autumn is here

Autumn is my favorite time of year, it's a win win for me when we have abit of an Indian summer too! It's not too hot like summer, not quite as cold as winter. The summer mornings are gorgeous, I'm currently looking at a very orange sun rise with a cuppa tea in my garden. The colours of autumn I love... And the fact it's my birthday and Halloween during the season, and I love Halloween!!

Anyone else on here love it? Or hate it?

• Upvote 1

I love the whole spookiness of Halloween, the fun of it. And it's tradition in this house that we sit in candle light and watch the nightmare before Christmas and a horror once little ones in bed.

I love carving pumpkins, last year a lot of the parents and older kids paid compliments to my carving skills, I love the burning smell of a pumpkin as the candle catches it.

I'm thinking about doing a couple of things for my daughter and my friend may be coming with her two kids. If I do them a dinner, I'm thinking of chopping hotdogs into 3s and threading through raw spaghetti, cooking (looks like there's worms in the sausages!) Then with a red pasta sauce on top. Maybe take then trick or treating locally. My neighbors have told me I must dress little one up and bring her to their doors so they can see her and give her a sweetie.

My mum always said trick or treating was a form of begging. But she and I never mind the younger kids, they see it as abit of fun and the sweets a added bonus. Pee's me off seeing teenage girls dressed like tarts, they get nothing from this house!

Spring and Autumn are the two best times of the year here, warm enough to enjoy them and cool enough to get some work down. Average temps this time of year are mid 70's.

NewBasfordlad, I have to agree with you there. Our friends across the pond make a big deal of Halloween because they don't have Guy Fawkes Night (which I dislike because of the stress it causes our dogs). Having said that though, we've been in Miami on 31st October and they have so much fun there on that night, just about everyone, including their dogs, dress up and parade around South Beach. I've got some fantastic photos I've taken of various costumes, wish I knew how to post pics, haha! Last year, although I don't like Halloween, I bought a loads of sweeties for the children when they came knocking and not a single person came to the door. That was a result ........ We ate them all !!

I love autumn, the tree colours are lovely, but it heralds winter, which is not a good thing. Our mountain just south of town is mostly pine trees, with aspens nearer the top. The top is 9300ft, so pretty chilly up there, and the aspens are just beginning to turn yellow. So it looks like autumn is coming. As for Halloween, we live in the boonies, no street lights etc, so we don't get the trick or treaters come by, but, we always buy candy 'just in case' [i've been caught out before now, and had to raid the fridge and pantry for anything sweet!], so like you Lizzie, we have to eat them after the fact. A rotten job, but somebody has to do it. By the way this is post #4,000, only taken me 7 years! I like to go for quality, not quantity, LOL.

• Upvote 1

I also enjoy the novelty of going out in scarves and hats etc. Before it gets too cold!

Me and paige have started having porridge for breakfast, so the mornings must be getting chilly!

I love the foods too, fresh corn on the cob, squashes, mushy pea's, all those gorgeous but so bad for you and possibly made out of rat burgers on a cold night when your out.. making your hands/gloves stink of onions for the next week or so.

I'll continue to make a little thing of Halloween for as long as my daughter enjoys it. You dont have to cake the house in decorations, but there's so many things you can do with your children and grandchildren during that Holiday - spooky foods, spooky crafts, dress up, spooky family films, games.

I also like the stories behind Halloween that to me being 22 still make it my favorite day of the year. The story of the jack o lantern, how on that day our realm crosses with the others were fairies, ghosts etc are meant to be seen, and the story of the witches, so many that I love I can't wait to share with my daughter when she's older :)

I think Autumn and Spring were made for people who can write poetry. And I think there are one or two of you out there who can or already have done. If you have, it would make an interesting topic.

I'm rubbish at poetry.

Now give me some paints + paper and that's a different story.

:biggrin: So you enjoy Poetry too do you Bilbraborn? - the highest Art Form we were informed..................

PS: Takes me some time to create a poem but once I've made one, there's a tremendous feeling of time well spent; after I've done on 'Nottstalgia' I'm going to do some more work on my poems................

• 1 month later...

I had a few minutes to spare so this is hot off the press:

The saddest of seasons is the autumn

Under grey leaden skies, just waiting to cry

Nature’s lost interest and is preparing to sleep,

The hibernating creatures will slumber so deep.

And many will not re-awake.

The fields once golden are now muddy clay

The farmer is waiting for the frost.

The lone hardy walker in the far off field

Lost in her thoughts of what might have been.

If ever she’d met that man of her dreams.

The crow wheels across the sky to the wood,

She’s raised her brood and now they’ve left,

The walker now near out of sight,

She wanders home in the cold twilight

To an empty house once more.

Melancholy days of sad refrain,

Of dogs and masters in the rain.

If I have the choice,

But I guess I won’t.

I hope that I die in the autumn.

RGR

What a lovely image of the typical English pub ! could just visualise myself going in there for a nice ploughmans lunch and a pint of bitter !

Will have to have a look next year when I intend another visit.

#13 Bilbro-lad

A bit depressing that!

I think Autumn is one of the most beautiful seasons with the trees showing such lovely colours as they prepare to shed their leaves.

The harvests are gathered in, and preparations are underway for Yuletide celebrations.

The birds that winter here often visit my garden for fallen apples and other tidbits that I put out for them.

For the earth it is a time of sleep to prepare for the energies of spring. Everything has to rest at some time and this is it. The creatures that hibernate do so as their foods are not available and most will awaken in the spring, generally just the old and weak that will continue to slumber in eternal rest.

Smashing RGR :).. but summat was bothering me!... :(

Sept2012UK091.jpg has many face through out year and autumn can be beautiful .Love the theatres in the City at this time.

Aahhh ... Thats better :)

autumnedited_zps1b4bb9c3.jpg

• Upvote 1

First real hard frost of the season and way below average 17F as I type, outside that is....

This will be our first warm autumn and winter, we came down here early October and the weather has just continued on from the summer we left behind. Seems strange to be in short sleeves and shorts still, when we see the date on the calendar. Yesterday golfed in 90 deg weather. Christmas will seem strangest of all, not to be in winter weather.

I never got totally used to Christmas being mid summer when I lived down under, hard to eat a full Christmas dinner in 100 plus temps too.