Falcon Inn, Alfreton Road, Canning Circus

Hi Im new to this, my first post..!

Im trying to find out some info about the history of the Falcon Inn. All I know is that it was supposedly built around 1860. Any info or knowledge of previous landlords/ladies. Ive found a couple of old photos but nothing else. The Falcon Inn will be re opening at the end of the year.....

• Upvote 1

At a guess I'd say that you are the 'mine host' ?

Only ever went in there a couple of times in the 80s so can't help you really. Anyway, welcome onboard, and don't forget to add your own memories.

Welcome to Nottstalgia, arnold. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing your memories. I saw this review from 2009 and thought it may help you.

At the top of Canning Circus across from the Borlase Warren - The Falcon is a unique little gastro pub. Downstairs its like a step back into an old town pub complete with resident locals, nice pub furnishings, a big screen and a good crowd to watch the rugby with. Upstairs there’s a quaint silver service reataurant serving lovely food that even comes in man-size portions. You can also, if you’re not in the mood for posh, order the same food dowstairs where you can tuck into a mountain of food in their cosy, snug bar. Prices are good too and the quality A rated for a small city pub.

Hello Arnold & welcome to this forum.

I have been through my directories & I have found the following re the Falcon Inn Alfreton Road/Canning Circus

Landlords/ladies.

1868 Thomas Hickling

1916 George Parr

1925 Mrs Julia Godward

1928 Frederick Marshall

1932 Reg Coates

1941 Jack l Turner

I have a directory dated 1860 but although there are public houses listed on Alfreton Road non are mentioned by name

"If" the Falcon existed in 1860 it was almost certainly a "Beerhouse"

Hope tis information is of use.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for that wealth of information. It's very exciting to find it's history. I went in the sub cellar sand stone tunnel which has been bricked up at both ends, no power down there and very low ceiling height, wonder where that lead to. The list of previous landlords/ladies is very much appreciated......

• Upvote 1

Hi - I'm Anthony from Lincoln Green Brewing Company - myself and Adrian Draper of Fellows Morton and Clayton are the new joint owners of The Falcon and we're looking forward to finding out as much information as possible about this landmark pub.

We've been delighted that so many people have spoken so positively about it - we know it's got a great 'feel' about the place and we can't wait to get it open again from October 2013.

We're looking for as much nostalgia / memorabilia as possible - a pub with such a great heritage deserves to proudly put it on display!

Keep the photos, fact and memories coming!

Cheers,

Anthony

Brown envelopes stuffed with tenners gratefully received.

I remember walking around the old cottages where that rubble is in picture one... before it was flattened.Tiny little boxes with low ceilings...they didn't tin 'em up in those days.The rooms inside were tiny.

I remember walking around the old cottages where that rubble is in picture one... before it was flattened.Tiny little boxes with low ceilings...they didn't tin 'em up in those days.The rooms inside were tiny.

Is this you with the bucket ?...... and the law approaching.

buck.jpg

The Falcon from the rear.

Welcome Anthony, Stay tuned.

buck.jpg

"Evenin' all, we had reports at Canning Circus of someone nickin oss muck, property of Shippos!

Loving the photographs - makes more sense of why The Falcon looks the way it does now. I always thought it looked a bit lost on its own but the map and plan showing the older houses, since destroyed, clears that up!

I've been told by a previous landlord that he has the old Shippos sign for The Falcon - so will be trying to get that from him.

One question - if I wanted to use the photographs on my website / get prints done for the inside of the pub, who would I need to get permission from?

Cheers!

If you have cave cellars, you may be able to get those people to do a fly through video and put it on youtube?

I would have thought they would all have been connected?

• Upvote 1

If you have cave cellars, you may be able to get those people to do a fly through video and put it on youtube?

I would have thought they would all have been connected?

Hi - I've emailed the folk who are doing the caves survey and asked them if they'd like to do the fly though at The Falcon - waiting for a reply. Will let you know if I hear from them.