Fynger, your older brothers must be similar ages to me then,Richard was 5 months older than me ,if he was still around he would now be claiming his state pension,did u or your brothers mate around with him.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had a look at the births and marriages records . Carni is right , there is a marriage in Basford district (which includes Carlton) in 1941 between Arthur J Beckinsale and Maggie Barlow . If you

I didn't know his family. I knew him he was on the same Drama course as me at Clarendon College along with Janet (was it Sewell?), David Dixon, Joanne Allen and others I cannot remember the names of.

Are you researching material Batesy, for a book or article on Richard Beckinsale ?

I didn't know his family. I knew him he was on the same Drama course as me at Clarendon College along with Janet (was it Sewell?), David Dixon, Joanne Allen and others I cannot remember the names of. He was one of the best on the course and a pretty serious actor. You could at that time imagine he would be acting in a company or in Rep , he was very good doing Shakespearean stuff. Anyhow he got into RADA (a difficult thing to achieve) and eventually he surfaced doing the kind of acting we all saw on Telly.

We all did elocution, the tutors at that time believed that if you were going into acting you should have an accent devoid of any region (I think its called Received Pronunciation these days) they suggested that if you had no accent it was easier to learn any accent required in later work - I couldn't quit see the logic of that myself.

He was one of the gang and like us all had a laugh and did the stuff you did in your teens. I seem to recall a girlfriend called Rose or Roseanna and when he was out with her he sometimes got stranded having missed the last bus back to Chilwell. I had a scooter and he knew where to find me and would come to see if I would run him back to Chilwell ; he would buy me half a gallon of petrol from the all night petrol station on Shakespeare Street (opposite the police/fire building).

• Upvote 3

mick all the avenues on the right hand side going down from cavendish rd top to gedling rd was carlton a few of my school friends lived in that area and all had carlton addresses , on the other side was gedling. above top of cavendish rd was mapperly.

from the railway lines near fox and hounds is carlton and carlton hill south churchjust past standill rd towards town is the sneinton border ner were the garage ust to be and the car auctions .that should give people a ruff guide

Richard Beckinsale's Mother Margaret and Father Arthur remained in Carlton throughout their lives, living on Orlando Drive. Both of them ended their days in the Bupa Care home on the site of The Ritz Cinema.

• Upvote 2

Hiya Fynger

Arthur passed away first at the Bupa home. Margaret was a very nice lady and would talk to my friend when she visited the home, she told her that she could see her house on Orlando from the window of her room. You say Richard lived with his parents in Chilwell, it could be that they moved there as a family, and returned to Carlton when the children had flown the nest. I speak to my friend frequently on the phone and I will see what she can add tomorrow.

• Upvote 2

Carni it's so good to see this story unfold,the fact Mrs beckinsale could see her old house from the care home is lovely,I reckon she must be a carlton lady,and proud of it,love to know what number Orlando drive they lived at,I think her maiden name was Barlow,anyone know her family ?

Batesy

Thank you for your interest, I Believe Margarets maiden name was Barlow. The only way I know this, is because of the long chats Margaret and my friend had. She also knew my fathers side of the family as they were all old Carlton families, she knew quite a few of my aunts and uncles. I don't know the house number on Orlando, but I will ask tomorrow. I don't know If I knew any of the Beckinsale family when I was young and before they were famous, if so ,I am sorry to say I have forgotten, I did live very near Orlando, on Hardy's Drive, so close but so far!

• Upvote 1

Carni, Like your dad's side of the family were carlton folk,so we're my dad's family.I was born in carlton in 1947,and my dad and his sister's we're born there,and so was my grandad.so we had strong family ties there,I certainly didn't know the beckinsales but it's nice to think,when he was screaming in his pram,I was just up the road screaming in mine

• Upvote 1

As far as I can see, Richard did live and go to school at Chilwell. My friend who knew Margaret from her visits to Willow Brook, is going to find out if she moved into the home from Orlando Drive or from Chilwell. The fact that she could see her old house from her room thrilled her. I personally didn't know the family at all, but it seems he was born in Carlton and at what age the family moved to Chilwell I don't know. My friend will let me know as she is intrigued as well! :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks carni ,wonder if Richards mum was a carlton girl,and wether she has surviving brothers or sister's,or even maybe Richards father Arthur may have surviving family in the area,although he had a Burmese parent. Just a coincidence but Richards middle name was Arthur after his father,just so happens mine is has well after my father

if margaret was a caltom born family she would have gone to carlton girls school unless she was bused out of the area no other senior schools in the area untill the 50s my mum whent to carlton girls school classes were much larger in the early years perhaps 40ty to 50 girls in the class there were 14 classrooms pluss two cookery rooms and a large hall /gym in the maim school pluss two prefabs but i dont think they were built to the forties when i was there wehad a new assembly hall/dinning room this also had a large stage and dressing room this i think was built late 50s early 60s.

Been wracking my brain over this and can only assume that it was maybe Richards parents lived on Orlando drive, and the grandaughter Kate maybe used to stay over ?

My work colleague at the time lived about half way up on the right (going up from Burton road) in one of the larger houses. His name was Chris Hartop, he later also emigrated to oz like me, and I did meet him a few times here in oz. when we lived in Melbourne.

We were both BT tech's so used to call round to his place for a cuppa during the work day as our main working area was Carlton/ Gedling.

As far as I can remember but I may be wrong it was the late 70's early 80's.

• Upvote 1

It's funny banjo48 fate happens differently to different people,apparently my mum and dad were a week away from moving to Australia on the 10 pound passage scheme,they were all packed to go,when my dad bumped into an old mate of his who had all ready been out there,but had come back because his wife was home sick,my mum and dad had second thoughts and and never went,not long after that I was born (good old winter of 47 ),otherwise I would have been an ausie,not a limey.As for the beckinsales I'm sure someone has the answer out there

Just had a look at the births and marriages records .

Carni is right , there is a marriage in Basford district (which includes Carlton) in 1941 between Arthur J Beckinsale and Maggie Barlow .

If you search for children born Nottingham with surname of Beckinsale , with mothers maiden name Barlow you get :

Margaret W born 1942 (Basford District)

Judith A born 1945 (Nottingham)

Strangely can't initially see any mention of a birth for Richard A Beckinsale , though the picture of the plaque says he was born 1947 .

There are two marriages for Richard A Beckinsale . The first is to a Margaret Bradley in Basford district in 1966 .

The second is to the actress Judith Loe in 1977 at Richmond On Thames .

• Upvote 4

DavidW,

Thank you for the information you have found. I had a little delve and this is what I found. Richard had daughter Samantha with first wife Margaret Bradley,and Kate with second wife Judy Loe. I had a look on Ancestry.com and I found in the Births.

Richard A Beckinsale

Mother M N Barlow

Date of reg J/A/S 1947

Reg district Nottm

Inferred County Rutland Notts

Vol no 3C page 616 or 610 (can't read my own writing) it's 610.

Do you think this is him?

Almost definitely him Carni , don't know why he doesn't show up on Find My Past .

• Upvote 1