ey up, me ducks!

Just introducing myself. I'm Nottm born and bread (Dunkirk mainly), married a Basford lad, had two nippers born at the QMC, but moved to Wales in 2000 (does that make me an ex-pat? :biggrin: )

Mum's lot all from Dunkirk for generations, Dad's lot from Beeston for generations. In fact, my dad's family name Oldham, is (in)famous in Beeston. I had several generations of forebears involved in Beeston fire service, during late 1800's to around 1950. (I'm told that when my great granddad, Thomas Oldham, died in 1947 (?) on the day of the funeral the whole place mourned, shops closed for a couple of hours, people drew curtains, and his coffin was pulled through the town to Beeston cemetery on the top of the fire engine. I've had photos and service records sent me by a chap from Beeston fire service in charge of the archives.)

Go home two or three times a year. Miss the accent terribly. BUt don't miss the traffic :laugh:

Am currently writing children's novels which are situated in and around Nottm. So, I joined here just to remind me of the people, the places, the history, the culture. I may be picking your brains from time to time, making sure my memory serves me right before I use it in my work. Hope you don't mind.

Alright ducks?

tara for naah.

DD

Welcome DD .

Think you are a bit out on Thomas Oldhams death . There is an article in the Evening Post from March 1930 announcing his death . Says he lived at Regent Street , Beeston and he was 68 when he died . He had served for 37 years in the fire service . He was a well known local gardener and acted as a judge at horticulteral shows .

Maybe at first he was a part time fire-fighter as on the 1911 Census he appears as a bricklayer living at 5 Regent St.

Here with the rest of the family . Apart from wife Jane , all born Beeston :

OLDHAM, Thomas Head .Married . age 49 born 1862 . occ. Bricklayer.

OLDHAM, Jane Wife Married 30 years 47 1864 Broadway Somersetshire

OLDHAM, Thomas Son Single 39 1872 Fitter Cycle

OLDHAM, Henry Son Single 27 1884 foundry Labourer

OLDHAM, George Son Single 21 1890 Lace Shreader

OLDHAM, James H Son Single 15 1896 Tailors Errand Boy

OLDHAM, Albert Son Single 13 1898 Printers Errand Boy

OLDHAM, Ivy Daughter 4 1907

Welcome DD,

Hows that for a coincidence ! My dad had two ? brothers who served at Beeston Fire Stn 1930s to 1950s I think, I never met em cos my dad died when I was seven yrs old so did not remember his family.

Remember going to visit them on the bus !

From what I have been told their house was a fire house adjoining the fire station which was situated where the multi story car park is / was now.

Any info would be most welcome.

Thank you, Catfan.

hey up dd me duck welcome to our happy little worldim sure many of us will have lots of memories for you my husband was an old lenton lad only 2 mins from dunkirkand i hail from netherfield and carlton moved into old lenton 1972 when we got married and my sons both started there school life at dunkirk school.