Who Would Have Thought..............

My money went in the petrol tank not down the toilet I got around a bit.

Tried the pub thing but got in too many fights.

So, after all that, we have established a single was 6/6 in 1962 and 6/8 in 1965 but maybe cheaper or dearer depending where and when you bought it and a tin of Chatka crab (a favourite in our house on a Sunday evening) was on a parity in price...

BUT.................What was the price of a gallon of Shellmex in 1962???????????????????

• Upvote 1

Stan, was that ordinary petrol? Shellmex would have been 1-2 pence cheaper because it was a low octane, commercial grade petrol.

Wasn't the Hemlockstone that you drank at?????

The price wars started by Jet with the big companies certainly provided some cheap motoring.

Four bob a gallon, pooh bear, was reminiscent of the 50s.

The price wars actually brought a reduction in the price of petrol in 1963 before prices commenced to skyrocket in 64.

My father got around the low prices of Jet further down Castle Boulevard by giving tokens for each gallon purchased and when you had 100 tokens, you got a free Grease and Springs and everything checked....plus the exemplary forecourt service by the dedicated attendants who cleaned your windscreen, checked your oil and water and even your tyres every time that you rolled onto the forecourt of the Castle Rock Shell Garage..... slywink

I left school at 15 in '59...passed my test shortly after 17th birthday and bought first car. I remember paying that at Jet station so figure gotta be '62.

So far from the sixties 6/6 keeps cropping up,we could have a gallon of petrol 6/6,single record 6/6,tin chatka crab 6/6= 19/6,all that for under £1 ya know!

The info below is from a book I have called Wrinklie's Miscellany

Petrol Prices For Gallon Since 1896
1896 9d
1909 1s 1 ½ d
1914 1s 8d
1918 3s 7 ½ d
1928 1s 2 ½ d
1929 1s 7d
1945 2s
1956 5s 4d
1963 4s 9d
1966 5s 5d

Trevor S, on 27 Apr 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

"I left school at 15 in '59...passed my test shortly after 17th birthday and bought first car. I remember paying that at Jet station so figure gotta be '62."

You misinterpret what I wrote, pooh bear. I was simply stating that the price you paid in 62 was reminiscent of the 50s - inferring that Jets' low prices, courtesy of their price wars, was comparable to the purchase cost of fuel at the big conglomerates outlets a few years earlier.

In 61-62, the price of fuel apparently remained constant and two reputable sources (The Automobile Association (AA) Motoring Trust and the Institute of Petroleum (IP)advises that petrol prices for Super was four and tenpence ha'penny a gallon and Standard was four and fivepence a gallon.

Shellmex, a lower octane again and classified as a commercial petrol would have been 1-2 pence less than the Standard pricing.

Of course, go to the JET outlets and get petrol 2-3 pence cheaper again.

1964 saw the start of petrol price rises with an increase of 5 pence a gallon that year.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CD0QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theaa.com%2Fpublic_affairs%2Freports%2FPetrol_Prices_1896_todate_gallons.pdf&ei=UX5dU_WJI8nIkQX6x4CYDA&usg=AFQjCNEg_gc_w7SQGNOEsnHr7uZL_r9nFQ