleepless nights ahead of us down here in Oz.

Who will win.................who knows, but with cricket like the past 24 hours, who cares.

Born and bred in Oz and 19 years of age. This one slid under everybody's radar.

Ashton Agar – Proud to be of Sri Lankan heritage !

You as a proud Victorian should know all about him!

He represented Australia in the Under 19 quadrangular series in Townsville in April 2012 playing against India, New Zealand and England. He took eight wickets at an average of 25.75 with an economy rate of 4.20. He is a left arm spinner who has represented Victoria in the Under 15,17 and 19 teams and Australia in the Under 16 and 19 teams.

And you are saying??????????

Agar is an Australian, born and bred in Melbourne, Victoria of an Australian father and a Sri Lankan mother.

As he said at his interview after the match, it was always his lifelong dream to play cricket for Australia.

I knew nothing about him and that is why I said "slid under the radar". Most people I have spoken to today or have heard talking about Agar had no idea who he was. Some were even confusing him with the Pakistani whose citizenship was being rushed through so he could play for Australia.

Apparently he is contracted to WA Cricket, where he went due to lack of opportunities here in Vic. He only started playing first class cricket in January this year.

As for the statistics on this young man, the web is ablaze with information like you have supplied and that is were I am learning about him.

If you are one of the few that knew about him and his talents prior to his Test Match debut...................you are a lucky man.

Take time out to read the attached link re a poem - Ode to Agar. Gives an insight how this man came from out of left field and surprised everybody...........http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/ant8217s-ashes-an-ode-to-ashton-agar/story-fndpt0dy-1226678247091

I know we have the odd foreign born player in our squad , but accusing Holding and Lloyd of being English is tantamount to slander there old chap !

Beefsteak and Trevor, you're both wrong with the nationalities of these two commentators, assuming you're talking about Michael Holding (Jamaican) and David Lloyd (English). Both of these men are interesting and very knowledgeable cricket commentators, with Bumble (David Lloyd) entertaining the viewing public with his comments and anecdotes, he was of course a first class umpire after his playing career finished. He also loves calling into the Lincolnshire Poacher when he's in Nottingham! I saw him in there a couple of years ago in fact. If you're a cricket fan Trevor I really don't see how you can call those two boring ....... but personally I do think that Michael Atherton is a complete bore. englandflag

Lizzie. I thought it was It was Clive Lloyd, from the WI !

I dunno about you Trevor but iI for one have had many a trapped nerve in my shoulder/ neck and the pain was that bad it made me feel sick (Literally) One injection later and POW I was ready to take on the world again ( I thought it was Cortozone but i'm not so sure now, some sort of steroid springs to mind!)

LizzieM...in the early hours of the morning, those commentators are boring and their droning incessant biased twaddle is unbearable, particularly Strauss, Hussein and Atherton. I will concede that Lloyd is a better class commentator than those but that is all. As for Holding...everybody is entitled to their own opinions.

After the first night, I have gone back to the old standby, TV on silent and ABC radio commentary - virtually no time delay and far more enjoyable.

Anyway, Beefsteak, let's get back to our discussions.

Broad must have been on something to be able to return to the field, still showing the signs of injury that put him off in the first place and then some time later, play and bowl normally. Just as long as the painkiller or similar is not allowing him to play with a false sense of recovery. The damage initially sustained to his injured shoulder could be aggravated even more under the mask of pain suppressants. Let us hope it does not lead to more serious medical issues for him further down the track.

BUT, what was he about last night????????

article-2362009-1AC919C1000005DC-847_634
article-2362009-1AC941F4000005DC-71_634x

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-2362009/Ashes-2013-Stuart-Broad-cheat-storm-England-star-refuses-walk.html#ixzz2YsjsWY7j

Even the replays on the screens at the ground clearly showed him out yet he must have failed at school when they were giving out prizes for sportsmanship!

Reminds me of our lot earlier - as they say - what goes around comes around.

Two days to go and it is anybody's game - with the odds slightly in our favour slywink

I might as well be back on night shift!

Goes around , comes around, I'm speaking of course of Trotts "Dismissal" from earlier. Clearly not out , yet still given.

And how can you say the odds are slightly in your favour Cyclops.? We've already got more runs on the board than you got in your first innings.!

Got to love a man who lives in Cloud Cuckoo Land.

Nicely set up for tomorrow. I think we have the edge, but with Agar still in there , anything can happen.

I was going to try and get a ticket and come over in the morning but it's sold out already !! (Very good news for Notts County Cricket Club coffers though)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01cnth3

Admittedly, Australia has been guilty of similar acts over the years but probably none as blatant as this one.

Our lot suffered their usual batting collapse - it must leave the bowlers frustrated after all their hard grind.

Still, only 137 runs to victory, one day to do it and our remaining batsmen/bowlers are all capable of scoring well.

As you say, Beefsteak, "nicely set up" for an interesting final day's play.

In all sincerity, Beefsteak my friend, may the best side win.

Serves 'em right for using up all their reviews trying to make out the (our) umpires were wrong with their decisions earlier in the innings .

Still ain't heard you complain about the decision to give Trott out earlier when clearly he wasn't !!

And to answer your last point................................................Of course we shall......................... slywink

The whole review system must be itself reviewed in light of decisions over time and in particular, the Trott and Broad debacles.

Trott was not out, Dar makes the right call but on review, Erasmus overrules Dar and Trott walks; leaving Dar dumbfounded.

Broad was out, Dar makes the wrong call, no review, Erasmus keeps quiet, the entire ground saw the catch and the cricketing world is dumbfounded.

Funny business this cricket but what I have alluded to over the last few posts....what goes around comes around. We all win some and lose some and it is a part of the game BUT

The Broad catch was obvious, plain for all to see except a blind man, Dar and Broad. Was it some misguided foolish decision by Dar to try and rectify the Trott decision where he was overruled? Who knows. Who cares.

Those involved will have to live with the TV replays etc and the stigma of bad sportsmanship.

Let the rest of us get back to enjoying the cricket.

Incidentally, what about the recent ICC ban placed on the West Indies wicketkeeper Denesh Ramdin after he claimed a dropped catch against Pakistan in the Champions Trophy.

The ban was imposed by ICC match referee, Chris Broad - for "conduct that is contrary to the spirit of the game" - the same Chris Board who must be somewhat bemused by his son Stuarts' conduct.

Nail biting stuff at the end here.

Missed the morning session through family commitments, and got in expecting it to be all over , one way or another, now I have to sit through the last half hour of torture!

C'mon England................................ englandflagenglandflagenglandflagenglandflag

It just had to end like that didn't it !!!

Ah well , one nil to the good guys . englandflag englandflag englandflag englandflag englandflag

So near yet so far.

It was 25 past 11 last night when I checked the time, having just watched our last wicket taken from us.

A memorable match at a memorable ground.

Thought about starting up the computer and congratulating you but turned over to the cycling instead. Your Chris Froome is doing brilliantly there as well while our lot slide backwards.

Crutchlow second in the German MotoGP wirh Smith 6th.... as well as Redding finishing seventh but still retaining the overall lead in Moto2. England is doing alright.

Enough said....You won......Well done.....onwards to Lord's...........................................................................

• Upvote 1

Two - Nil

Oops, don't mention the cricket! englandflagenglandflagenglandflag

Trevor seems to have been really hit hard by this latest defeat .Never mind .

_68863959_nottinghamshire-jamestaylorget

Nottinghamshire's James Taylor could replace Kevin Pietersen for the third Ashes Test at Old Trafford

Good Morning Mr. Beefsteak,

I trust this correspondence finds you and yours in fine fettle, Sir. Your suspension of adversarial comments during one's lamenting the tragic demise of Australian sport is greatly appreciated.

Cricket:

Another pathetic display of schoolyard cricket by our lot. I apologise for the ACC sending you an Australian XI consisting only of mediocre fieldsmen and overworked bowlers. Advertisements are in all media outlets today for six batsmen to represent their country at a first class level.

As I said before, they should exchange the current XI with the Oz A team currently touring South Africa as I believe that they would do a better job!

Rugby Union:

Has now self-destructed following the lessons handed out recently by your lot. We have a new coach, McKenzie, who has his baptism of fire against the All Blacks in coming days. Al we need now is a decent 5/8.

Cycling:

Congratulations to Froome on his well deserved win.

Sad to say but Cadel Evans is a spent force after his moment of glory a couple of years ago.

Various reports of his rapid descent from the top five to 1.5 hours behind at 39th attribute his decline to unconfirmed sightings of him pedalling in the wrong direction and, the extra weight of the lights on his bike in order for him to see his way to the line as he was finishing so late!

One bright glimmer was the young Tasmanian, Richie Porte, who helped Froome on many stages.

Swimming, tennis etc etc. The term "Changing of the Guard" springs to mind...............................................................................

So, Mr. Beefsteak, until the next Test at Old Trafford on the 1st of August; I bid you adieu and extend my most sincere congratulations on your second Test win.

Because, hopefully, you will not have any more!

Ooooops, nearly forgot.

Beefsteak, please pass on one's congratulations to your Man U team for taking the effort and time to come out here last week and give the cream of Australia's soccer fraternity, the Australian All Stars, a lesson in the art of soccer (roundball).

5 - 1.................guess which side scored the most goals :blush:

Now we have your Liverpool team out here to play the local side, Melbourne Victory on Wednesday night before an anticipated record crowd of 90-95,000. Some people are just suckers for punishment.

All I can say is .

WE KICKED YOUR BUMS ................. YET AGAIN.................................. AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO FOR A LONG TIME TO COME !!!!!!!!!!

kickmeenglandflagkickmeenglandflagkickmeenglandflagkickmeenglandflagkickmeenglandflag

You must have sniffed a bit too much jet fuel while you were away!!

Our indigenous brothers down here do the same thing with petrol - it gives them feelings of superiority and great expectations as well.

Bit pathetic really when one realises the feeling does not last forever and leads to permanent brain damage.