Well, I'll go the foot of our stairs

Well, I WOULD go the foot of our stairs - except that we don't have any. We have just bought a bungalow although we haven't moved in yet. This morning my wife went down there to pull some carpets up in readiness for new ones to be laid next week - and what do you think she found? Go on - guess! Under one of the carpets she found £100 in notes (Well, it would be wouldn't it? - if it was in coins someone would have noticed by now!) It seems they have been there since 1990. So we are going to live in a posh bungalow where folk used £20 notes for underlay!

• Upvote 9

There was a carpet layer who having finished a job found a lump in the middle of what he had laid and discovered his cigarettes were missing. Rather than take up the carpet to retrieve his fags, he flattened the lump with a hammer. Later, he found his fags in a coat pocket. The house owner asked later still if he had seen a hamster, as theirs had disappeared.

• Upvote 3

When my mum took ill (senile dementia) we had to clear out her house on the instructions of social services, she had to go into a residential home and the social wanted the deeds and the house emptied in case they needed to sell it to fund the home fee's later.

My daughter, son and I found around 1700 pounds under various carpets ! and under one was a note telling me where to look in her garden to find another couple of thousand in an old tin she had buried in here greenhouse !

This was as we emptied and cleared the place. We could quite easily have left the old carpets in place.

My old mum had been a widow for over 40 years, lived on the smell of an oily rag and would never spend a penny on herself, she hated banks and didn't trust them. She always told me she was saving for that "rainy day" problem was she didn't realise when the rainy day arrived.

Just be aware if ever stashing money in your house, one day you may get dementia and forget where you put it !

Another adage was that because mum had saved a few bob (she was only just over the allowable minimum to not be able to claim anything, around 15K) she was then expected to pay for her upkeep while in residence at over 500 pounds a week !!!.

Luckily she didn't take well to the home and passed several weeks later, I say luckily because living in those places is not living, it living death !

At least I can take heart that I didn't put her there, the social worker did, and they never got her house.

• Upvote 8

It must be a strange compulsion that is common to many old ladies re squirreling money away in strange places.

I had heard of money being found by relatives in similar circumstances to those described by banjo 48.

Sadly, several years ago, my wife lost her mother (82years of age) to dementia and it was necessary, once diagnosed and rapidly deteriorating; to place her in a nursing home.

At that stage, the father in law had passed away a couple of years earlier and the MIL had done all her own shopping, banking, paying bills etc. and towards the end, had relatives and a carer looking after her requirements.

My wife and I together with the BIL and SIL, once she had gone into the home, cleaned out the house; the family home for over 45 years.

Paper money of various denominations were found in the strangest of places, such as vases, books, empty tins in the pantry and under the sink but the most profitable places were between the various stacks of plates.

It was apparent she had been doing it for some time and it was just single notes between the plates and in books with crumpled notes pushed into the vases and tins.

Not a vast hoard, mainly 5 and 10 dollar notes that amounted to some $450-00 and divided between her 4 children did not buy them a sheep station but, the old dear was a squirrel of the first order!

Polished floors throughout the house so, no carpets to look under.

I can remember my father often saying that my mother used to secretly put money aside for a rainy day but, nobody ever found out where as far as I know!

Myself.......in my wallet and in the bank.

I few years ago I was required by the joke shop to do work experience & the place I was "sent" to was a charity that recycled old furniture.

The first thing I did when a sofa came in was grope under the cushions I never found I fortune but I often found some cash.

Also I buy lots of second hand books & I always go through them in hope ;)

A mate of mine used to work in a scrapyard. Apart from sharing the petrol and diesel they drained, he found quite a small fortune under the seats. But funnily enough, yesterday we found a birthday card to my late dad among a pile of his paperwork. It had never opened and had a tenner in it. Brought a tear to my eye. My best finds were when I first started on the railway in the 70s as a carriage cleaner. Money, all sorts of silly rammel.

Its amazing to think someone can put their money in a safe place and then forget its there.

Mined you its not so amazing I'm always doing it but not with money.

Someone paid me £1200 one weekend a few years back...couldn't bank it...so I hid it. That was it for the next week...

I searched that house from top to bottom over and over...nothing.Could I hell remember where I'd hid it.

Some days later I grabbed a tea towel off the laundry pile and a host of twenties fluttered to the kitchen floor...I did a little jig on the spot.. ;)

• Upvote 1

When we go for a cycle ride along the Tow Paths, we can end up in some very remote spots. People have been robbed, not often, but enough to make me wary. I leave my jewellery at home, consisting of Chain, Wedding Ring, engagement Ring, Eternity Ring and Watch.

I hide them in different places about the house, just in case we get burgled.The Items mentioned are sentimental and mean more than money to me.

Some times when we return, I have searched the house for them and found them, sometimes not untill the next day, just before panic sets in. Now I carry in the saddle bag a piece of paper with a clue to where I have Hidden Them. It Works! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1