DO YOU keep things from the past that really you should bin,but for sentimental reasons just can"t?

ive got half a "Tea set" that i always thought might be half valuable,that came to me via my mother when she passed away in 94",her sister had the other half,and its now with my cousin,they always argued about who was entitled to the whole set.

Anyway i finally had it valued,and its worth about £30.LOL

• Upvote 2

I have, and still use, a tea cosy that my mum made about 40 years ago! It could use a good wash, but I'm afraid it would fall apart. I think Mary would be happy to see it go, but I can't bear to throw it out!

• Upvote 2

I have hundreds of those vacuum tubes, (valves) many are brand spanking new, some are worth many times what their original cost was... Others are worthless as they were TV timebase tubes and high voltage rectifiers...

It's amazing how many are so sought after these days by "audiophiles"..

• Upvote 1

I WOULD LOVE,to watch a room full of "audiophiles" sorting thru their "valves",timebase tubes,and "high voltage rectifiers" :laugh:

• Upvote 2

Re vintage teasets, benjamin1945, if you did want to sell them they are actually well sort after split up as "trios", ie cup, saucer and side plate, with other pieces sold separately. This is because the trend at the moment is to have mismatched vintage tea sets. They sell well on ebay.

when i say i had them valued,i just looked on "wiki" and found something very similar,they are actually very nice,they are "indian summer" and on each piece it says,"made for bfb by "ROYAL TUDOR ENGLAND".....I could"nt part with em i think Mam would haunt me,

#8 :)

• Upvote 2

I think collectibles are inevitable as we go through life. Collectibles are quite different to 'collections' which can get obsessive and out of hand.

I have a number of collectibles that mean much to me either due to being handed down or relate to places I have visited.

If you go on chinasearch and put in the make they will probably come up with the actual pieces, and no I don't blame you not wanting to part with them, just thought I would include the info. My mum has cupboards of china of her own and from her mother and aunt and I have a feeling I know where they will be going next! I will probably be hiring them out for weddings there is such a large selection!!

• Upvote 1

i have a few things that belong to my husbands family i have a much used sewing box on legs with a sliding top i use it a lot for all my sewing stuffi used to cross stich a lot and have loads of embroidery silks and needles as well as chrochet hooks ectin it its all lined in silk material and a lift out tray for neadles pins tape ect i dont know if its worth anything but i will never get rid of it anyway . also have a teapot and stand black with hand painted flowers on it it is at least 100 years old but carnt find any marks on it anywere as to who produced it also have a lovely tea cady lead lined with a carved cork decorationon it and amosaic patern all the way round it even if its not worth anything i love it as an object they are on the selfs in my dining room

• Upvote 1

My mum's posh cutlery set. I'm like her. I like to have everything just right at Sunday dinner, and those knives & forks etc always come out.

i have a few things that belong to my husbands family i have a much used sewing box on legs with a sliding top i use it a lot for all my sewing stuffi used to cross stich a lot and have loads of embroidery silks and needles as well as chrochet hooks ectin it its all lined in silk material and a lift out tray for neadles pins tape ect i dont know if its worth anything but i will never get rid of it anyway . also have a teapot and stand black with hand painted flowers on it it is at least 100 years old but carnt find any marks on it anywere as to who produced it also have a lovely tea cady lead lined with a carved cork decorationon it and amosaic patern all the way round it even if its not worth anything i love it as an object they are on the selfs in my dining room

I've forgotten how to crochet! Would love to learn again, used to find it very relaxing! Cross stitch looks lovely too!

I didn't remove them. got them in a car boot sale for a few pence.

I still have a working Dansette record player with a thermionic valve amplifier.

mellisaas you liveradford area have you ever heard of skills exchanged presently based tenyson hall on forest rd join that i and others will get you back into crochet and in exchange you can plait or put my hair in a bun or just pm me and i will arrange a meet up with you to discus a mutual exchange.

I have a couple of acorn tubes, spares for my GDO... They are small vacuum tubes, but not the smallest ever manufactured. I often wonder how small they would have got had not semi conductors appeared in the 1950's..

I still have my dads old bricklaying tools including his wooden Stanley 4' spirit level, the tools are not much good but I just cannot part with them, albeit they are currently in storage.

The actual trowels are quite worn but I know what my dad built with them before he passed around 45 years ago. No monetary value whatsoever just old memories.

I have a t-shirt from 1970, black with a large embossed warner brothers 'roadrunner'on the front.

Used to wear it when I was djing at the slipper. When I was 36 chest and 28 waist!

Now falling apart, full of holes!

Mid 70s I had to rescue it from the bin (ex wife) and again recently! (SWMBO).

Women Tch!

Now safe in my shed.

I still have all my old Whit spanners, open ended and box, plus a full set of whit sockets that were used for many years on two continents to earn my living... I doubt they will ever be used again as nearly every nut and bolt I undo or tighten is either Metric, or United National sizes. (American course or fine)

SWMBO has her dad's sea chest from the 1920s. He made it as an apprentice shipwright.

• Upvote 1