Ayup folks! Thought I'd post about my goings on today as I have a query! I have decided to start volunteering for APAS, a charity that works with people who suffer from alcohol abuse and gambling problems. (Good experience for me and I'm doing a good deed, everybody's a winner!)

It is situated on Park Row but I believe that it is also linked with the Old General Hospital which is an NHS building. My Mum also works at this hospital, Ropewalk House I believe it's now called, and today, she showed me around the building and down to the basement, even to where the old morgue used to be in the Old General Hospital. Wish I'd have taken some photos now but I didn't get chance, it was ever so eerie mind!!

Anyone have any information/photos of the Old General Hospital?! Or good/bad experiences in volunteering?

Hope all are well!

• Upvote 4

Hi Melissa I do voluntary work for The Lenton Forum. The project I am working on is helping to create a community garden behind the library on Lenton Boulevard which will benefit a lot of people who live in the area including local residents, schoolchildren and users of the library.

I love the work and get great satisfaction from helping others.

Good luck in your venture.

• Upvote 2

Brilliant. Is that connected to the The Lenton Times magazine/newspaper st all? A community garden sounds lovely! I actually attend Lenton library on occasion as it's only a 10 min walk from and didn't realise this project was going on.

Thanks Dave!

• Upvote 1

I used to do Meals on Wheels years ago and loved it (only stopped because we moved away from the area). The old house-bound folk loved having a visit, especially when I arrived with their lunch! I still think about one particular old lady often. She was totally blind and had been since she was young. I would knock on her door and then go to the window to watch her get off the sofa and work her way around the room to reach the door to unlock and let me in. As I walked in she would always say that her plate was in the oven. The oven was never on and the plate was always stone cold but never mind! I had to get her seated at the table and dish out her meal and tell her what she'd got for her lunch that day. One day I arrived, knocked on the door and went to look in at the window. She was laid out on the sofa and not moving. I was a bit scared to be honest. I went to her neighbour and the man had a key and went in to check on her, with me being a coward and hanging back a bit! It seems she was just having a good old nap, lol.

• Upvote 5

Awwh! God bless them! Sounds like a wonderful thing to do to help people out, especially when they can't help themselves. I fear I'd be too 'soft' to do anything like that though as I'd probably end up crying if I saw an old blind lady struggling around! I'm sure you gained a lot of satisfaction from doing it though!

Many years ago I used to volunteer at NHR (Nottingham Hospitals Radio) and it was very rewarding. Part of the things we did was to go round the wards at the hospital to see the patients as well as broadcasting to them.

• Upvote 2

I used to volunteer up at Porchester Road Hospital many, many years ago it was enjoyable.

I moved from Nottingham in the early 70s and volunteered wherever I lived usually supporting those organisations that provide for people with either disabilities or mental health problems.It is a very good thing to do IF you have time!

Good Luck

• Upvote 2

My wife volunteers to work in a charity shop for 'Break', which offers holidays for carers. The biggest surprise / shock is the amount of shoplifting that goes on there.

• Upvote 1

hi all i have also done voluntary work from my early teens and always find it very rewarding in fact when we lived in lenton i did a lot of voluntary work at lentonton community centre in its early days over 60s mums and todlers playscemein fact befor lenton times it was lenton listner it used to come out every 3 months but not in the form it is today usually a 2 or3 a4 paged news lettermarie yuel used to type it up and it would be transfered onto a machine that was a drum type thing with a handle to be turned to ro reproduce it carnt remember its name then about 4 of us went round the area putting them through the doors all round lentonused to take us about 2 weeks to reproduce it andtake it out. many happy times at lenton community centre my youngest son was only a baby then now 34 years oldi think i might even have an old copy of one of these news letters somewere among my playscheme stuff

• Upvote 1

good luck mellisa

well better get up nowas got to go to the drs again this after noon still having problems with my throat.

• Upvote 1

hi all i have also done voluntary work from my early teens and always find it very rewarding in fact when we lived in lenton i did a lot of voluntary work at lentonton community centre in its early days over 60s mums and todlers playscemein fact befor lenton times it was lenton listner it used to come out every 3 months but not in the form it is today usually a 2 or3 a4 paged news lettermarie yuel used to type it up and it would be transfered onto a machine that was a drum type thing with a handle to be turned to ro reproduce it carnt remember its name then about 4 of us went round the area putting them through the doors all round lentonused to take us about 2 weeks to reproduce it andtake it out. many happy times at lenton community centre my youngest son was only a baby then now 34 years oldi think i might even have an old copy of one of these news letters somewere among my playscheme stuff

Hi Babs , The machine you are on about sounds like a Getstetner 120 copier which had a series of pegs along the top that you put the patten on then smoothed the thing to be copied onto the drum pumped in the ink and attached the handle then away you go.

possibly dave just remember turning that handle over and over again we used to keep it in one of the cuboards down in the big hall.. loved my voluntaring down at lenton community centre