We used to do the same. We would sit on the Kerb in Gedling and collect the Car Reg numbers in our little books. I had forgotton all about it until Lizzie said in #67. I remember learning the names of all the cars that past us by, and could recognise them by the mascot or badge on the bonnet.

Another one of those games that didn't cost a penny.

I can still name more cars from the 1950s than todays models.

We used to find fun in anything, I can't imagine seeing a group of children, sitting on the pavement today taking car numbers. As Melissa says "It could be against the law these days"!

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rubbish!....You put on here anything you think will be of interest. Those with their own books won't need to read it....others with no interest aren't forced to read it... But some of us are interest

GOOD EXAMPLE OF A BRAIN STUDY: IF YOU CAN READ THIS OUT LOUD YOU HAVE A STRONG MIND. AND BETTER THAN THAT: ALZHEIMER'S IS A LONG, LONG, WAYS DOWN THE ROAD BEFORE IT EVER GETS ANYWHERE NEAR YOU. TO MY

The latest book I am reading is on Nottingham and published in 1938 has come up with some very interesting facts . Did you Know? After the War, Nottingham was faced with a serious housing shortage.

Me and my mate used to sit on the entrance gates to the Embankment, collecting car numbers as they went through. We used to be in competition as to who could get the most, the loser buying the suckers. He was always winning, until I found out the crafty sod was making half of his up.

• Upvote 2

I use to collect car reg numbers. I thought I was the only person that did that

Count me in there as well.

Me and my mate used to sit on the entrance gates to the Embankment, collecting car numbers as they went through.

I used to sit, with various people, at the foot of this old oak tree near the entrance to Clifton Estate, collecting car numbers. That road is now a bit bigger (it's the newly-enlarged A453)

cliff_1.jpg

And you can also see the house where we lived.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Apparently, when the Clifton estate was first being built in the late forties, the only bus for the new residents was the South Notts from Loughborough to Nottingham and back. It only stopped at the one place, the oak tree, and everyone had to walk from there.

True, my mum and dad used that bus. But in those early days the houses didn't extend much beyond what you can see in the photo, so there wasn't anyone who had a long walk. And right up to his later days, my dad always referred to those services as the "main road buses".

By the time the estate had expanded, the City Transport / South Notts / WBUDC buses were running up Farnborough Road and Southchurch Drive.

And very soon, of course, the residents will have the delights of the tram to amuse them.