Loppylugs, when were you in the Sherwood? I was a member between about 1969 and 1972 as a youth. Still got some time trial medals somewhere....

It upset my dad and brother, though, as they were both in Nottm Road Club - dad was actually a member since the 1930s, and went on to be a founder member of Nottm Arrow, but I chose Sherwood due to where they used to meet - the Chesterfield on Main Road Gedling.

Re: petrifying well, there's a "stall" across the river set back a bit in the rockface where petrified things hang on rails with the natural spring water dripping on them , as you say gloves, plimpsols kids plastic toy's etc

Rog

ment also to say they now have a petrifying well in the aquirium dont know what its like as i have not been in it for years 1980s last time when mmy kids were young not long after we had our first car.

Hi Rob Re. Post#26

I was a member from 1960 to around the end of 1962. Began some pretty serious dating around that time so drifted away a bit. Ran a few tens and twenty fives. Never a great athlete but did enjoy the Sunday club runs and being next door to the Chesterfield certainly didn't hurt. Some great guys and gals there at that time. Wonder where they all are now? I know of one in Australia and another in Canada, but that's about it.

More names for you Loppylugs ......... Lin (Lionel) James and Don Lilley, both of whom had very successful carpet-fitting businesses in the 60's and 70's but were cyclists in their younger days.

The name Johnny Aslin seems to ring a bell somewhere between these long ears, but. really can't remember much if anything about him. There were a couple of brothers there name Dollman. I think the eldest one died a year or two ago. Could name a few more but you may not have known them anyway.

#34 One of the brothers was Alan Dolman. Remember him well from my days.

Other names you may remember - Bert Morris (seemed to have his pipe permanently lit). and Frank Beale. Lin's brother, Ken James, is one of my neighbours.

If you rode in any of the open time trials, chances are that my dad may have taken your photo as he covered lots of races across the East Mids - both taking (and selling) photos and reporting the races for both Cycling Magazine and the Evening Post, and when ti was still around, the Guardian Journal.

Other names you may remember - Bert Morris (seemed to have his pipe permanently lit). and Frank Beale. Lin's brother, Ken James, is one of my neighbours.

Do you mean permanently lit, or permanently in his mouth? My experience of pipe-"smokers" is that the two conditions are not necessarily the same!

That's right, Rob. Alan Dolman was the older brother. Younger one was Malcom. Remember Bert Morris well, he seemed to be immortal. He was there when I started and when I left. Think he may have been club president. Another longtimer was Johnny Elliot.. Wonder if that's who Lizzie M was referring to? I think he emigrated at some point too.

No, different people. John Aslin became a professional racer during the 60s, ably supported by his dad, Jack.

I'm trying to remember others who would have been with the Sherwood at the same time as you. Might need to do some hunting around old files...

Ron Hallam and Joe Baines come to mind. I only remembered Joe's name from another thread talking about POWs during the war. Joe had been a "guest" of the Japanese and decided after the war that he would never have anything in his house which was made In Japan.

Take it you meant motorbikes Bilboro-lad? if so seventies a bit extreme? tend to be all ages at Matlock but agree most "mature", that said was talking to 2 guys at White Hart last night (why does it rain every thursday?) one 70 the other 75, both still riding, one on an immaculate 650 BSA he bought in 1959 as ride to work transport, Which leads me to say this saturday starting about 12 noon till "late"theres a "bikes and trikes day/night" at The White Hart with a blues/rock band playing (I think) outdoors, plus Bar BQ etc, and Sunday is "scooter and trikes day" with suitable disco for the former, last time 130 scoots in car park (Jackie Pownall's could have had a field day) only joking, most were again immaculate.

when we left heart today ash not very many rockers or mods about perhaps only about a dozen in all rain stoped play today i did tell the few mods on schooter as it was mods and rockers revival i was going out side to play dominoe rally with the scooters though.

• 7 years later...

Should be in Gran Canaria :angry2: day trip to Matlock instead, parked in the newish Sainsbury’s carpark (now one way over the Derwent) after walking to the Bath & back the car park had been taken over by travellers, granddaughter nearly came home with a thoroughbred mongrel puppy dawg!