Pedometer challenge

I'm still counting my steps and boringly still only averaging 6,500 a day but I do find it interesting and fun. I have no desire to go on a route march to get my count up but I shall continue wearing the pedometer and who knows, when the weather picks up I may take the dog longer walks.

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another busy day at Sunny: and very Windy Lytham St Anns. From 12oclock, we have been cycling or walking all afternoon: and I have finally used my Pedometer properly. Most days I have been forgetting

Feel like I'm missing out on the fun (?) here. Better get myself a pedometer and walk the dog more often.

Today my fellow Pedometerists, we have excelled ourselves. We have been working up to attempting our Lytham St Anns to Clevelys cycle ride all week,and today the wind was calmer so we took the plunge

6500 is a good step count Lizzie and probably above average for many people.

When first diagnosed with diabetes my doctor told me I should aim for 6000 steps a day to help control it. If I didn't work at it by using the treadmill or going for extra walks I would only average around 2-3000 steps a day most days. Though when the children were younger it was much more I expect as I used to walk to school and back twice every day, 3/4 mile each way, with the pony, as well as mucking out stables and taking the dogs for walks...often before I had my breakfast! Sadly as the children grew up and the animals passed away my exercise dwindled.

Now we don't have any pets as I feel it would not be kind to leave them cooped up in the caravan all day while we worked, and our lifestyle has changed so I have to go that extra mile to make sure I get the right amount of exercise for my health. What I am amazed at, is that now I am almost addicted to exercise and feel bad if I feel I haven't reached my daily target of 6000 steps, any more is a bonus for me. I have even added skipping to my list as I found my skipping rope the other day while sorting stuff out ready for moving...I am sorry to say I need a bit more practice at it too, what has happened to my girlhood skills!!!

• Upvote 1

Well done Lizzie,average of 6500 steps a day takes some keeping up, pleased you find the challenge interesting and fun, thats what it's all about and any health benefits that come out of it has to be a bonus,

carni, 5365 steps is not being lazy,they all go to helping you to become fitter and healthier

darkazana,6164 steps and sorting out the electrical problem,I'm well impressed

Back to work today with quite a bit of office work to be done but I must get out on site to keep my steps level up now,this is the last week of the challenge at work so I need to do that little bit extra, the five guy's who are in my team have shown quite a bit of interest in the challenge and have taken part with enthusiasm, who knows it might lead to them keeping it up and getting that bit healthier

Well done all and keeeeep stepping

Rog

I can't believe its the last week of the challenge...didn't that go quickly. Well done to everyone who has joined in. It is great to share the experience with others.

Today I was outside and manage to remove a barrowful of nettle roots (suspect my shoulders will feel it tomorrow) and put in my bin lid pond. Total steps 8175.

• Upvote 1

That is a good total darkzana, I think you can definately expect sore mussles after all that tugging. and yes it has gone so quickly. I have enjoyed taking part so much. It really gave me a boost to my getting back to fitness plan.

Today we have restarted our Canal Towpath rides and I have written down our routes in a little book. I will be checking our speeds and Times and distances and noteing them at the side of each route. When the challenge ends, I will carry on checking my steps and cycle convertions, so I will know at a glance how i'm doing.

I do think I need to carry on doing my own challenge, because since retireing, it is so easy to get a little bit idle and think "Oh i'll do it tomorrow" A big thankyou to plantfit for sharing the challenge with us all. We were out for two and half hrs, but due to stopping along the way, Chatting and shopping, we cycled for about 1 hr 45mins, I worked it out at 7mph even though we reached 9/10mph at times.

Cycling ....6,839. Walking with Ped on....2,400... total 9,239. Feeling Happy. keeeeeep Stepping.

• Upvote 1

Well I keep looking at this thread and now I have been and gone and put a pedometer app on my phone. Lets see if it works!

• Upvote 5

Fantastic step counts from everyone, can't believe the challenge is in the final few days, my collective steps upto present is an amazing 199,130 should reach quarter of a million by the time I've finished at midnight on Sunday, all those steps for not much extra effort, unbelievable and I'm feeling much fitter, breathing a lot easier, with a bit of luck I should be able to get the trike out and start triking again (whoopey)

congratulations to everyone who has taken part, I never thought it would generate so much interest,steps for yesterday 8985 office bound for most of the day, will try harder today.

carni, pleased you have decided to carry on stepping and so pleased you have got some health benefits from the challenge, we all must do it again in the future

Keeeeep stepping

Rog

• Upvote 2

Pianoman, great news, I'm sure you won't regret it, it's amazing how quickly the steps mount up, for some reason you want to get more step each day a bit like a personal competition and it's a bit of fun with the possibility of health benefits, (cheaper and easier than going to the gym)

Rog

4248 today already. I would call that a normal day. Today I went for a blood test early morning so I have done the walk up Mansfield Road earlier than I usually might. I am surprised that it is 1800 steps each way just for the hill!

Well I am a bit gobsmacked at how far I walk in a day. 8392 steps - 3.84 miles. 292 active calories, 1871 total calories. And I got a silver medal for achieving over 8000 steps.

• Upvote 5

Good for you Pianoman, See those steps mount up. The challenge really does give an added interest to getting fit. You can actually read your achievements as you are walking, which gives encouragement to keep going a bit longer. Good results everyone.

Well, I share my good results with you all, so I must share my low ones as well. Today I have been to Nottingham for most of the day: so sitting in the car for a total of four hours, (we travel round the lanes, which makes the journey longer), then sitting chatting for an hour or so. Arriving home and time to prepare Dinner, has left no time for exercising today. So my lowest count since the challenge began is 3,355. But so long as that doesn't happen every day, I can catch up tomorrow, weather permitting, I will make it up cycling.

Keep going everyone. You can only win by getting fitter.. thumbsup

• Upvote 1

Well done Pianoman, a great start for you.

We all have slow days Carni, and sometimes you need a break, I think it was Sunday when I had my low count, but I had a lovely day just chilling.

An average day for me today, but considering it was my turn in the office not a bad count 6192. Half day off tomorrow so anything could happen there!!!

• Upvote 2

Pianoman, great achievement at 8392 first off and a silver medal to go with them,

carni,3355 steps not to be sniffed at as they say,try adding all your steps together since you started the challenge,you will be amazed at what you've done

darkazana,6192 is not a bad count at all considering most of the day was office bound

stuff the office yesterday I got out on site, it was a nice day blue skies,plenty of sunshine although a chilly wind,anyway managed to rack up 10106 steps,most of these were after lunch when I had what we on site call our "cob shop day" mine consisted of 2 bacon,2 sausage and 2 hash browns, all got from the Cob Shop in Coningsby (naughty but nice) legs aching today but not as much as last week so I might be getting used to this walking/stepping lark.

well done everyone and keeeeeeep stepping

Rog

6192, darkazana,That is really good, especially as you were in the office, you must have kept yourself quite mobile. 10106 Steps plantfit Great Stuff, You needed all that fuel yesterday to give you energy for your high step count. :biggrin: Thankyou fellow steppists for your encouragement, after my low count yesterday. You have spurred me on. Hubbs is getting the Bikes out as I type, so I had better get a move on! Trying to ignore the "Black Cloud" creeping over the house. Be back with results tonight. Happy Stepping Everyone. :)

Well Pedometerists, today we have been out cycling for 2hrs at average 7mph, 30mins deducted for Ducks etc. 5,859

Pedometer 2,429

Total 8,288

So far. First days total entered on May 5th. For 24days Total steps to date 227,653 divided by 24days =average 9,485 daily steps. ( I Think)?

This is only a very rough estimate. My cycling has all been worked out at average 7mph, though it did vary according to conditions.

One thing I have learnt from this challenge, is that I have to move around more at home, because if it wasn't for the cycling, my steps would be to low to be healthy. I will make an effort to be more mobile at home, because I know I will break my promise to myself if I say I will go walking more often. :biggrin:

I have enjoyed participating in the challenge so much, and I am now aware of what I must do to get fit. Good Luck everyone. Keeeep Stepping.

PS. Don't forget, some of my high step counts were because I was on holiday!

• Upvote 1

I am still surprised how far I walk in one day without doing any sort of challenge. This is just normal for me purely because I don't drive unnecessarily. Today 7529 steps, 3.44 miles, and I got a bronze medal this time for over 5000 steps. Steady day tomorrow tho' (I think).

Half day at work today, but we had loo duty, so that helps as we have two blocks on site and I did a return trip taking some supplies up to the top block after I had finished my cleaning duty.

Then it was a leisurely lunch as we did not have to go back to work, followed by shopping at Morrisons in Kings Lynn. Put everything away and cup of tea time with some serious tapestry work.

Then I'm sorry to say it was get tea ready time and prepare the lemon and raspberry fresh cream sponge which I had made for our friends whose chucks we have been minding....used their chucks eggs in the sponge. Followed by a trip to see them, a glass of wine, then a coffee with cake....so I shall probably have to do some serious diet reparation now, though sponge cake is allowed in small measures.......Thank goodness I did my 30 day fitness exercises before we went over there!

So after all this indulgence my step total today is 6891.

Now that we are no longer house sitting I shall be resuming my walks around the site and through the woods which I have missed the last couple of weeks, and maybe even get the bikes out, there is a great 15 mile circular route which I would like a crack at before we leave here.

So, fellow Pedomstrists, if the actual challenge ends this week shall we still be reporting in with our progress? It has been really interesting reading about everyones efforts and results.

• Upvote 1

#194. Malcolm. When you come to the next meet-up, try walking from Eastwood to the Roebuck, and back. I'm sure we would all be interested to know how many steps it took. :jumping:

• Upvote 2

darkazana, good idea to keep the challenge going, I'm up for it, it's been good fun and interesting to read all the posts,and hopefully we have got a bit fitter, I know I feel a lot better especially with my breathing but general fitness as well as feeling good about myself so a lot of benefit there.

My steps for yesterday were 14201, I was well pleased with that I even took a photo of my stepometer which i will try to post on here when I get home, well done everyone, you are just brilliant and now healthier

Keeeeep stepping

Rog

• Upvote 1

#194. Malcolm. When you come to the next meet-up, try walking from Eastwood to the Roebuck, and back. I'm sure we would all be interested to know how many steps it took. :jumping:

I've walked further than that before now!

• Upvote 2

Woohoo Rog, well done!

Don't think I'll put a photo of todays measly office bound steps of 3236 ....mind you my mind has been doing Olympic gymnastics so perhaps that will help today yada

• Upvote 1