Meadows memories

Jack Morhans missus was blonde. Other shops on Bunbury street were Blackburns on the corner of Lamcote st the chippy on Turney st was  Northgates, there were lots more. Do you remember the cafe on Bunbury st? 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a memory I have of visiting my paternal grandparents down Wilford grove and later in the old house we had on Bathley street,there was always a pot of tea on the table with a wooly hat on,a tea

We certainly did, Rog. So much springs to mind. I have very few memories of my maternal grandad but what I have are from around there. We used to walk round the memorial gardens, I remember him once o

We lived on Bathley street near to Bunbury street,number 47 Bayford cottages (sounds nice dunnit) anyway when I were a kid of about 5-6 my uncle worked as a curator at Nottingham castle and as such wo

Don't forget the shop on the corner of Bunbury St and Lamcote St, also general stores and Shippos sales. All three shops virtually on top of each other, you'd wonder how they managed to make a living.

Just remembered Taylor's and the fruit and veg shop on corners of Bunbury/Pyatt St.

I think the fishing tackle shop (Meadows Tackle) was on the oposite corner to the shop in pucture 1 and across Bubury street was the fish and chip shop,they did brilliant fritters and chips

Rog

Yes, the first shop was the tuffy shop, responsible for my early visits to the school dentist. It was later taken over as a general stores by an Asian chap, very novel in the Medders at the time. Fishing tackle shop on the other corner, my street, was Archie Tizleys who took over when Taylors closed.

Second picture was right at the other end of 'Bumbo'.

The Lamcote St shop mentioned can be seen here...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8126/8648950033_e29a2cf905_b.jpg

Archie Tizley had a tackle shop on Kirkwhite st,mate of mine lived next door,he used to sit in his chair at the side of the fire (the ajoining wall to Archies) and he would use a fly swatter to kill the maggots as they came through the wall,another useless bit of info that comes to mind as I think about my time down Meadows

Rog

At the end of our yard (Bayford Cottages) there was a wall with a gate in it coming out onto Bunbury st,that last house,the one on the corner of Bathley st and Bunbury st had an aviary added onto that wall,I remember seeing little zebra finches ,budgies and canaries,facinated by the bright colours (could'nt tell you what colours cause I'm hopelessly colour blind),very exciting in the days when most things seemed to be grey,1950's

Rog

The area where I grew up,Trent bridge,Bathley st was the other side of the tree's towards the top left of the picture,It's not until you see the places in a photo that you realise what a beautiful place nottingham is

DSCF4431_zpsafrqyzw2.jpg

Rog

• Upvote 1

Yes Rog, as kids, we were very, very fortunate really, living near to Trent Bridge. Even though we lived in a terraced house with a only backyard, just round the corner we had the Embankment, the rec, memorial gardens etc where we could play and get up to mischief.

• Upvote 1

Also close to the canal, 2 football grounds, never paid to get into Meadow lane easy to climb the wall. Cricket ground and train station nearby, short walk and you were in city centre. Always something to do.

• Upvote 1

Talking of the "rec" TBI one winter,must have been late 50's there was a lot of snow about and on the rec some bigger kids had built a snow wall and hid behind it waiting for some other kids to come by,when they did a snowball fight took place,I was on the rec with me dad during one of these snowball fights,I was togged up in duffle coat,wooly gloves,welly boots and obligatory balaclava as I walked past the "war zone" I remember getting a sowball square in the face,boy did that hurt,snow filled either side of me balaclava and me tabs,dad took me home saying it's only a bit of fun,I don't remember laughing at the time but looking back I was a right wuss,guess i would be about 5 or 6 years old,just another memory bought on by the mention of the word "rec"

Rog

• Upvote 2

I remember the snowball fights too, Rog. Always plenty snow in the winter in those days. There were some boggers about though. When I was about the same age, a big gel got me and shoved a handful of snow down me underpants.

• Upvote 1

There was a sweet shop at the end of Bathley street/Arkwright steet end, it had two doorways,you entered the shop nearest Arkwright street and came out a couple of doors down Bathley street,thought it worth a mention,anyway going to school (Colligate) each day with me mam and the other kids and mams we had "shoe lace tying races" yes you read it right,simple pleasure when your'e young,we would run a few yards down the road,stop undo the laces and then tie them up as quick as possible,(was I deprived as a kid?) well it passed time on going to school,summer was best because we could go down the rec and play in the sand pits,just like being on holiday where the tide never came in really,all that grass to play on though,brilliant,we dint know we were born did we.never played near the Trent though,always frightened me and I still can't swim! in saying that there was one young lad at school who drown in the Trent,apparently he was playing in that back eddy at the side of the suspension bridge,a sandy beach , and he ventured too far,can't remember his name but it must have been around 1956/57,such a waste of a young life,I feel quite upset now so I will give it a rest

Rog

Sorry about the drowned lad Rog, before my time but I do recall a lad who drowned jumping off the suspension bridge in the 60s. Loads of kids used to do that. Talking of spenny, we were always climbing and we used to try to shin up the cables, arms and legs wrapped round and dangling to see how far we dare go. There was barbed wire wrapped round to prevent this but it had been overpainted so many times the points weren't sharp. 

Remember the paddling pool, I always had a boat of some description, usually a little sailing one, sometimes a battery driven one and was often down there. The number of times I had to get me shoes and socks off and rescue it from the middle. One afternoon after school I went there with mam and my mate David and his mam. Matey was messing about with my boat so I pushed him in, fully clothed. Off home and sent to bed for that one. Then there was the swings, we were always trying to see if we could go over the top bar. I fell off once and came a right cropper once, really cracked my head, spent the rest of the day spewing up. Probably why I've always been a bit loony.

Yes, I also used to go into the Bathley St sweet shop, the side door was the ice cream counter bit. It was later run by the brothers, S&A who had the removals business too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Now you woke up a memory cell TBI,the removals company you speak of would'nt be Squires by any chance would it?

Rog