why would you want to get to LONDON OR MANCHESTER 20 mins faster

just relax and enjoy the ride,but no they gonna spend billions disrupting the countryside and peoples lives.

How does it help business?please can someone tell me.

HS2 will only get you to Toton when coming from London then you still have to get another train or the tram? for another 15 mins or so journey

So will it be any quicker in real terms?

Be OK if you live in Long Eaton. ;)

Come on. You ought to know by now. Like a lot of expensive political projects, HS2 will never be for the benefit of ordinary people or businesses. It will be to make some influential politicians a darn sight richer than they already are.

• Upvote 1

RE #3 - I hear what you are saying - but even if HS2 landed you at Nottingham Midland (or better still Victoria!) over 90% of people would still have a 15-20 minute journey to reach home/work or wherever. The only advantage would be to those for whom the great new religion of shopping is the be-all and end-all in life.

Politicians who back these projects,and the contractors who build them,are the ones that benefit.

The ordinary people suffer the disruption and expence,and never see any profit.It has been like this for years,and not likely to change.

• Upvote 1

I see nothing wrong with these prestigious projects costing billions...all to the advantage of the common man in the street...after all we all enjoyed our flights on Concorde...Didn't we?

• Upvote 1

There is a row of Railway cottages on the left travelling by train between Beeston and Long Eaton, next to the Rail control?
They are fantastic, should have preservation order on them. One occupied by Roger Lymn, known to members here.
HS2: Long Eaton Victorian railway cottages may be flattened - BBC

Re #13 - they were the station cottages at Trent station. Somebody who lived in one once told my mum that all the occupants were looking forward to the end of steam around 1958 - the washing on the line was permanently grey! When diesels took over they discovered that the fumes impregnated the clothes with an oily texture and smell that was even harder to eliminate.

• Upvote 1

There is a row of Railway cottages on the left travelling by train between Beeston and Long Eaton, next to the Rail control?

They are fantastic, should have preservation order on them. One occupied by Roger Lymn, known to members here.HS2: Long Eaton Victorian railway cottages may be flattened - BBC

Yes I knew Roger Lymn ..... Bass (?) player in Sons of Adam 1965/66.