Kevin Keegan and Henry Cooper. Splash it all over. Still makes me shudder!

That last AD on post one, i just cant work out wether it was cheaper to be a man or a woman, and if you were an executive needing tests did you get a doctor to do the job? Perhaps a warning given the current NHS fashion for reform and outsourcing. And why did OAPs get a 50% discount? was it just a quickie? Scary. Isn't that image Brill? If they put you under the microscope you came out with a fashionable haircut and a blonde on your arm. What did the ladies get? Tell me girls.

Some of the adverts are very funny and it's interesting that we remember a lot of the products and even how the jingles go - even after decades.

Just shows how good people were at selling in those days.

Now all they know is repitition and irritation. In-yer-face advertising. Shouting, and of course, lying.

You'd be hard pressed to remember a TV advert from yesterday.

I was lucky enough to meet a guy called John Webster in the 80's who was something of a legend as far as advertising goes and I remember 2 things he said that were very pertinent.

Firstly, you can't irritate people into buying things. If you push something relentlessly then people will just turn off and think that it must be rubbish if needs to be pushed so much. Advertising needs to be subtle.

Secondly, the best way of selling anything is to come up with a great product.

• 3 weeks later...