The Longest Day (D Day film) (settle a bet,lol)

Anyone know if this was recently shown on tv? have tried to find it via catch up etc (On either the main channels or the freeview ones) someone I know says they saw it thus and in that version one (only one) of the germans spoke in english? If you know the film it was the first one to see the invasion fleet Major Werner Pluskat (played by Hans Christian Blech) in his bunker on the cliff. Every version I have seen has all the germans speaking german with sub titles

Hi Ashley,

Not seen it on the TV recently but I did notice it on XMBC, either Ice Film or 1 Channel I believe, often you get a choice of language in subtitles there. If you need to know more, PM Me.

Correct, the Germans speak German with subtitles throughout the movie.

I think I downloaded the movie a couple of weeks back, I'll check my lists.

I too seem to remember it on the telly recently (Film 4 springs to mind) I didn't watch it as I have it on DVD. When I get an hour or six I'll plod through it for you.
Robert Michum , John Wayne, Richard Burton et Al?

I'd say more like anybody and everybody was in that movie at the time Ian, Sean Connery's first role, albeit a very small one, top actors from all over the world played parts in the movie...Like a who's who of the film world in the 60's.

Changed my mind , as I'm free tomorrow I'm going to have a 'late one' tonight and stay up to watch it on the 'big screen'.

How big a screen?? Not sure now, but unless it's been modified, won't it be just a square in the middle of the screen??? Some movies have me astounded in as much many have been modified or were made for wide screens.

Not massive, 42 inch I think, but I have various different 'screen modes' (6 on the telly, and 3 on the Blue ray, making 18 different combinations) and I can usually make a decent screen size. (We'll have to wait and see!)

We have the 50 inch Westinghouse, it automatically adjusts to the movie size information, sounds big, but our living room is large, but it's the biggest we need..Good for my eyes too...LOL

Thanks for help so far, have found the cinema trailer did in fact have 2 of the germans ( the only ones seen talking in the clips) speaking english! but don't think I've ever seen a full length version of the film thus (saw it at the cinema over 50 years ago! and at least once more there plus god knows how many tv showings and have 2 copies , tape and dvd)

The trailer can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqFn_pM5QxU

Don't want to appear pendantic but knew sean connery had made at least 3 films before The Longest Day, in fact on looking it up found a few more and that The Longest Day was released in the UK 8 was days after Dr No was!

I thought it was his first role, I knew he hadn't done a lot of acting before it.

Sean Connery had a starring role in the Disney film 'Darby O'Gill and the Little People' that was released in 1959:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052722/

I remember seeing that at the Cavendish on St Ann's Well Road in autumn 1959 the night before my first day at Blue Bell Hill School after we moved to Nottingham. I found the ghost scenes - with the Banshee - all a bit scary!

Sean Connery had a starring role in the Disney film 'Darby O'Gill and the Little People' that was released in 1959:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052722/

I remember seeing that at the Cavendish on St Ann's Well Road in autumn 1959 the night before my first day at Blue Bell Hill School after we moved to Nottingham. I found the ghost scenes - with the Banshee - all a bit scary!

Have you visited the BBH school recently,M I ? I walked past the old caretakers`house (which is all that is left of BBH) this summer. The new BBH is rather posh and doing well due in part to the headmistress.Not sure but is it the old senior girls school building. I think that as JOCO is the local councillor a little more than the average funds end there.

Talking of the Cavendish,the area around that cinema is beautifully landscaped.(again thanks to JOCO). Walk through the local council houses along side with their postage sized gardens and see apathy at work.Instead of gardens to compliment the area,just rubbish and unkempt areas.

St Annes was quite an eye opener though.

Finally were Messrs Clarke,Ball and Ken Martin (of swimming fame) still there in your day? Mr Ball was an absolute thug with the `strap'. Got me through the 11+ though.

Hi Stan

I think the last time I was up that way was in the 1980s. It was the first time I had been to the area since the mid-1960s and I couldn't believe it - EVERYTHING had gone! All new build houses and everything - the only way I could work out even approximately where Blue Bell Hill Road used to be was the rise of the ground. I think, as you say, there was one small part of the old school buildings left, but literally nothing else of the school or anything round about.

I don't remember those names. I was there from autumn 1959 until summer 1961. Headmaster was Mr Leigh. We had Mr Lowe for my class in my last year. Only other male teacher I remember is Mr Tennyson. First year I was there (1959/60) class teacher was Miss Woods. I've put a class photo from 1960 on one of the other threads somewhere on this Forum.