Everytime I get my pension I feel a little guilty .I told my wife & she says the same ,She says she feels like a leach so much that she just gave away 2 years of hers just because she didn't want to claim it.

It did get a bit easier when she went out and bought new furniture.

Now I just have to get her to claim her's from the Usa, she is already 3 years behind. No back pay here

Its funny but all our lives nobody has given us anything ,Now we know what someone on welfare feels like :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

I don't feel weird, I paid into the system, and the last few years I worked in the UK I was living at work and earning a lot, which meant my deductions were higher..I don't get full pension, but what I do get helps us big time.

I wonder how we Ex Pats will go on if the EEC forces the UK to raise it's pensions to a living pension???

I feel no guilt about accepting my pension. I just hope I live long enough to get it all back! ;)

• Upvote 1

Well I've almost had two years of it, it also reflects the Dollars value each month too....

I understand I'm also eligible for the US SS too, but don't know if it will be worth applying for, as they deduct any income from it, AKA my UK pension...

They only deduct if you earn over $20,000/year.

I am in the other boat - I don't claim my U.K. pension - it is 5p/week!

Would they pay 5 p a week??? I thought there was a minimum?

I'll have to look into the SS side then, as the wife was told by SS I am eligible for approx 50% of what she gets, which would help us agreat deal.

The good news is that should you return to the UK, you would get what you would be entitled-to.

My father in law moved to Canada just over 30 years ago, and when he was 65 started to get the UK pension. It was frozen to quite a low level.

When he came back three years ago, it was restored to the level he would have got had he stayed here. He's now in the situation where he gets two old age pensions, one from the UK and one from Canada. Combined, they're nearly enough to cover his care home fees.

As he worked for over 30 years in the UK, then another 30 years in Canada, I don't see any problem with him getting them both.

• Upvote 3

I cannot see me returning to the UK, I'm here until my last breath..

• Upvote 1

Here in Oz (where I have worked and paid my dues for almost 20 years) I get the pension now I am 65, I also get a part pension from the UK which is deemed here to reduce my Aussie pension, so I am about 10% better off pension wise than an Aussie.

But, like Canada my UK pension is frozen at the rate of issue, which is crazy really when most other ex pat countries get the small cost of living yearly increase.

I dont feel guilty drawing my English pension as I paid enough into it for the first part of my working life and my wife too, who always worked while both in the uk and Oz.

Mind now our stupid government are trying to raise the pension age to 70, god help the oldies in future, as most of us are well and truely stuffed by 65 ! our bodies anyway, and there are very minimal jobs out there for the young, let alone us old farts.

The only safety net will be to go on unemployment benfits, which are less than the pension and be forced to look for work until reaching the retirement age,

Considering how the public purse is ripped off, both by MPs, benefit fraudsters and many others, I have no qualms whatsoever about receiving a pension.

Waited until 66 to claim SSI that's the full pension age you get more but loose all that you could have claimed, It worked out to be $80 per month so I will be 105 before I break even already behind $36,000

On the other hand I can earn a lot more without penalty up to $60,000....................... 62-65 you can only earn $12,000.

Spouse gets 50% of the highest earner no more no less

Claim online SSI.gov.