About the only thing I disagree on a bit, Robbie, is the euthanasia bit. Don't want to swing this thread off on another divisive debate, I realize there are numerous opinions. My own position would be considered to be "Passive euthanasia." Ie. let nature take it's course. Don't spend a fortune on trying to keep me alive for one more miserable month.

Main fear of active euthanasia is that some disinterested "doctor?" or greedy relative might decide its about time to get rid of the old dog before his time. After all there could be a lot of money / property involved here and that is a powerful motivator.

I understand that in the Netherlands some old timers are scared to go into the hospital in case somebody decides their number is up. Not sure if this is true or not BTW.

• Upvote 3

Euthanasia.

do you want another 10 mins or shall we do it now?

10 mins please'

says it all methinks.

• Upvote 1

The bill for someone with dementia,that has potential to live a few

years,could give a tool to greedy relatives through euthanasia to get

the full inheritance,dementia sufferers could potentially be manipulated,but if fully diognosed would lose capacity.

• Upvote 3

I agree with you Ioppylugs, with your reasoning there are some unscrupulous doctors and family members out there but I also agree with bibraborn's thread. I know if my quality of life deteriorated to the extent I couldn't use the ablutions unaided or didn't recognise my family I wouldn't wish to live. I have told my wife of my wishes not too sure if she takes them serious enough.

I do respect your views and I hope you respect mine.

• Upvote 2

Benjamin I know where you are coming from but I am not talking about 10minutes I talking about years of misery and pain. I know, I watched my dad suffer the indignity of growing old from being independent happy go luck man to a miserable, aggressive, dependent soulless individual. And he had his family round him who cared and supported him.

• Upvote 1

Certainly respect your views Robbie. I guess we are all a bit gun-shy about how differing views can become a problem. Euthanasia is a potentially hot one, although it really doen't need to be. I have a living will that instructs, do not rescusitate. Also carry a note in my wallet with the same instructions. Whether anybody would respect that would be out of my hands if I were already unconscious due to a car accident or heart attack. My wife knows my wishes, but who really knows what anyone would do in a crisis situation.

• Upvote 2

#33 loppylugs,

Just like Benjamin's thread #28, you can not argue with it, you are both right, it really is a very contentious and personal subject so unless you are faced with a life or death decision you will never know, I only hope if I am faced with such a decision I have the guts to go through with it.

I do like your idea of carry around a note in your wallet, I am going to do that, put it along side my donor card.

There have been quite a few SF stories dealing with a contract for life; voluntary euthanasia at 65 for example. Considering the regard given by society to the elderly and the trend of these things nowadays, can it be too far in the future when such a policy may be adopted? Let's face it, when we reach a useless age for work and are no longer state supporting units, we become an embarrassment to the system and even now are being sidelined in the scheme of things. Being a knackered old git already, I don't think I'll see it but younger generations, the ones who regard oldies as an unnecessary burden today, should look to their own senior years.

• Upvote 2

Robbie and loppy, good idea about carrying a note,..............i might do that,.......just hope nobody finds it......lol.

• Upvote 3

There is a shortage of organ donors in the UK. If euthanasia was legalized it makes you wonder if the people who go into hospital will get the best treatment to keep them alive. The Government are talking about people having to 'opt out' rather than 'opt in' to being an organ donor.

Last week my Father in Law went into a local care home for a week whilst his wife went away for a respite break.

He had a stroke in November 2013 effecting him physically, putting him in a wheelchair and needing carers.

The home and its staff were very good but all the residents he was with had dementia!

I visited him every day and it was very sad to see these people, and those relatives that visited their spouses and parents.I said at the time, before this thread started, "If I get this way, Shoot Me"

My own father lived in Los Angeles, where I visited him for 4 weeks every year since I traced him in 1995.

He lived independently until he was about 92. Then I found people at the apartment block were taking advantage of him, taking his money.

I contacted social workers who assessed him and moved him to a similar establishment! After that he deteriorated rapidly! until he died at the

age of 96. I still maintain, if he had been left, he would have lived longer and kept more of his marbles.

If you want to keep all your marbles, don't play with kids that don't have any!

• Upvote 3

Mental stimulation ,and mobilisation are vital no matter how restricted it is our life line,example even limited mobilisation should be kept and if possible improved and aids mental stimulation.

Old people with a alert minds should be placed with like minded conditions,I know that the elderly with severe dementia or the like do affect the well being of the elderly with mental capacity ,in that

dementia can show itself in repepitive behavior that annoys the elderly struggling to cope with their own illnesses.

Caring for dementia is a very specilised skill ,and we has a society

should start to train care staff properly,instead of providing a

£7 per hour service,that is supposed to deal with really complex needs

across all of the care sector.

Once released from a specilised service you are in the lap of the gods

to where you end up ,sometimes one person really needs one to one support,to be sure of some sort of protection from the problems dementia has left them with,ie wandering,standing when no stability,

proper training and I mean proper training is needed ,with enhanced

pay for skill gained.

• Upvote 3

we both worked hard to buy and pay for our first house in Dunstan street Netherfield. Cost, £750 over seven years (1960's) during that time there was a tax introduced called 'Schedule A Tax.' then it was stopped does anyone know what it was for and why and where did it vanish to?

Schedule A was a tax which was based on the assumed rental value of your house. The principle was that if you let your house you would have an income and that if you chose to occupy the house then you were liable for that assumed rent. This was added to your income tax assesment and offset by a notional repairs and maintenance amount. It was around from the start of the 19th century until 1963 when it was abolished for owner occupiers. It formed part of the introduction of Income Tax by Pitt the Younger.

Schedule A was tax on income from land

Schedule B was tax on commercial land

Schedule C, D and E wwere on other forms of income