Rice pudding - into an oven proof dish - 11/2 pints of milk, 1 cup rice,1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup grated coconut, 1/2 cup raisins, noggin of butter,sprinkle of ground nutmeg.

Place in the oven on 350 for 11/2 - 2 hours, or untill the skin is very dark brown.All the milk should have been absorbed by the rice etc'.

Put a dollop into a bowl and gently stir in 1/3 cup of single cream.

That is my ideal comfort food, unless there's a box of' Dunkin donuts' around. :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A nice thick, creamy home made rice pudding with a lovely brown skin on top. Oh, and the scrapings from around the edge after the dish is empty.

Come on admit it bet you all picked & chewed on poor poor scabs when you where kid? They did have some flavor bit black puddingy 

Quick alternative steamed pudding enough for two. Approx 2oz sr flour Approx 2oz sugar Approx 2oz butter 1 egg, drop of milk. Beat all the above together,( no need to be to fussy) Syrup or jam o

Saw Reddy Brek at Fresh & Easy this week int that semolina, Still like Tapioca but they are massive here.

Also Devonshire Clotted cream & something that resembled Wagon Wheels.

I ended up buying

Cad flakes so I can make 99s

British bangers for B&M & gravy

Crunchies x 2

Aero x 2

Roundtrees pastels x 2 but lost one from the store to home.

Krispy Kreeme Doughnuts are my choice They are coming back here

I only make a trifle when we have folks round for dinner, it always goes down well with our American friends, and they take home what is left.

Our local Krispy Kreeme was closed down by the health dep't Derek, so now it's 'Dunkin'.

Just found a bean Burrito I forgot to eat yesterday.

Had 2 chicken soft Tacos 1 Beef crunchy taco & a eyes bigger than your belly bean burrito .

:biggrin: Hi dgBrit, good to see that you're using the quote I put on 'Nottstalgia' this morning: 'Eyes bigger than your belly'.

PS: If it catches, it'll soon become part of everyday speech once more - good on ya............ :biggrin:

:biggrin: Ate a load of blackberries from out of the garden the other day; I felt so much better today, the fruit seems to have got rid of my cold.

This afternoon I helped myself to some more; blackberries fresh from the garden, real 'Comfort Food' - I'll say! :biggrin:

:biggrin: Hi dgBrit, good to see that you're using the quote I put on 'Nottstalgia' this morning: 'Eyes bigger than your belly'.

PS: If it catches, it'll soon become part of everyday speech once more - good on ya............ :biggrin:

Nope didn't even see it I use it all the time as far as I know it never went away.

:biggrin: Ate a load of blackberries from out of the garden the other day; I felt so much better today, the fruit seems to have got rid of my cold.

This afternoon I helped myself to some more; blackberries fresh from the garden, real 'Comfort Food' - I'll say! :biggrin:

Sorry you have a cold Had to laugh the other day my friend here caught a cold its only been 98-110 deg for the last 2 months

I don't miss the colds I used to get in the UK seemed like I always had one

Its funny but when I think about Colds I get a little ditty going through my head (Dead dogs Eye & green snot Pie) cant remember any more of it though.

#77 Whaar, Ya talking puddings and i'm in. I would give up all other food if i could live on puddings. My ultimate fave is home made trifle, lots of it with nuts on top and deep custard and thick cream. I have given myself tummy ache tonight cos i had Strawberries and cream ,half a lge bar Cadbury's dairy milk, a wedge of Tesco Victoria sponge followed by Tesco chocolate cake (only a small piece because i don't want to be greedy).Lol Well i am on holiday!

Here you go Derek'

Scab and matter pudding, green snot pie

All mixed together with a dead dogs eye

Stir it thick with a dirty stick

Then swill it down with a cold cup of sick. Not really comfort food tho'

• Upvote 1

This is much more wholesome though, has a bit of meat and cheese.....still the same beverage to finish off with:

Dead Dog's Liver, drowned cat's eye,

Mouldy cheese and yellow matter pie,

Stir it quick, spread it thick

And wash it down with a cup of cold sick.

Learnt that at Sunday School.

Today our comfort food will be here at sunny Perranporth, Home made steak and onion gravy pie, prossy peas, and chip shop chips.mmmmmmmmmmmmm fabulumtious.

I slowly cooked the stewing steak and onions for about 2/3 hours and when it was almost falling apart i thickened it with Bisto onion gravy granules, let it go completely cold (if not completely cold, the gravy will go thin again) and freeze in a plastic container, cook the pastry in squares on a baking tray and freeze separately in the same way. Heat the meat in microwave, and just rest the pastry on the warm pie filling ( that will warm it) on your plate (it will go soggy if you microwave it), and Wallah, a taste of home.

cool2

• Upvote 1

:Shock: Yuck, Trevor, I don't know how you dare put 'that poem'!! on @ #88; I'd thought about it on occasions but considered it far too unpalatable for 'Nottstalgia'.

PS: what gruesome kids we must have been to have recited this in the playground or on the way home from school - or was it that we enjoyed a touch of bad? :Shock:

• Upvote 1

Bought some shredded suet today.......Steamed treacle pud and custard for Sunday - Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

:biggrin: Brings tears and taste buds to my mind as I remember my mum's steamed puddings ( Compo's post @ #95); her jam roly poly was to die for............. :ohmy:

PS: come to think of it, all the puddings my mum made when I was a kid could be labelled: 'Comfort Foods' - eat your heart out all you 'Masterchef's' on the telly...........

No! Do not refrigerate. Leave the mixture out in the sun if you can as it will cause a further enhancement of the piquant flavours of this culinary delight.

dgbrit............Have you really got a Cobra Mustang?

And of course, apologies to Jackson in advance hellothere

No! Do not refrigerate. Leave the mixture out in the sun if you can as it will cause a further enhancement of the piquant flavours of this culinary delight.

dgbrit............Have you really got a Cobra Mustang?

Yes Neon red SVT Cobra DOHC 32 valve 4.7 hand signed engine anall owder one but goody Email & I will send you a picky

Made a big corned beef stew today with stuff out of the garden. Just like me mam used to make :)