This year's first batch of cider has fermented out at 6.2%ABV. Went up the railway line yesterday and fetched back two more binfulls of apples for the next batch.

• Upvote 4

Done a lot of wine over the past few years - Apple, Blackberry, Elderberry, Plum, Rhubarb, Pineapple etc. My best was Blackberry, Elderberry and Rhubartb. Stocks are more or less used up so must make some more.

• Upvote 2

My brother-in-law has just been over from Canada. He goes to some sort of wine-making place in Victoria and makes wine to collect after about 3 months. The reason he does that is because he's really mean and he admits it!! He just couldn't believe the low cost of wine here in Lidls, and it's pretty drinkable too!!

• Upvote 1

Lidls wine is good quality and a reasonable price. It put me to sleep last night. !

• Upvote 1

Maybe we had the same wine Lizzie. LOL

• Upvote 1

Not keen co cider. Reminds me of the time I was in St Ives and one of the sea front pubs sold Merrydown on draught.

We'ed had some beers and one of my mates went on Merrydown.

He didn't make it it to the camping site that night. He tried to drive there, stopped in a lay bye for a pee, fell over the wall.

He awoke at 6 in the morning, car engine running and lights on. He'd fell flat on his face and was covered in sick, pi55 and cow muck.

Great fun!

• Upvote 2

Wasn't there a Beer and Wine Festival in Notts this week ?

My brother went last year and said that he really enjoyed it.

Not just for the sake of sampling some great beer, but they had lots of other things going on as well.

He was going to go this year, but now the tickets have to be bought online and one has to book ahead.

In typical local style they've taken something that proved to be popular and successful and managed to muck it up !

• Upvote 1

I assume it's because they had to invoke some sort of crowd control or monitoring system.

It had become too popular and over the years had suffered from massive over crowding. Shame really.

Just made 6 gal cider in the garage. OG 1052.so potential for 6.5%. Used cider apples brought home from France. Hard work using home made bucket pulper and 4 gal press. Still got a load of mixed apples for another 6 gal. Making cider on this small scale is hard work compared to using my farm set up in France. Over there 3 of us made 80 gal in a day last year and 2 years ago a team of 5 of us made 150 gal in a day. I have only been able to make 3 gaL a day here because I had to chop this batch of windfall apples by hand prior to bucket pulping. I am hoping that this batch will be of exhibition quality though, so may have been worth the effort.

A friends donkey likes the pressed pulp pancakes :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Barclaycon: There is an international beer festivall being held in Wetherspoons throughout the country beginning on 17th of this month.

My Cider apple press. Only small but efficient:

IMG_1438.JPG?gl=GB

IMG_1435.JPG?gl=GB

The apple juice being collected in a bucket:

IMG_1436.JPG?gl=GB

The pressings after being squeezed:

IMG_1437.JPG?gl=GB

• Upvote 2

PeverilPeveril: Can you post a photo of your press please?

Not attempted to post pics yet - must swat up and get posting. I will be pleased to email you with pics if you like.

The home made press is made from a scrap piece of furniture and 4 x M20 studding. It can press a cubic foot of pulp. Works a treat. The French press weighs 2.6 tonnes and can handle a cu metre of pulp.

ps - I have fly fished on Loch Watten....

I am ploughing through a poor batch of my own grain brew just now. I harvested some of my hops a wee bit early and they have given a really bitter taste to the beer. Still: waste not, want not, eh?!

:)

Mercurydancer #17: The answer is simple.....make several batches in quick succession and you will be able to stock up before it is all gone.

Where do you get your malt? I get mine direct from a Maltings. The lads bag-up 20Kg bags for me when I need them. The money goes into their pockets so I cannot openly disclose the source.

:)

Heath-Robinson eat yer heart out; here is my grain mill, made from bits of odd pipework and an old plant pot.

IMG_1450.JPG?gl=GB

• Upvote 2

i usually get a good result from my mash and only sparge a couple of pans of hot water. I pour it directly onot the mash and let it run off through the pack.

Stocked up with Lidls Australian Shiraz today £3.99 a bottle . Brilliant.

Have you got yours Lizzie, or would you like to share mine ?

That fine by me Lizzie.