I was noticing on Milton Street along with the old station hotel and clock tower the buildings numbered 50 to 56 are the only other buildings that seem to have survived the site clearance for the building of the Victoria Shopping Centre.

Today these buildings are the Yorkshire Building Society and a Ladbrokes, does anyone know the reason why these buildings survived whilst so many other buildings on Milton Street and Lower Parliament Street where demolished and cleared to make way for the Victoria Shopping Centre.

They aren't listed and it just seems strange how they are the only buildings to have survived when so many buildings were cleared away for the construction of the Victoria Shopping Centre.

The Old Maps site has a map from the late 1960s which shows the road when a lot of the old buildings had been demolished, but before Vic Centre was built....and the Yorkshire Building Society building is clearly still there.

Resolution is rough but it's the best I can get. There appear to be a few places shown which did eventually get demolished - for instance, the Welbeck Hotel is still marked here.

milt.jpg

According to my 1967 directory

50 Abbey National Building Society

52 Inland Revinue

54 City of Nottingham Information Centre

56 Bradford Permanent Building Society.

58 Victoria Station Hotel.

In by 1972 directory there is no listing for numbers 50/52/54/56

I was at the Hilton hotel this morning, so I had a look at these buildings.

The frontage is stone cladding, but the sides are brick, it is not the same brick as the hotel, it is a lot darker. The brickwork looks old, possibly pre war, the building also has large decorative cast iron downpipes, and the building that is Ladbrokes has old steel framed windows.

It looks like the buildings have been extended upwards at some time.

• 3 years later...

Yes it was Ian, next door to Marsdens which was on the right hand side looking from Trinity Square, though I reckon it was demolished before our Ben`s time, shame really because it would have been right up his street as it also boasted a cafe and ballroom.

Just past, going towards Clumber Street, known then as Cow Lane, was the Robin Hood and Little John Inn which gave way to The Welbeck.

• Like 1