Virgin flight in trouble

Virgin Atlantic! A landing like that is why you pay for a premium airline. Its knowing that the crew can get you down in dodgy conditions. All safe. In a bad few months for aviation this is a success story. Virgin haves siad that the passengers are going to be looked after "very well" and by that Virgin mean something special.

I adore Virgin Atlantic but they fly to Moscow using another airline, Transaero, which is not a patch on Virgin. The Virgin lounges are far better than most and the business class is astounding. Because Virgin dont often operate their aircraft to Moscow I usually fly with British Airways. Last February I landed in Moscow during a snowstorm aboard a BA 747. When I saw the weather conditions I was amazed that they got it down at all. More than 30 cm of snow in less than an hour. Worth every penny for safety.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 years later...

Yesterday one of our regional airlines Regional Express (REX) SAAB 340 was en-route between Albury and Sydney some 550 km when on descent into Sydney the pilots made a PAN call indicating urgency but not a mayday.

The flight deck radioed ATC

"The prop has just fallen off the aircraft and standby for further instructions," the flight deck coolly reports to air traffic controllers.

"REX768 we've just had uncommanded engine operations and our propeller has just sheared off," a man on the flight deck told controllers.

"We've got normal controls, still be able to fly would require 1-6 right and we should be able to conduct a precautionary landing."

The propeller falling off an uncommanded engine operation ..... Do they have a button that tells the propeller to fall off?

Thankfully the plane went on to land safely with 16 passengers and 3 crew

• Upvote 1

Blimey, and it's a good job nobody was injured on the ground either. They'd think they'd been hit by a UFO or something !

The problem with those SAAB 340s is that they only have one toilet. In this case with 16 people queuing to use it

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Chulla said:

The problem with those SAAB 340s is that they only have one toilet. In this case with 16 people queuing to use it

You think that's bad Chulla, imagine being on a Skill's coach after a pub stop with 59 people queuing for 1 on board carsey !

• Upvote 1

Well remember trips to Forest away matches on the coaches in the 60's and 70's (no on board toilets in those days)

On the way back from the games and after several pub stops we had one driver who after stopping the coach at the side of the road or a lay by regularly waited until all the blokes were lined up along the nearside of the coach having a comfort stop and then drove off.

• Upvote 3

Re #13

Investigators have found the propeller in suburban bushland in the south western suburbs of Sydney not too far from a residential street.

Methinks most likely some kind of metallurgical induced failure or perhaps some forgotten locking tabs or wires.

Area where propeller was found

Propeller found in bushland