Went there yesterday for a ride, no real difference to the roads since I last went (cept speed camera's) but a lot of changes since the 1960's route which included going through Nuthall, Kimberley Eastwood and Ripley town centres, though after Ambergate the road pretty much as it was back then, Recall the widening of the bottle neck at Cromford but that may have been pre 1960? and the later removal of the canal bridge over the road.

Matlock Bath itself not changed a deal though lots of the shops now catering for tourist trade, fast food etc, even 3 for the motorcycle trade, talking of which about 30 bikes there with most riders and pillions looking as if ready to lap the isle of man!

The Pavilion where Hendrix and The Beatles played remains, though mostly shut cept for a bit of a mining museum but to me the real let down was not the illuminations (they've always been crap) but the fact large sheets of some sort of green fabric have been erected to prevent the public seeing the illuminated craft (about 6 rowing boats gaudily painted and decorated by from the look of them primary school kids) unless they pay the £6 per person to enter the "viewing area" however some of the public look to have made their own viewing area by burning holes in the screens here and there!

A rip off otherwise, esp if taking kids

Spent a lot of time in Matlock Bath in the mid 60's. The caving club I belonged to had a hostel at 1 South Parade, used to be a bank.

I am struggling to remember a canal bridge though. As far as I know the canal ran along side the A6 at low level on the right as you went towards Matlock Bath.

Colin

Remember Matlock Bath in the 1950s before the main road was widened to how it is now. It really was an impossible bottleneck - but the space between the road and the river was occupied by what was called the finest inland promenade in England (possibly Europe), with attractive gardens - and, of course, shelters for those very occasional rainy days ! In those days most folks arrived by the trainload on excursions from Nottingham, Derby, Erewash Valley stations, and of course the Sheffield and Manchester directions too. Once they got there between 11 and midday, there was no turning back (whatever the weather) until their scheduled return excursion, typically around half past six in the evening.

Thanks for the replies, the petrifying well has long since gone, (it was a sort of sideshow stall near the pavilion where I think spring water heavily containing lime? turned objects, toys, the odd plimsole, or umbrella etc etc "to stone" (covered with a coating of limestone? think it was something like 6d to view it? (the ? refer to unsure facts) The canal crossing ABOVE the A610 was near The Excavator Pub, a former cafe in the 1960's, photos of the one way controlled by traffic lights, "tunnel" under it, and a photo showing the canal c/w with narrow boat on it crossing the road and the midland railway with a passenger train on the latter can be found on picture the past

More often than not used to turn off just before we got there, taking the Via Gellia 'oop to Manchester from Nottingham. I would be riding pillion on my favourite Uncles motorbike. No 'elf and sefty then, no seatbelts, no helmet, nothing just hung on for grim death along this fabulous winding road, often at night. If you let go you were history. Couldn't have been more than ten at the time.

Yes recall (dimly) the timepiece , there's a sort of little wishing well near there now, (full of fags ends, chip trays and lager cans on wednesday) but the fishpond was nice and clear though fewer fish than I recall in the past, btw that narrow boat on the canal photo appears to have vanished, and I can't download other picture the past photos?.

I still like to at least drive through Matlock Bath when I am in the U.K. Many happy memories of Sunday drives with my parents as a young lad, then riding up there on my Vespa, then my Triumph - and eventually in my own car. It has always had something of a "seaside" quality to it - complete with a rock shop!

Yes Newbasfordlad thats the one, still have a print of that narrow boat on the canal as it passed over an LMS passenger train below it, think a "timed" photo, ie the photographer waited till the 2 came together, afraid my scanner u/s so can't copy and post, As regards renovating the canal, hang on a bit, we've got to rebuild The Great Central first!

Wasn't Nottingham Road Club was it? only I recall a not so great day coming back from Matlock just past Whatstandwell when I forgot the borrowed bike I was on didn't have toeclips and dancing on the pedals my foot came off and into the front wheel, Not only did I go A over T over the handlebars but was run over by a girl who had been just behind me in the "pelatron"! worse was to follow after as whilst very sympathetic towards me as I limped home she turned me down when I asked for a date,lol

Re #16, I always thought that going to Matlock Bath was like an inland Skeggy with Chippies, illuminations, rock shops and crazy golf. I loved it when I was a kid and could not understand why Mum and Dad pulled a face when I suggested we go there. Still have the same feelings when I drive through nowadays, though not stopped there for 40 years or more, perhaps because nowhere to park 'cos it's allus full of motorbikes.

• Upvote 1

No not NRC, Ashley. Sherwood cycling club. We used to do a 100 miler on a Sunday once in a while. Can't remember the exact route now, think it was via Buxton, but the Via Gellia and Matlock bath were part of the return route. After that, the pub!

re the "pulled a face" Recall one of the rare occasions Mum & Dad (together) took me out one bank holiday, I wanted to go to Matlock Bath but they said it would be too busy, this was around 1956, and it wasn't a parking thing as we went on the train, I was annoyed about such going but had a good time getting off at Darley Dale finding a little lake, paddling, catching small fish, then playing with new born lambs and having a drink from a natural spring before.the more usual drinks and crisps at a little pub before another ride home on a steam train.

went too matlock on wednessday ash if you go across the bridge and up the river on the other side you can see the illuminated boats realy well only thing is at weekends and nights the gates are locked so you have to pay to go in park if you want to see them and you have to go to park and ride at cromford as the ponds carpark is buses only pick up place comented to dave what a poor show the boats are now as you say ash never that good.

we went up to hope today then through castleton and buxton and matlock on the way back matlock was still quite busy most bikes had or were leaving as it had started to rain but still lots of cars about.

Funny thing. I've been working at the Peacock at Rowsley (just up the road from MB) and will be there for 3 more weeks.

Oh. By the way. For a pretty comprehensive set of old pics of the Cromford Canal including Bullbridge Aqueduct and both ends of Butterley Tunnel, visit picture the past.org most of them taken by a guy called Reg Baker.