Don't know if Nottingham are going to or have installed hire cyles similar to the "Boris bikes" in London, we have them in Lincoln where you can get a credit type card from the council and put money on it like a prepaid card, use this to get a cycle from the bike racks located around the place ride to where you need to get to in the city or suburbs , put the bike in the bike rack nearest to your destination and the money is deducted from the card, good idea in principal and for the majority of users, but my concern is these cycles being hired by people who are not used to cycling on the roads or cycling in general (visitors/holiday makers),they are on roads that are strange to them,among traffic which can be quite daunting or liable to panic in some situations and cause injury to themselves or other road or footpath users,what are your thoughts on these cycles if any and would you use them if they were available?

Rog

I think Nottingham has got rental bikes around the city now. I've hired them in Miami Beach a few times, over there they're called Deco Bikes and there are racks everywhere and as you say Rog, a debit or credit card is used to pay. Bilboro-lad has a point regarding helmets though. In Florida and maybe throughout the States it's not the law to wear a helmet even on a motorcycle so it never even crossed our minds about wearing a cycle helmet, mind you I have usually ridden on the pavement !!

Thanks for that Rog, I can get in a bit of advertising as I'm sitting behind the counter of our hire centre today. It's a very fine Sunday morning but so far I've had no takers, here's a link to our website:-

www.trailnet.org.uk/locations/great-notley-discovery-centre

There's a direct link from here to the Flitch Way, the old GER railway route from Braintree to Bishops Stortford, now converted to a cycle trail, I cycled along part of it on my way into work this morning, it's a very pleasant trip and the beautifully restored local station at Rayne has just gained a Mk2 railway carriage on a section of track which is being turned into a museum. The Tour de France is coming past here and running alongside Rayne Station in July, I know it's going to be a busy day for us.

Incidentally, last Tuesday I had the misfortune of getting caught up in the Tube strike, looking at the state of the Underground, the jammed roads and the packed buses, I decided to walk from St Pancras to Liverpool Street, about 3 miles in 40 minutes. On the way I noticed quite a few people about riding 'Boris Bikes', wobbling all over the road, trying to dodge in and out of traffic, not looking at where they were going and inevitably, talking on their mobile phones, I would like to know how many ended up in hospital that day, or worse.

Does the law require you to wear a helmet to ride a bike in this country?

No it doesn't, perhaps it should though, what do people think.

Personally after 55 years of cycling I don't wear one for lot's of reasons. For a start I'm a stubborn old git, then I probably do 99% of my cycle trips on cycle only routes, of which Braintree has an abundance. I also can't stand the design of them, they look absolutely naff, when I was required to wear a helmet for insurance reasons during my time as a Scout Leader I used to wear either a canoeing or climbing helmet, far more comfortable, more protective down the side of the head and don't look so idiotic, who the hell designed those cycle things in the first place, Vivienne Westwood?

• Upvote 1

Since I asked the question I have Googled the subject. It seems that there are fors and againsts making it a legal requirement. Firbeck made the point and I agree, the style of hats makes me want to pee with laughter every time I see one.

The reason I have latched on to this topic is that I am considering taking on an Industrial Unit, and the van will be left there instead of being stuck in front of my kitchen window! The unit is a steady 18 mins walk from home and unusually for Eastwood area it is a pretty well flat route. It lends itself to being cycled although part of the route I walk on is probably a little rough for cycling. I really don't want to be wearing one of those silly hats!

I have a bike sited that I am considering buying. It is a Dutch town bike. I do not intend taking up cycling for the sake of it. It will be a device to get from A to B

And thank heavens for spell checkers - I didn't spell clycling correctly once!

• Upvote 1

Cycle helmets are worn by choice at the moment, I wear one when I'm on my road bike but not on the trike, I notice a couple of posts state "I don't wear one because my cycle route is mainly off road or on cycle paths", this is worrying because if you do happen to fall off the bike you can cause just as much damage to your head whether you fall on cycle tracks or roads,. good to hear you are into your cycling Pete and trying to encourage others to use cycles,I am still grounded at the moment but there seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel so the bikes or trike could be out soon,

Getting back to the helmet debate I know I might look a bit of a muffin when wearing mine but I'd look a bigger muffin if I was confined to a wheel chair or worse through something that could have been prevented by wearing my helmet,

Rog

We have never worn Cycle Helmets in all the years we have had the hobby. But the last few years have got increasingly worried about the dangers. We have witnessed some dangerous situations and also the attitude of some people. Thankfully not the majority. We mainly cycle off the roads, but to get to our old railway tracks and Canals we have to be on the road sometimes. The helmet style has been one of the reasons we have never had one (And budget), but sensibility has now got us past that, and spurred on by the ALDI cycle gear sale today, we have been out and purchased a helmet and coat for Chris. I couldn't find one to fit me, so that is my aim this week, to get a Helmet and Coat. I totally agree that as much damage can be done if you come of your bike on grass, gravel, mud or tarmac.

PS even nettles!!

SO there you are pianoman and firbeck,get your helmets on,you might look a pair of "pillocks" but you will be safer!

. I couldn't find one to fit me, so that is my aim this week, to get a Helmet and Coat.

I don't think I would have admitted that I couldn't get a cycle helmet big enough to fit ! :laughing:

Pleased to see that you are OK again by the way

• Upvote 1

#8 Pianoman

I used to have a Dutch bike, which I bought oddly enough when I was living in The Hague. It was one of the best bikes I have ever had, the cycle lock on it , though basic was brilliant and saved having to carry around chains and locks. So many had bikes there that the was very little, if any, bike crime. Sadly I had to part with it eventually, but it was coming up to 30 years old, and had given me good service, it even had a child seat attached to it at one stage, so we could all go cycling together. I now have a mountain bike for off-roading (I find these very uncomfortable, but practical over rough terrain) and a couple of years ago treated myself to a good old sit "up and beg" complete "basket, a bell that rings and things that make it look good" It's great for taking me to the next village where the shops are.

I must admit I don't wear a cycle helmet, though perversely I was always strict with the children and made sure they wore theirs, my youngest used to wear her riding hat as a cycle helmet. She felt it had more street cred!

You are awful Pianoman...but I like you. Who said that then?

Darkazana, It sounds as if your cycle rides are a lot more robust than ours, we are just 12milers! these days. We used to go between 20/30 miles but can't manage it any more sadly.

I have never knowingly seen a Dutch bike in the flesh. The one I am looking at 'looks' right. My view on it is that the Dutch have so many bikes I assume that they must know how to make them. This one is around 25 years old (I don't care about that), very sit up and beg and does have a similar simple lock. Drum brakes front and rear and 3 speed Sturmey Archer.

Los Carni, I'm a fair weather cyclist, and like more gentle cycling - even on the mountain bike, though I did do a fair bit round Derbyshire, mainly the Tissington Trail, with the youth club. I was always the straggler at the back, my excuse being I'm encouraging the stragglers!!! Well that would have been me then!! The one which springs to mind would be the day it did everything except snow. We had rain, hail, thunder and lightening and were quite literally soaked through to the skin when we got back to the bus.

Another time we cycled around Lady Bower Reservoir, but nowadays its less strenuous exercise. At the moment we are working right next to the Trans Pennine Trail, and are home picking our bikes up to take back on Wednesday, so I'm looking forward to a bit more exploring on the sunny days.

12 miles sounds like a good ride to me. While we were in Scarborough a couple of years we cycled part of the Cinder Track, from Scarborough to Whitby, as far as the Hayburn Wyke, (though we never got to see the Wyke itself,) on a regular basis, and also around Rutland Water to the Normanton Chapel, when we used to take the caravan to Greetham for a weekend, both of which were about 12 miles there and back.

A few years back, we rode round the Rutland Water and the Peninsular, thoroughly enjoyed it. The Normanton Chapel ladies provided some delicious cakes for a small fee. If all goes well we are planning to do it again this summer. We also enjoyed Manifold Valley and Carsington Water, and in Wales Lake Vyrnwy. Some where on site there is a topic with lists of closed Rail lines across the country, that have been turned into nature trails. I meant to take note of it, but forgot! I hope I can find it again, there looked some interesting routes.

Yes, Carni I saw that post, the Cinder Track in Scarborough is one of the closed railway lines. It can be a bit bumpy in places too.

Bilborolad,

Well done, I think you put us to shame. I don't know the place you are talking about, but I know for sure it's way out of our limits. It sounds pretty tough! :huh:

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...