Telephone Number

Got to tell you.......My reputation score of 488 is the same as our old telephone number at ROT, both at Cliff Drive and then at the Kennels: -

..........................................................................Radcliffe On Trent 488.

The number of times I used that when it was a local manned exchange in Radcliffe and then when it went automated and we had a dial.

Just a bit of useless trivia but it excited me for a couple of seconds.

• Upvote 1

Sadly, once you reach these dizzy heights, you can only stay there by posting nothing but boring and inconsequential trivia that no-one "likes" ! Congratulations on being (as I write) 10 ahead of your old telephone number (but I wouldn't mind betting a long way from reaching your present one!!!)

sorry a house a telephone and a kennel a reputation of 488 and excitement dont you think you were being greedy,

Good job it wont me, I'd 'ave to take more medications yer know - not used to excitement me. Hehe!

• Upvote 2

We had a phone in the 50's, [dad was self employed] the only one on our bit of the road for quite a while. It was a shared line to start with, that was fun, not. The phone box was not very far from us, right across from the #22 bus terminus, but folks still came to us to use the phone, it was at least warmer that the call box. Our number was Bulwell 271673, never forgot it.

Never had a phone until the mid 70s - Long Eaton 63066. Katyjay - amazing that Bulwell exchange had 6-digit numbers, when most of Nottingham city was 5-digit. My dad's number at work (the goods offices opposite the Midland station on Carrington Street) was 85251.

• Upvote 1

As Nottingham grew, the number ranges changed. As said, in the 70s, City numbers were 5-digit and began with 4 or 5, then new ranges were added with 6-digits (41xxxx, 58xxxx).

Sherwood numbers were also 5-digit starting with 6, then changed to 6-digit 60xxxx and 62xxxxx, Arnold was 26xxxxx and later, 20xxxxx was added, Carlton was 24xxxxx but as that exchange ran out of capacity, the new Gedling exchange was built with 87xxxx numbers. Bulwell was 27, then 75 was added.

There were quite a lot of changes to other parts of Nottm. The most significant being the 52xxxx range, exclusively for Diamond Cable customers, and the 34xxxx numbers where you could listen in to Radio Nottingham and Radio Trent.

(This is all from memory, so may not be totally accurate!)

Never had a phone until the mid 70s - Long Eaton 63066. Katyjay - amazing that Bulwell exchange had 6-digit numbers, when most of Nottingham city was 5-digit. My dad's number at work (the goods offices opposite the Midland station on Carrington Street) was 85251.

My Dad worked on the horse and drays, then articulated BR delivery lorries there Stephen.

Small world innit. Or not. Or perhaps. Maybe...

And at the other end of the scale, my Grandma refused to have a telephone in her house at WB.

Still hear her reason to this day....'Bad news gets to you fast enough without having one of those things in the house'

She lived with us for a short time at ROT and still following the same logic, refused to answer the phone, calling out for someone to answer it or, if no one home, advising the first one home that 'the phone rang while you were out'.

A strange quirk but we still loved her.

• Upvote 1

Re #14 - Yes Rob - absolutely positive (and then you had to ask the operator for extension 23 - them were the days !). However the old commercial office at Alan House, Clumber Street, was 48531, and this was the exchange number that was transferred to the new Nottingham Divisional Manager's organisation at Furlong House, when the Clumber Street office closed.

O aye - just remembered another - Bartons at Chilwell was 254881 - it was printed along the top of the ticket rolls, and painted on the back of the buses!

And when we lived in Lincolnshire, from 1988, our number for a while was Risegate 254.

When I was a kid at Bilborough not many people had phones and there was always a queue for the one at the bottom of Graylands Road. How would modern teenagers deal with that?

And rob it if it was coin operated. I used to own a trim phone with its distinct ringing tone. Trouble was the local sparrows and Black birds used to imitate the sound especially if we were out in the garden in summer. Annoying to keep dashing indoors to answer the phone when it wasn't ringing.