One of the things I love to see is a beautiful sky. I've seen many in my travels of different places in the world and on Wednesday evening there was one over Nottingham. Here is a few photos from the Nottingham Post.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/pictures/Rainbow-beautiful-sunset-Nottingham/pictures-21651962-detail/pictures.html#4

• Upvote 1

Lovely. There were some postings of the rainbow on facebook too on Wednesday, and my daughter put a similar one on from Scampton.

Last year driving down the A1 I watched as one formed, followed it for miles, at one point seeming to end in a field alongside the car, then saw it fade again, it was spectacular.

Many years ago I had the very unusual experience of driving through one, it was weird. It, was very close then seemed to disappear, the next minute a flash of the spectrum just flowed over the car. Must have been to do with the angle of the sun and the rain etc all coming together at that particular spot.

• Upvote 1

darkazana (#2), after reading your comments it made me realise that you should always have a spade in your car. You saw the end of the rainbow in a field off the A1 and you just drove away from the pot of gold, lol. :biggrin:

I was visiting a friend on Wednesday evening and took this photo.

SkyAtNight16-07-14_zpsc2f804a2.jpg

• Upvote 3

While we were at Scarborough a couple of years ago there was a competition among the site staff to see who could get the best sunset and night sky photos during the season, as we had some good views from the back packers field. I'll have to check them out and see what I have.

No, but I've just had to tie up my lupins, delphiniums and hollyhocks. Several beyond saving though.

Thunder and Lightening and Torrential rain over W-ton all day, until about 5.30pm and then a Beautiful evening, with Blue Skies and White Clouds. Still sitting with the Patio Doors wide open. Hope you are getting some of the same in Nottingham or where ever you are at this time. :biggrin::biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Seem to have missed the lightning, but home for the evening as had a diamond anniversary to attend at Trent Bridge Cricket Ground. As we left our house it was torrential, "can't see a foot (or hand) in front" type rain until we hit the A46 towards Nottingham, then it started to clear, and yes as we got to our destination it was blue skies. We had a lovely meal at the side of the Cricket Ground, then on the way back home about a mile out of Nottingham it was raining again. It was like we had been on an island all night.

• Upvote 1

A thunderbolt hit a pole just outside my house at 5.20pm yesterday...sounded like a howitzer going off with a huge flash.I jumped,my visitors jumped,as did the parrots and dogs.It's wiped out all the BT phone lines in the road...for the first time I was glad to be on Virgin.