Winter's here in Caithness.

Lovely to look at but horrible to be in !

Remember many years ago having to climb a telegraph pole in a blizzard to replace some overhead cables that had come down in a storm, took me and another bloke about 2 hours between us !

Frozen fingers and stiff as a board when we came down, at least we had a lpg heater in the back of the van to thaw us out.

Struggling today with 34C and a bit humid, mind the aircon helps. :-)

I remember the winters back in the 50s and early 60s, none more so than when I was still going to RoT Infant School and had to walk there from Cliff Drive or later, from the Kennels,

Deep snow and drifts, dark grey clouds and heavy, thick snow flakes causing the visibility to fade into a white/grey background. Snowball fights, slides on the ice, walking through new snow and being the first to leave your footprints.

Strange, but I can never recollect complaining of the cold!

Now.................................................

It's even come down south a bit. Came to Keswick this afternoon and there was snow on the hills along the A66 and surrounding Keswick.

Winters rearing it's ugly head over here, early for us to have such cold nights, the other night dropped to below 18F or in new money minus 8C. It didn't get above freezing during that day, then yesterday we had freezing rain as this arctic air mass headed eastwards.

Same system brought heavy snow to Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas all heading eastwards to disrupt the lives of those on the "right" coast.

Roger, when I lived in Bathurst NSW we had an outdoor council worker who wore shorts year round sun and rain, snow and frost, never made a blind bit of difference to him....

Me??? In jeans now, my legs get cold, although here where I live now, when we get the bitterly cold northerly winds, it's very easy to get frost bitten!!

Hurts my face and nose...

Personally I'd rather have 10 degrees than 36 any day. I hated the summers in Oz - and oddly, the Aussies seemed to too.

Not this little black duck.

I love it and I wouldn't trade it for the grey ,bleak days of winter in England.

Baz. :ninja:

I had a couple of Xmases in Ethiopia. Lovely hot Xmas day!! Beats the hell out f damp and cold.

A very dry "cowd" morning here, 19F or in new money minus 7C..Brrrrr

I doubt it Compo, this is cold arctic air sinking southwards. I'm about on the same latitude as North Africa, different climate though..You might get the tail end of the storms that went through the mid west earlier in the week that's hitting the east coast right now.

As winter progresses for us, we get more and more cold fronts sinking south from Canada.

On two or three days recently , Shetland has been the warmest place in the UK. If you keep your eyes on the weather forecasts this winter, you will see this happens quite often. We have turned the heating off, but not for long, I expect.