In the attic I found a whole pile of old maps. Amongst them are a couple of old ones of Nottingham. The really interesting one is a Geographia from sometime before 1929 ( it shows the old Poor Institute that became City Hospital). Someone has marked in areas of Sneinton and the Meadows in coloured zones with HQ, Stations and Kiosks and also 'points' rnning from Trent Bridge to Broad Marsh and also a couple in Sneinton. I am intrigued as to what they were as it looks like an official map of some sort. I have a large scan of it (1MB) which can be downloaded from the link.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2145/8vu5.jpg

• Upvote 2

The fact that it doesn't show Central Police Station on North Church Street but includes call boxes, would suggest this map dates back to the 1930s.

"Points" may refer to Police Call Points, which were basically a phone in a box - either on a wall or a lamp-post, from which anyone could pick up the phone and be connected to the police control room immediately.

These were still around well into the 1970s as I remember when Notts Police asked BT (more correctly, Post Office Telephones) to remove the last few.

More here - http://www.britishtelephones.com/pa150d.htm

The stations that are mentioned are all Police Stations.

Snienton Hermitage, Queens Drive, Bath Street etc.

This is from the days when Police officers walked the streets.

Points had to be made at certain times, where an Inspector may or may not have been there to 'meet' them

The are shown as far as I remember has been 'D Division'?

And as far as I can remember in the mid 60s there was a child murdered on Bath Street Park, and the Police Station was built there as a result?

Which could make the map later than 60s.

The Map is probably before Amalgamation of City and County Forces, early 70s. That is why the Division is different and Central Police Station is not shown.

Its part of the County Force Map.

The Map is probably before Amalgamation of City and County Forces, early 70s. That is why the Division is different and Central Police Station is not shown.

Are you sure?

It looks more of a City map to me, with the HQ on the map being at Canal Street/Leenside, which would make it a City Southern Division map - which might also explain why Central isn't shown.

http://www.nottingham21.co.uk/build_canal_street_police_1.htm

I suspect it is much earlier than the 60s - the red lines on certain roads are the old (pre-1935) tram routes. Of course the map could have been in use for many years after that with hand-written amendments and additions.

A dating point.....Victoria Station is still fully working, so the map has to be earlier than 1967.

Lack of development in W Bridgford (see where Musters Road and Gordon Road end), - not to mention Gordon Road (Nottingham) not going as far as top of Donkey Hill! No road development on south of Oakdale Road (my grandma and mum were living on Langdale Road during the war). Notice also the railway lines are marked LM&SR and LNER. I would say the original map was produced no later than the mid 1930s.

The railway lines from Queensdrive to Clifton Colliery were removed sometime in the 1950's, clearly shows them in that map. My Mum and Dad moved to the Meadows around 1960'ish, and I remember the traffic island at the top of Wilford Road back then...It was built after the rail lines were removed..

RobL Was there a southern division on the City Force?

What was the coverage of Nottingham City Police?

I looked but did not spot 'Headquarters' on the map.

And this then is Divisional Headquarters.

The map is actually of the whole city ( I didn't scan it all) but only shows the police information for 'B' Division it seems. A dating point is that Bagthorpe Hospital and the Poor Law Institution are shown off Hcknall Rd/Valley Rd. They became City Hospital in 1929. Also absent is Western Boulevard so it definitely dates from before 1929. Interestingly it also shows Aspley Halll and Aspley Lane spelled aPSley which was a variant used by the Willoughby family.

And as far as I can remember in the mid 60s there was a child murdered on Bath Street Park, and the Police Station was built there as a result?

If you mean the police station on the corner of the park on Bath Street near the market Mick...it was there in 1882.

Maybe it's Lucy Tinslop in 1969

Murdered on 4 August in St Mary's Rest Garden on Bath Street, Nottingham. Became known locally as the 'Birthday Girl Murder' as it took place on the victim's 21st birthday. She left home after a birthday party at her parents house. Screams were heard coming from the rest garden. Lucy's body was found strangled. She had been raped and her killer had ripped her abdomen open and stabbed her vagina over 20 times. Some speculate that the killer was Arnold Booth, a resident of Sneinton in Nottinghamshire, though it is unclear whether any evidence exists to link Booth to Lucy's murder. In 1977 Booth was sentenced to life imprisonment having been convicted of the murder of Renee Howard.

This is a vey exciting find.

It is a divisional map for the City Police and dates to the very early 1930s. The force jurisdiction extends across Trent Bridge to include parts of the city that are now in West Bridgford (The City Ground and the site of County Hall) but not that part of the Victoria Embankment by the suspension bridge.

Note that The Forest is shewn as the Goose Fair site so it must be post 1928.

This should be deposited with either the city local studies library or the county archives.

• Upvote 1

I agree. I'm quite happy to donate it to wherever it would best be stored. That's interesting your spotting of Goose Fair. So the earliest the map could be is 1928 and by 1929 the City Hospital should have been shown so that seems to suggest it is from 1928 or 1929. The Geographia Map Company are still around so it should be easy enough if I contact them.

I'm trying to figure out the significance of the roads that seem to have been pencilled in.

With regards to getting the map properly archived I would drop an email to the city local studies library with a link to the picture of the map.

If they do accept it make sure they give you a nice high quality full-colour copy with a PDF so that we can all enjoy it.