UK's Worst Mining Disaster.

100 years ago on Tuesday October 14, 400 miners lost their lives in Senghenydd, Universal Colliery in South Wales.

The 400, should be 439, 400 came from a photo from the time.

lots of terrible minning acidents over the years even worse when large number of miners are involved and in a minning area 100 years ago often small communitysit proberly wiped out most of the population and would have hit most families

ahyupmeduck do you happen to know if records were kept on indervidual accidents in late 1800s trying to find out some information about my great grad father who died 1881 age just 26 years in the cencus that year his ocupation is down as a miner but it also says he was blind and he died very shortly after the cencus was takenand i am wondering if his blindness was caused by a minning acedent

Babbs, there's a guy in Nottinghamshire who has a site listing accidents from way back to the end of the industry, sorry I don't have the address of the site, but I'll try and locate it later and post a link to it here.

He lists all the men killed in mining accidents, most how, dates etc on the site.

The industries laws were carved out of dead bodies, the mandatory two shafts came about from a very bad accident in the north east, the minimum age because of another bad accident that shocked Victoria as there were girls as young as five killed underground..

Here you go Babbs...Just click in the letter of the pit, ie G for pits beginning with G etc..

http://www.healeyhero.co.uk/rescue/Fatalities/Notts/Notts-A.html#top

I don't want to be accused of 'having a go at' anybody, and perish the thought that I'm "Doing somebody down" simply because my opinion differs to theirs, but in my honest opinion the biggest ever mining disaster in this country started circa 1984 (Or maybe when she was elected in 79)

hi little bro all i know is from 1881 cencusat the timethe family were living with enochs farther james henshaw in heanor derbyshire no idea what pitit wasbut i know quite a few in that area.

People weren't very "mobile" in 1881 Babbs, so where did he live??? Usually he wouldn't be living too far from the colliery he worked at.

If you go to that site I posted a few back here, pick a pit, go back to 1880 accidents and see where the feller lived who had an accident, and you'll see fewer lived more than five miles from the pit they were employed at.

Too early for me...LOL, I missed Heanor Derbys. I'll see what pits there were around that area when I've woke up.

IMO the worst mining disaster of all time was Margaret Thatcher. She was responsible for the death of about a quarter of a million mining jobs and the villages that relied upon them for their existence!

When I worked for the NCB in the 60's and after I'd left and worked in outside supported industry, we did about 50% NCB work, it was estimated for every mineworker, ten outside workers in industry supported the coal industry, from mining supplies like safety boots, belts, helmets, caplamps, timber, steel, mining machine manufacturers, steel rope makers, cable companies, communications, ie telephone and intercom equipment, conveyor belt manufacturers, bit manufacturers, lubricant companies, repair shops, welding supplies.........List goes on and on right down to sheltered workshops that kept us in tool bags, pouches, knee pads etc... So really, over 2 million people in outside industries lost their jobs too.

I wonder what that cost the communities and government in lost tax revenues???? Not to mention, exports of mining equipment, caplamps, (Oldham and Ceag), companies that are gone now, BJD, Huwood just to mention two, and companies that are now owned by companies in other countries...

The finantial bill would be well into the tens of billions lost...

Here's three for you Babs, Ormonde, Shipley and Whitwick Collieries.

I would like to add my bit to worst mining disaster all though it doe's not include pits,

Wales doe's any one remember Abervan (not sure of spelling) when the pit tip slid down and coved a school lots of children and teachers lost there lives. It brought tears to my eyes when I watched it on the news.

I think you'll find there were more industries than the mining industry that went to the wall under all different leaders, don't forget the Labour government closed more mines than the conservatives did and the unions played a big part in the closures too

Rog

Very much so Mary, I was a young apprentice at Clifton when that happened, Hobart House ordered all pits to stop working and the tips examined by the Managers to make sure they were safe!!

Ironically, nobody's heads rolled over that disaster..

They sure did Roger, hundreds of pits were closed during the 60's, as Roben's said many years afterwards, the NCB should have pursued more while the Unions and men were in the right frame of mind..

In the Nottingham area, we saw Radford, Wollaton, Bestwood and Clifton closed in the 60's under Alf Robens as the head of the NCB, not sure if they were closed under Labour governments.

It's a strange thing re the Aberfan disaster, I feel a strange affinity to the dead as they were my generation that was wiped out by it, and I well remember the services we had at school to commemorate the dead.

I used to pass the village regularly in the 2000s as I did a lot of work at Merthyr Tydfyll and avoided the by pass to have a looksee once. Wow!! is all I can say, it was raining and everything in the graveyard appeared to be weeping in memory of those kids and teachers.

I always have a feeling of "There but for the grace of god go I" when I think of the Pantglass School dsaster

I have to carry out our tip inspections weekly as part of the regulation 12 quarry regs, make sure they are stable and not likely to move,( A tip is any stored material that is above ground level) there was a large landslip somewhere in Derbyshire a few years back when a quarry silt tip decided to go walkabouts and it covered all the roads and most gardens in the village with silt (waste from the production of aggregates) got the quarry industry in a tiz that did so the HSE are a bit hot on tips and quite right too

Rog